Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

I had read, years back, that it was the black man's reaction to white oppression. We don't know if Christ would come back as a rasta, do we?

As for cults, every religion is a cult. The ones that the establishment of a country recognizes(it suits their ends) are called religions.

Scientology is a religion in the US, with tax exempt status. That means our tax dollars must make up for those that Scientoloty does not pay.

Whenever something is declared a religion, it pushes an additional tax burdon on the rest of us.

Scientology, a religion in the US, is considered organized crime in Germany, where it is illegal. So long as you are considered a religion in the US you can get away with a great deal. Look at how long it took our government to crack down on pedophiles in the church. It should have stormed in and confiscated records. It would have for any other organization. Look at how easy it treats the fundie LDS church in Texas, even though they are brainwashing young kids, given them an incomplete education so they cannot survive in the outside world, and use young girls as sex slaves.

There are dogs found by police, trucks full, crossing state borders. Most any state. Some were found to be household pets. Some were never reunited with their owners, but were full grown so no one wanted them in the pound. These poor animals were captured, to be used as sacrifies in Santoria or VooDoo ceremonies. The state of Florida passed a law that you could not sacrifice animals as part of your religion. The fundamentalists in the state went to the Supreme Court and nullified the law because it was interfereing with religous freedom.

Frankly, I cannot understand what criteria the government uses to designate one thing as religion and another as a cult. I also do not understand how at least some claim tax exempt status when they are flagrantly social organizations which apply pressure on the government over political issues. What ever happened to 'render unto Caesar . . .?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I had read, years back, that it was the black man's reaction to white oppression. We don't know if Christ would come back as a rasta, do we?

As for cults, every religion is a cult. The ones that the establishment of a country recognizes(it suits their ends) are called religions.

Scientology is a religion in the US, with tax exempt status. That means our tax dollars must make up for those that Scientoloty does not pay.

Whenever something is declared a religion, it pushes an additional tax burdon on the rest of us.

Scientology, a religion in the US, is considered organized crime in Germany, where it is illegal. So long as you are considered a religion in the US you can get away with a great deal. Look at how long it took our government to crack down on pedophiles in the church. It should have stormed in and confiscated records. It would have for any other organization. Look at how easy it treats the fundie LDS church in Texas, even though they are brainwashing young kids, given them an incomplete education so they cannot survive in the outside world, and use young girls as sex slaves.

There are dogs found by police, trucks full, crossing state borders. Most any state. Some were found to be household pets. Some were never reunited with their owners, but were full grown so no one wanted them in the pound. These poor animals were captured, to be used as sacrifies in Santoria or VooDoo ceremonies. The state of Florida passed a law that you could not sacrifice animals as part of your religion. The fundamentalists in the state went to the Supreme Court and nullified the law because it was interfereing with religous freedom.

Frankly, I cannot understand what criteria the government uses to designate one thing as religion and another as a cult. I also do not understand how at least some claim tax exempt status when they are flagrantly social organizations which apply pressure on the government over political issues. What ever happened to 'render unto Caesar . . .?'
I agree 100%.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 146,410 times
so what does the government consider rastafarnism a cult? i hope not once something is labeled it tends 2 lose some its integrity

Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times
Rastafarianism is sometimes considered a cult/movement by society and government but like you stated once something is labeled it loses some integrity. Nobody labels christians as a wine drinking cult/movement but rastas have been called way more several names and why?

"Queen Elizabeth I of England and the notorious pirate John Hawkins, established the West India Slave Trading company. Queen Elizabeth I bestowed knighthood upon John Hawkins. She commissioned a fleet of ships to Sir John Hawkins to increase the slave trading between Africa and the British West Indies. The flag ship was the Slave Ship (S. S.) Jesus of Lubeck. Another was the The S. S. Zong.

During the Atlantic voyage (the Middle Passage), any slave that was ill or became weak due to severe whippings and hostile conditions, was simply tossed overboard and fed to the sharks. After much suffering and forceful subjection to learning the English Language, slaves were told to work until "Jesus" came. The Slaves thought that meant S. S. Jesus of Lubeck, would return to take them back to Africa"

I beg to differ but would let sleeping dogs lie now...!!!

===========

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankjr View Post
so what does the government consider rastafarnism a cult? i hope not once something is labeled it tends 2 lose some its integrity

Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,200,158 times
Back a while ago when the whole rasta movement started it was labeled as a political movement because the people being oppressed wanted to be free and only way they could do that was to break the chains of oppression by wearing dreads, listening to their own music etc. Back then we can say it was a race related movement but now it is open to any race.

I have seen almost every and any race practicing rasta and I personally saw most of this at a rastafarian church in Brooklyn. I was surprised myself and asked the same question - the elders were like if God loves us all there is no need to differentiate because we are all human and what color one is does not mean they are bad.

==============

Quote:
thats pretty interesting however i am somewhat concern that rastafarinism might be a race related movement that could make people of other races shy away from the movement

Old 05-29-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
During the Atlantic voyage (the Middle Passage), any slave that was ill or became weak due to severe whippings and hostile conditions, was simply tossed overboard and fed to the sharks. After much suffering and forceful subjection to learning the English Language, slaves were told to work until "Jesus" came. The Slaves thought that meant S. S. Jesus of Lubeck, would return to take them back to Africa"
===========
I remember hearing this, too, but not the name of the ship.

So much injustice has been done under the banner of religion. It continues till this day. People can pick and choose verses from the bible to justify practically anything. There has to be a higher morality than the things mentioned in the bible, where it was just fine to have slaves.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
i dont know of a passage in the bible that says its ok to have slaves thats not cool at all
You're right - slaveowning is definitely not cool.
I'm sure that one of our resident bible scholars can point you to the verses that approve it, though. They are in there.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
i dont know of a passage in the bible that says its ok to have slaves thats not cool at all
The thing is, most households mentioned in the bible HAD slaves. It was normal to them, like having a microwave is to us.

The bible says nothing against it, but just accepts that this is the way people should live.

The word 'servant' and 'slave' can be used interchangably. They are not hired help, but people you OWN, to do with as you wish.

When the Islamic person claims to be a slave of God, the Christian would say he is God's servant.

Slaveowners would point to the bible and claim that God intended for slaves, since so many of his people had them. We know better, now, and many good Christians in earlier days objected, but still, the 'excuse' was there. It is hard to relate to a society that believed such things, but people did, and the bible gave that legitimacy in their eyes.

So, you can see where a whole society misconstrued what is right and good by using the bible as an example. It should be a lesson to us to be very careful when we think that God wants something that may 'seem' like the thing to do, but may really be, in the long haul, damaging for society.

Years back, when I went to church as a child, you can imagine the tough time they had with me, questioning eveything. What they finally said is that each one of us must read the bible and pray, and ask for guidance individually, and not allow the revelations given to other people to guide me, but just my own personal relationship. God has different things planned for each of us and nobody can tell you what that is but that 'voice' within.

So, from that, you can see how various well intentioned Christians can have very different opinions on certain issues and still be correct and still Christian.

That was a good little church, believing in the individual. Many churches today seem to be going the other way, telling people what God wants for them. This may be good if you cannot read the bible for yourself, but once you are old enough to read churches should back off. It is like the good mother who rears her child to be independent. 'Love your children with open arms.' This is the highest calling of motherhood, to have free and independent children who think for themselves.

I really detest dogma and I think religions today - at least the noisy ones that hit the media - are really political tools, some a power base for clergy who should have chosen politics as careers.

Remember, in a war, both sides usually think God is with their side. Perhaps God is bigger than that and just does not want the war. Maybe he wants us all to cooperate in saving the planet, too.

Then, there is Hagee, wanting to rush armegeddon. Where does that come from? I think we should really start pulling the tax exemptions away from some of these groups.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:52 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Default Bob Marley

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob-Marley.jpg
Views:	249746
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	20610
If you want the essence (which is what it's all about), just listen to one of the truest voices and most beautiful souls of the 20th century. One Love, One Heart ... the rest is extraneous. Why bother unless it's your roots?
Rasta became fashionable. If you want the real deal go into the hills of Jamaica. Many (most?) of the dreaded folks you see in this country are posers ... just ego and/or fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
I would like to know your thoughts and comments on Rastafarianism - what you think, if you dislike it and why.

Last edited by rubyskye; 05-29-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 757 times
Sadly, Haile Selassie I is not the savior. Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under Heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12) The man who washed our sins away is JESUS CHRIST. The Bible warns of many coming saying they are the Christ (which Haile Selassie actually denied on several occasions) but there is only one messiah, Jesus Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality