Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, and I am not writing this because I already know the answer, but when was the Book of Revelation written? The reason I ask is because the Protestant sect of Christianity seems to focus on this A LOT. I have slight heartache with this, as I have mentioned before, in that the Protestant religion only dates back to approx the 16th century. However, before that, Catholicism was that religion of choice and I am often curious as to why such a profound thing is not heavily covered by the Catholic religion? After all the Catholics were around for 1500 years before the Protestant religion was so what gives the Protestant sect the right to say who was right and wrong? And also, why does this give them the absolute power of saying that Jesus will return?

Edit: Ok, so I wiki'ed The Book of Revelations and although I didn't see a clear defining answer as to when it was written there are quite a few references to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th centuries so I'm assuming it was written in the 1st century perhaps a little later? This actually furthers my questioning as to why the Catholic religion didn't seem to "pick this up" as much as the Protestant sect. Not that I contend that either religion is correct I just find it interesting that a following started 1500 years after the books were written and Jesus died is so vehemently supporting a book that was much debated over even being put in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
The book of Revelation was written by St. John between AD 66-68, in the final years of the Neronic persecution. The internal evidence of the book strongly suggests the early date, and the external evidence for this date is firmly attested to by many well-known scholars and early Church writings. The information below gives a sampling of the external and internal evidence that supports the early date under Nero's reign.

Matthew 24: 36-39 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothng about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One thing that always bothered me when I was in my early teens and attending church was the fact that we've been waiting two thousand years for an event to take place that the Bible seemed to suggest was supposed to happen within a human generation of the life of Jesus. Doesn't that fact by itself give any of you doubts that maybe it's just never going to happen? If civilization keeps on going for a few hundred more years and no one has seen hide nor hair of Jesus don't you think it will reach a point when people will just stop believing that the second coming is a reality? I wish I could think of the passage in the Bible that I referred to but I seem to remember that Jesus said to a group of people that they would never taste death because his return would be very soon. Maybe one of you could clarify that specific point because I don't remember the exact words but I'm curious about it and I'm wondering if this two thousand year wait doesn't shake your faith just a little.
Personally, I have never understood what the "Second Coming" was all about...Jesus came to earth, died, "resurrected" into "heaven" -- I thought that was the point...??? Obviously, I don't remember much from the days when I studies the NT, but I guess I missed the part about why he was supposed to return in the first place. (And I do not, DO NOT mean that in any disrespectful manner; I just always thought his "work" here was finished upon his death/resurrection...)

Old 07-14-2007, 11:20 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Quote:
june 7th wrote:
I just always thought his "work" here was finished upon his death/resurrection...)
No, that was just part one. The second coming is really the main event in religious terms because satan gets defeated, Jesus returns, and all human beings are judged and get directed to their new home in either heaven or hell. At least that's the basic point of view of believers.

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-14-2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-14-2007, 11:30 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
..."At least that's the basic point of view of believers."

Maybe it would be better to say the point of view of SOME believers.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 AM

52 posts, read 147,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One thing that always bothered me when I was in my early teens and attending church was the fact that we've been waiting two thousand years for an event to take place that the Bible seemed to suggest was supposed to happen within a human generation of the life of Jesus. Doesn't that fact by itself give any of you doubts that maybe it's just never going to happen? If civilization keeps on going for a few hundred more years and no one has seen hide nor hair of Jesus don't you think it will reach a point when people will just stop believing that the second coming is a reality? I wish I could think of the passage in the Bible that I referred to but I seem to remember that Jesus said to a group of people that they would never taste death because his return would be very soon. Maybe one of you could clarify that specific point because I don't remember the exact words but I'm curious about it and I'm wondering if this two thousand year wait doesn't shake your faith just a little.
Matthew 24:33-35

"So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away."

Have you ever considered that when Jesus said "this generation" He might have been refering to a generation to come. All of these events would take place in a single generation, not necessarily the one present at that time. Of course we know that Jesus did not know the time of His return. He said so Himself.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:33 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
When Jesus comes the 2nd time it will be very different from the 1st time. The 1st time He came in humility the 2nd time He will come to conquer. When Jesus came the 1st time He came wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a manger, when Jesus comes the 2nd time He's coming with a robe dipped in blood and riding on a white horse. When Jesus came the 1st time He came to serve and save the world, but when Jesus come the 2nd time He's coming to rule with a rod of iron. When Jesus came the 1st time His own people denied Him, but when Jesus comes the 2nd time every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When Jesus comes the 2nd time it will be very different from the 1st time. The 1st time He came in humility the 2nd time He will come to conquer. When Jesus came the 1st time He came wrapped in swaddling clothes and laying in a manger, when Jesus comes the 2nd time He's coming with a robe dipped in blood and riding on a white horse. When Jesus came the 1st time He came to serve and save the world, but when Jesus come the 2nd time He's coming to rule with a rod of iron. When Jesus came the 1st time His own people denied Him, but when Jesus comes the 2nd time every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.
Ok, that's like the scariest thing I've read today.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Ok, that's like the scariest thing I've read today.
What is that scary to you? It gives me great hope and encouragement to know that what Christ promises will come true. I look forward to His return as King and Judge. All believers will live with Him forever in a perfect place of peace and security, how is that scary? We can be encouraged by this.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:51 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What is that scary to you? It gives me great hope and encouragement to know that what Christ promises will come true. I look forward to His return as King and Judge. All believers will live with Him forever in a perfect place of peace and security, how is that scary? We can be encouraged by this.
Because it sounds so vengeful: "Coming to rule with a rod of iron".

I guess the imagery of your previous post makes Jesus sound like the destroyer of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality