U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:18 AM

668 posts, read 28,222 times
Haile Selassie never considered himself a "messiah", and was pexplexed when Jamaican faithful "Rastamen" would show up at the palace.

But the Rasta's faith is as strong as any I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 AM

It's slow out there so I will elaborate.

The above Wiki-description of Rastafarianism, is pretty much the way I understand it, and contains many facts which I, as a laymen did not know.

I love the lyrics by Bob Marley called the "Rastaman Chant/Song":

Hear the words of the Rastaman say!...Babylon o h oh ect...Babylon o oh..

Here the words of the Ironman say!...Babylon oh oh oh oh Babylon oh oh oh.

(STRONGLY), I WILL FLY MY WAY HOME TO ZION""" (background) "fly my way home"...

Again: Fly my way home to Zion (fly my way home).

One bright morning, when my work is over I will fly my way home....

I can't explain it, but it is very intense... Chills hit me when I hear Marley sing this. Much of his stuff was commercial, but not this one. Many other Rasta bands play religious music all the time and it goes on unnoticed. My favorite Rasta band "Black Uhuru" has more thn 30 albums and are as spiritual as they come.

I follow their music more than the other Christian hymns. They sing beautiful Christian songs, and they have been for 30 years or more years .

These folks are serious about their religion, and in my opinion it is a valid one.

But in the end, it's the big Kahunas judgement that matters!

Start with Marley's "Rastaman Chant", then move on to Black Uhuru. If you care to understand what these people are saying.

BTW: Babylon is considered a bad thing, as it means organized civilization. The jamaicans have been victims of "Babylon" for hundreds of years.

One UB40 song says in one of their songs: "You are the Babylon", which was preaching to young gangsters. Calling them the "Babylon" was a huge insult to the young punks.

So people, lets all get along, and may no one make a "Babylon" out of themselves.

Peace to I and I, (me and my soul)

Trebek

Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 1,460,036 times
Default Treu Trebek

True Trebek,

Every time now after this - when I hear most of B. Marley's songs I get that intense chill too because now I am trying to understand what he is really trying to say.....instead of just bumping to it.

One other strange thing we discovered was that most of B. Marley's songs have links to bible verses:

"If, as Nathaniel Murrell and Lewin Williams point out, that “it is almost impossible to discuss any Rastafarian doctrine without reference to Scripture,” it might be said that a fullness of understanding of the music of Bob Marley is similarly thwarted without reference to his sources, chief among them the Bible. The Biblical grounding of Marley’s music, it seems, doesn’t play as well as beer-lizards padding along on television to the sound of “Jamming” or the touristification of his life as we find in the form of a replica of his home on display in Florida. Not surprisingly, Marley’s songs survival, uprising and confrontation reflect the language of contrast and the themes of Proverbs in ways which remain under-acknowledged[i]. His songs, from as early as 1963 till the end of his life, bear the mark and the residue of the book of Proverbs"

Song
Who The Cap Fit: - Some will eat and drink with you, then behind and suss upon you.

Bible
He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me
Matthew 26:23
--------------
Song
Zion Train: - Don't gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is worth more than silver or gold..

Bible
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain therof than fine gold.
Proverbs 3:13,14
--------------

This religion is really deep - below are some links:

Interview with Bob Marley

Musings: The Bible and Bob Marley

Bob Marley in Light of the Proverbs (http://www.stchas.edu/faculty/mkuelker/inlightoftheproverbs.html - broken link)

Wisdom of Bob Marley

==============

Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,731,471 times

Rastafarian last supper

Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM

508 posts, read 1,101,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Do they? Please offer more proof, and I know I'm not an expert. I do here them talk a lot about God. I and I would like to hear more about God as well. Jesus and God to me are the same. I thought they were the same to all Christians.

If they believe in God, and see "Hailli Salasse" as a great man that helped the African people, to the point of worship. I have no problems. I am not God, and I won't venture to guess their legitamacy? It's not my job to.
But their faith is sincere.

Trebek
The prime basic belief of the Rastafarians is that Haile Selassie is the living God for the black race. Selassie, whose previous name was Ras Tafari, was the black Emperor of Ethiopia. According to Rastafarian philosophy, the scriptures phrophecied him as the one with "the hair of whose head was like wool (matted hair of a black man), whose feet were like unto burning brass (black skin)". Rastas believe that Selassie was the Jesus that Christianity speaks of; that the white man tricked the world into believing that he was a White man. Many Rastas do not believe Haile Selassie I is dead. They believed that it was a trick of the media to try and bring their faith down because Rastas believe that true Rastas are immortal. To compensate for his death they believe that his atoms spread through out the world and became part of new babies, therefore, his life is never ending. The Rastafarian name for God is Jah.
Ethiopia specifically, African in general, is considered the Rastas' heaven on earth. It is also referred to as Zion. There is no afterlife or hell as Christianity believes. The Rastas feel that their ancestors did something to offend Jah which brought them into an exile of slavery in the Western World such as the Caribbean.
Babylon is the Rastafarian term for the white political power structure that has been holding the black race down for centuries. In the past, the Rastas see that blacks were held down physicaly by the shackles of slavery. In the present, Rastas feel that blacks are still held down through poverty, illiteracy, inequality, and trickery by the white man. The effort of the Rastas is to try to remind blacks of their heritage and have them stand up against this Babylon.
The Rasta's believe that Jah will send the signal and help finance the blacks exodus back to Ethiopian, their homeland. Any news from Ethiopia was taken very seriously as a warning to get ready to leave. The belief stems from Marcus Garvey's theme, "Back to Africa". Although Selassie's death came before this was possible, it did succeed in turning blacks desire to look towards Africa as their roots.
Ganja, or better known to non-Rastas as Marijuana, is used for religious purposes for the Rastafarians. They find its use written in the Bible in Psalms 104:14, "He causeth the grass for the cattle, and herb for the service of man". The use of this herb is very extensive among the Rastas not only for spiritual purposes as in their Nyabingi celebration, but also for medicinal purposes for colds and such. Other names for it are Iley, callie, and holy herb. Following are a few of the many Biblical texts that Rastas embrace as reasons God, or Jah, gave them the use of the herb:

Taken from: Rastafarianism (broken link)

Rastafarians
{rah - stuh - far' - ee - uhnz}
General Information

Rastafarians are members of a Jamaican messianic movement dating back to the 1930s; in 1974 they were estimated to number 20,000 in Jamaica. According to Rastafarian belief the only true God is the late Ethiopian emperor Haile Selassie (originally known as Ras Tafari), and Ethiopia is the true Zion. Rastafarians claim that white Christian preachers and missionaries have perverted the Scriptures to conceal the fact that Adam and Jesus were black. Their rituals include the use of marijuana and the chanting of revivalist hymns. Reggae music is the popular music of the movement. The Rastafarians, who stress black separatism, have exercised some political influence in Jamaica.
BELIEVE
Religious
Information
Source
web-site
Our List of 1,300 Religious Subjects
Bibliography:
L E Barrett, The Rastafarians: Sounds of Cultural Dissonance (1977); B Sparrow and T Nicholas, Rastafari: A Way of Life (1979).

Taken from: Rastafarians

Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia (Ge'ez: ኃይለ፡ ሥላሴ, "Power of the Trinity," full title "His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings of Ethiopia and Elect of God" Ge'ez ግርማዊ፡ ቀዳማዊ፡ አፄ፡ ኃይለ፡ ሥላሴ፡ ሞዓ፡ [sic] አንበሳ፡ ዘእምነገደ፡ ይሁዳ፡ ንጉሠ፡ ነገሥት፡ ዘኢትዮጵያ፡ ሰዩመ፡ እግዚአብሔር girmāwī ḳadāmāwī 'aṣē ḫāylē śillāsē, mō'ā 'anbassā za'imnaggada yīhūda nigūsa nagast za'ītyōṗṗyā, siyūma 'igzī'a'bihēr) (born Lij Tafari Makonnen Ge'ez ልጅ፡ ተፈሪ፡ መኮንን, Amharic pronunciation lij teferī mekōnnin, July 23, 1892 – August 27, 1975) was de jure Emperor of Ethiopia from 1930 to 1974 and de facto from 1916 to 1936 and 1941 to 1974. He is also widely known as the religious symbol for God incarnate among the Rastafari movement, founded in Jamaica in the early 1930s. To Ethiopians he has been known by many names, including Janhoy, Talaqu Meri, Abba Tekel, amongst others.

Today Haile Selassie I is widely known as God incarnate among followers of the Rastafari movement, which emerged in Jamaica during the 1930s under the influence of Marcus Garvey's "Back to Africa" movement, and as the Black Messiah who will lead the peoples of Africa and the African diaspora to freedom. He has been greatly popularised through reggae music and also the distinctive dreadlocks of the Rastafari, along with their worship of him using cannabis as a sacred herb which they believe brings them closer to him and has become the basis for claims of religious persecution against the Rastafari movement. His official titles, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, King of Kings and Elect of God, and his traditional lineage from Solomon and Sheba, are seen to be confirmation of the titles of the returned Messiah in the prophetic Book of Revelation in the New Testament: King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah and Root of David. The faith in the incarnate divinity of Emperor Haile Selassie I began after news reports of his coronation reached Jamaica, particularly via the two Time magazine articles about the coronation the week before and the week after the event. He is considered to be the King and God before whom no other shall stand. Selassie's own spiritual teachings permeate the philosophy of the movement.

When Haile Selassie I visited Jamaica on April 21, 1966, somewhere between one and two hundred thousand Rastafari from all over Jamaica descended on Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston, having heard that the man whom they considered to be God was coming to visit them. Cannabis was widely and openly smoked. When Haile Selassie I arrived at the airport he refused to get off the aeroplane for an hour until Mortimer Planner, a well known Rasta, persuaded him that it was safe to do so. From then on the visit was a success. Rita Marley, Bob Marley's wife, converted to the Rastafarian faith after seeing Haile Selassie I. She claimed, in interviews, that she saw scars on the palms of Selassie's hands (as he waved to the crowd) that resembled the envisioned markings on Christ's hands from being nailed to the cross — a claim that was never supported by other sources, but nonetheless, a claim that was used as evidence for her and other Rastafarians to suggest that Selassie I was indeed their Messiah.

[edit] Haile Selassie I's attitude to the Rastafarians
Haile Selassie I had no role in organising or promoting the Rastafari movement, which for many Rastas is seen as proof of his divinity, in that he was no false prophet claiming to be God in order to enjoy the benefits of being a cult leader. He was a devout member of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, as demanded by his political role in Ethiopia, and it was to his role as Emperor of Ethiopia that he devoted his life. His publicly known views towards the Rastafarians varied from sympathy to polite interest reinforced by the fact that his political inclinations, including African emancipation, were those of the Rastafari movement.

Yet in his speeches and writings there is substantial material about the spiritual life, and he often addressed his audience in the tone of a spiritual teacher. For instance, he wrote "Knowing that material and spiritual progress are essential to man, we must work ceaselessly for the attainment of both… No one should question the faith of others, for no human can judge the ways of God". During the Emperor's visit to Jamaica, he told Rastafari community leaders that they should not emigrate to Ethiopia until they had liberated the people of Jamaica. On another occasion Selassie said "We have been a child, a boy, a youth, an adult, and finally an old man. Like everyone else. Our Lord the Creator made us like everyone else," (in an interview with Oriana Fallaci, Chicago Tribune, June 24, 1973) and the Rastafarians do see Selassie as man or flesh incarnate. On numerous occasions Selassie expressed his belief in his faith, stating that one is doomed apart from faith in Christ, who in the Tewahido faith is considered both man and God: "A rudderless ship is at the mercy of the waves and the wind, drifts wherever they take it and if there arises a whirlwind it is smashed against the rocks and becomes as if it has never existed. It is our firm belief that a soul without Christ is bound to meet with no better fate." (One Race, One Gospel, One Task, address to the World Evangelical Congress, Berlin, October 28, 1966). He also encouraged religious freedom and tolerance. "Since nobody can interfere in the realm of God we should tolerate and live side by side with those of other faiths… We wish to recall here the spirit of tolerance shown by Our Lord Jesus Christ when He gave forgiveness to all including those that crucified Him." (op. cit.).

In order to help the Rastas and their aspirations of returning to Africa the Emperor donated a piece of land at Shashamane, 250 km south of Addis Ababa, for the use of Jamaican Rastafarians and there is a community there to this day.

Taken from: Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me this is proof enough. The religion reeks of racial segregation, illicit drug use, paranoia, and misguided theology.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM

954 posts, read 31,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA2125 View Post

Our Saviour has walked this earth, and there is much evidence and facts that he lived, died and rose again.
Would you like to try and convince us of that?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
In order to help the Rastas and their aspirations of returning to Africa the Emperor donated a piece of land at Shashamane, 250 km south of Addis Ababa, for the use of Jamaican Rastafarians and there is a community there to this day.

Taken from: Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For me this is proof enough. The religion reeks of racial segregation, illicit drug use, paranoia, and misguided theology.
Those are some pretty harsh words directed at someone elses religion.
Whats your religion?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 AM

10 posts, read 108,445 times
i love rastafari and reggae im christian but rastafarnism is not a religion its a system in which you conduct your on life rastas basic text is the Bible so in theory rastas are christian bob marley believe salassie was jesus not all rastas believe that the rasta man's diet and quest for world peace and overall values and is enough for me to approve highly of them im speaking of true to the core rastas that is

Old 05-29-2008, 02:06 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,133,304 times
I fully support the Rastas struggle against Babylon.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 AM

10 posts, read 108,445 times
yeah we are all living in babylon and unless we can find away out the human race is going to h3ll whether we like it or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality