Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The country has passed a significant threshold. Christians, you're officially a minority now.

Congratulations, Great Britain! : Pharyngula
Christianity dying in the United Kingdom is a direct result of years of a multi-personality, confusing, and weak form of a state Christianity called Anglicanism combined with the lure of secularism. Thanks, King Henry XIII, for a Muslim Great Britain! I hope that woman was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The country has passed a significant threshold. Christians, you're officially a minority now.

Congratulations, Great Britain! : Pharyngula
I guess this could be a great development for Christians. A nation less developed or happy than the US, one with high rates of alcoholism and addiction to boot, is majority irreligious. Still this really doesn't prove anything as many other majority irreligious nations are better than the UK. So although it would be nice to thank you in this holiday season I'm afraid it's not an inarguable reason to state irreligion as a negative.

Crime, depression, stress, and drugs affecting British youth | TopNews

Drink and drugs ruining British youngsters, Government admit | Mail Online

BBC NEWS | Health | Alcohol-related deaths 'rising'

Britain has worst drug addiction rate in Europe - Telegraph

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP - Even in "inequality adjusted HDI" Britain is less developed than the US or Ireland.

Nation Rank Report

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-02-2011 at 02:53 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Thanks for reminding us of a salient example of the brainwashing trickery of Theism.

You will not of course have given a moment's thought to the fact (well let's say very strong evidence) that this episode is utterly fictitious. It does not fit in with the rest of the gospels and makes no sense.

It was invented by John and is there simply as a rhetorical trick to take the claim of a Jesus - divinity - proving event as reasons why we should believe this nonsense without question two thousand years later.

It is false, trickery and deceit, and that is what the whole resurrection account and indeed, the entire New Testament is about.
It is disappointing to see you simply rant rather than make any kind of point.

I don't see the religious books of other faiths as "false, trickery, and deceit." If your logical empiricist views have made you this hostile to things you disbelieve than it really doesn't matter if you are factually right as you are so desperately wrong in every other way.

Possibly this is part of why Britain, by most measures I know, is a comparatively unpleasant and unhappy irreligious nation. It's not content to simply be irreligious, it has to be ticked off or preachy about it and a myriad of other things.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
You don't think that demonstrating that quoting John's gospel is irrelevant to the matter is not a point? You are pretty good as posters go, but every now and again we get this selective blind spot to the point being made.

I won't try to contest the problems we have in Britain, but false correlation is actually a logical fallacy. Though it is very easy to do it is false to argue that social problems are a direct result of an increase in religious disbelief. I suppose an increase in the number of faith schools would also be a false correlation in the increase in drunken rebellion. Personally I blame it on all this Pop them young people listen to nowadays...

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-02-2011 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I guess this could be a great development for Christians. A nation less developed or happy than the US, one with high rates of alcoholism and addiction to boot, is majority irreligious. Still this really doesn't prove anything as many other majority irreligious nations are better than the UK. So although it would be nice to thank you in this holiday season I'm afraid it's not an inarguable reason to state irreligion as a negative.

Crime, depression, stress, and drugs affecting British youth | TopNews

Drink and drugs ruining British youngsters, Government admit | Mail Online

BBC NEWS | Health | Alcohol-related deaths 'rising'

Britain has worst drug addiction rate in Europe - Telegraph

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP - Even in "inequality adjusted HDI" Britain is less developed than the US or Ireland.

Nation Rank Report
You imply that this weak correlation equals causation?

America has more religious people than most developed nations, and has more overweight people - and thus do you believe religion makes you fat?

America has more religious people and a higher crime rate than most developed nations - do you believe religion makes you a criminal?

We can do the correlation equals causation game all day, but it doesn't really prove anything - especially if N =1 in your study.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
You know what's sad about Great Britain? A nation like that will only realize how they have fallen into the games and traps of the Antichrist ONLY AFTER Jesus has returned and raptures his church. It's going to be an EXTREMELY SAD DAY for Great Britain the day he returns. It may seem like joyous news to a person like Mercury who has already rejected the gospel, but to a person like me who recognizes the Lord Jesus Christ as savior, this is nothing but bad news. This is the WORST news. What this means is that that once the antichrist jumps onto the world scene, the whole nation of GB will give him free reign and fall into the delusion of thinking he is a messiah of sorts. This all because they have rejected the gospel. What a terrible revelation!!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You know what's sad about Great Britain? A nation like that will only realize how they have fallen into the games and traps of the Antichrist ONLY AFTER Jesus has returned and raptures his church. It's going to be an EXTREMELY SAD DAY for Great Britain the day he returns. It may seem like joyous news to a person like Mercury who has already rejected the gospel, but to a person like me who recognizes the Lord Jesus Christ as savior, this is nothing but bad news. This is the WORST news. What this means is that that once the antichrist jumps onto the world scene, the whole nation of GB will give him free reign and fall into the delusion of thinking he is a messiah of sorts. This all because they have rejected the gospel. What a terrible revelation!!
If your going to give away the ending to the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe series, I wish you would wrap it in the "spoiler" tag.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If your going to give away the ending to the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe series, I wish you would wrap it in the "spoiler" tag.
Sure. Joke now. But the joke will be on the nations who rejected Jesus as savior once he returns and takes his bride with him. I'm not laughing or awaiting retribution of any sorts for Great Britain. I find it extremely sad that it will be too late when they realize how they have fallen into the hands of the antichrist.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Sure. Joke now. But the joke will be on the nations who rejected Jesus as savior once he returns and takes his bride with him. I'm not laughing or awaiting retribution of any sorts for Great Britain. I find it extremely sad that it will be too late when they realize how they have fallen into the hands of the antichrist.
Well, that does sound exciting!

Please don't give away the dramatic conclusion.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You imply that this weak correlation equals causation?

America has more religious people than most developed nations, and has more overweight people - and thus do you believe religion makes you fat?

America has more religious people and a higher crime rate than most developed nations - do you believe religion makes you a criminal?

We can do the correlation equals causation game all day, but it doesn't really prove anything - especially if N =1 in your study.
Still this really doesn't prove anything as many other majority irreligious nations are better than the UK. So although it would be nice to thank you in this holiday season I'm afraid it's not an inarguable reason to state irreligion as a negative." is in the post. I was being a bit mocking. I know perfectly well many irreligious nations in Scandinavia are better on these measures as are the Dutch. For that matter the UK has its good points as it is fairly low in suicide for an irreligious nation. Even in happiness and generosity, which I think I jibed, they're in the top ten or so even if below the US and Ireland.

Good points of Britain aside I think it's odd to hold Britain up as some kind of model irreligious society. Also I like taking a post in the opposite way intended, it's funny to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality