Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,247,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
No. Campbell34 (Tom Campbell; C34).
o.k. gotcha,,,ah the poor chap!!!,,,i hope he's alright!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,655,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I join Mystic in hoping the best for Tom. We jest, of late with some cutting edge to our posts, but then again, this is just a place where we can "out" our inner, hidden personalities.

Hope he joins us again soon.
C34? Cancer? That's a shame. I do hope that it responds to treatment. I already miss him.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
glad to hear it,im on me own here,im like a closet devotee within a closet,if you get my drift,but my time will come someday,im just too busy with family life and what have you,and since their is no temples around here,it would be a very rare thing to see a devotee,although i do go into town sometimes and eat some prashadam out of the Govinda's resaurant and always pick myself up a good book or two when im there............good to meet you too brother.

isnt that the mantra that was given to Brahma bye Vishnu at the dawn of creation???

i would LOVE to know the translation!!!!!!
Actually you are addressing a lady. The Gayatri mantra has a long explanation. I hope I don’t put you to sleep before you finish reading it. I have a feeling it woud be good to create a different thread for this…anyway.

Gayatri mantra was given (attributed to) to us by a sage, Viswamitra and is considered the oldest of the hymns and is a sanskrit hymn from the oldest of all vedas, Rigveda. Below is the meaning...Just keep note that one of the special things about Gayatri mantra is that, it’s both a chant and a prayer requesting the supreme (Brahma) to enlighten you. So, its important that you understand what the chanting means before you begin.
This mantra is the best to identify what we are all looking for (formless God/Krsna etc)

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT

The literal meaning of the mantra is: O God! You are Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Almighty, You are all Light. You are all Knowledge and Bliss. You are Destroyer of fear, You are Creator of this Universe, You are the Greatest of all. We bow and meditate upon Your light. You guide our intellect in the right direction.

Aum: (Om) is actually considered Brahma Himself. The entire Mandukya upanishad is dedicated in explaining the significance of Aum. The Aum is said to contain all the existing sounds. If you take our entire galaxy also, the sounds which all the stars/planets make also sound as "Aum".

"A" represents birth
"u" represents life
"m" represents death.

If you notice, when you say Aum (om), you need to stop/end the "m" and then start "a" again; meaning you need to break the sentence before you chant Aum again. This represents that when our life ends, soul recuperates and takes rebirth if there is any previous karma to pay. Thats the significance of the break.

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA
Bhoor: The physical world, earth
Bhuva: The solar system and our mind
Swaha: The celestial/spiritual world and galaxy (galaxy is known as brahmand, formless Brahma).

Just like a small fan makes a noise while rotation, the earth, planets and all other galaxies also make a sound when they are rotating and revolving. The sound which is created by these celestial bodies is Aum. This was first heard by a sage named, Viswamitra when he was meditating. He decided that since this sound is present in all 3 states of mind (sub-conscious/earth/birth, conscious/planets/life, and super-conscious/galaxy/spiritual), it (AUM) is used to identify the formless God.
The sages also noticed that mass of galaxies moving with a velocity of 20,000 miles/second is actually creating a kinetic energy, 1/2 MV2 which is balancing the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence its names as Pranavah (life).

TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM:
Tat: That
Savitur: The sun/creator/preserver
Varenyam: Most adorable and enchanting

You know in mathematics, when we know the value of “x”, we can find the value of “y” (2x+2y=4; if x=2, then we get to know what “y” is). Similarly, once we identify the formless God in Aum, God (Brahman) can be identified. Below is how…

BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI:
Bhargo: light/luster
Devasya: The supreme lord (Brahma)
Dheemahi: we meditate up on.

We are told here that whatever it takes to find God is actually right in front of our eyes in the form of light and the voice (AUM) of Brahma. All we need to do is meditate up on His sound (AUM) and the light (sun) to get to the enlightened (Brahma). But, like every human being, we cannot really concentrate in meditation fully. Hence we seek guidance from Brahma to help us find our true path…His path in below verse…

DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT
Dhiyo: The great intellectual
Yo: may this light
Nah: Our
Prachodayat: enlighten/inspire/help/guide

O God, please help us to understand you and guide us in the right path, your path.

In short, the mantra is: The earth (bhur), the planets (bhuvah), and the galaxies (swah) are moving at a very great velocity, the sound produced is Om , (the name of formless God.) That God (tat), who manifests Himself in the form of light of suns (savitur) is worthy of bowing/respect (varenyam). We all, therefore, should meditate (dheemahi) upon the light (bhargo) of that deity (devasya) and also do chanting of Om. May He (yo) guide in right direction (prachodayat) our(nah) intellect dhiyo.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rakhi; 01-14-2011 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,247,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Actually you are addressing a lady. The Gayatri mantra has a long explanation. I hope I don’t put you to sleep before you finish reading it. I have a feeling it woud be good to create a different thread for this…anyway.

Gayatri mantra was given (attributed to) to us by a sage, Viswamitra and is considered the oldest of the hymns and is a sanskrit hymn from the oldest of all vedas, Rigveda. Below is the meaning...Just keep note that one of the special things about Gayatri mantra is that, it’s both a chant and a prayer requesting the supreme (Brahma) to enlighten you. So, its important that you understand what the chanting means before you begin.
This mantra is the best to identify what we are all looking for (formless God/Krsna etc)

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT

The literal meaning of the mantra is: O God! You are Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Almighty, You are all Light. You are all Knowledge and Bliss. You are Destroyer of fear, You are Creator of this Universe, You are the Greatest of all. We bow and meditate upon Your light. You guide our intellect in the right direction.

Aum: (Om) is actually considered Brahma Himself. The entire Mandukya upanishad is dedicated in explaining the significance of Aum. The Aum is said to contain all the existing sounds. If you take our entire galaxy also, the sounds which all the stars/planets make also sound as "Aum".

"A" represents birth
"u" represents life
"m" represents death.

If you notice, when you say Aum (om), you need to stop/end the "m" and then start "a" again; meaning you need to break the sentence before you chant Aum again. This represents that when our life ends, soul recuperates and takes rebirth if there is any previous karma to pay. Thats the significance of the break.

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA
Bhoor: The physical world, earth
Bhuva: The solar system and our mind
Swaha: The celestial/spiritual world and galaxy (galaxy is known as brahmand, formless Brahma).

Just like a small fan makes a noise while rotation, the earth, planets and all other galaxies also make a sound when they are rotating and revolving. The sound which is created by these celestial bodies is Aum. This was first heard by a sage named, Viswamitra when he was meditating. He decided that since this sound is present in all 3 states of mind (sub-conscious/earth/birth, conscious/planets/life, and super-conscious/galaxy/spiritual), it (AUM) is used to identify the formless God.
The sages also noticed that mass of galaxies moving with a velocity of 20,000 miles/second is actually creating a kinetic energy, 1/2 MV2 which is balancing the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence its names as Pranavah (life).

TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM:
Tat: That
Savitur: The sun/creator/preserver
Varenyam: Most adorable and enchanting

You know in mathematics, when we know the value of “x”, we can find the value of “y” (2x+2y=4; if x=2, then we get to know what “y” is). Similarly, once we identify the formless God in Aum, God (Brahman) can be identified. Below is how…

BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI:
Bhargo: light/luster
Devasya: The supreme lord (Brahma)
Dheemahi: we meditate up on.

We are told here that whatever it takes to find God is actually right in front of our eyes in the form of light and the voice (AUM) of Brahma. All we need to do is meditate up on His sound (AUM) and the light (sun) to get to the enlightened (Brahma). But, like every human being, we cannot really concentrate in meditation fully. Hence we seek guidance from Brahma to help us find our true path…His path in below verse…

DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT
Dhiyo: The great intellectual
Yo: may this light
Nah: Our
Prachodayat: enlighten/inspire/help/guide

O God, please help us to understand you and guide us in the right path, your path.

In short, the mantra is: The earth (bhur), the planets (bhuvah), and the galaxies (swah) are moving at a very great velocity, the sound produced is Om , (the name of formless God.) That God (tat), who manifests Himself in the form of light of suns (savitur) is worthy of bowing/respect (varenyam). We all, therefore, should meditate (dheemahi) upon the light (bhargo) of that deity (devasya) and also do chanting of Om. May He (yo) guide in right direction (prachodayat) our(nah) intellect dhiyo.

Hope this helps.
thanks for taking the time in writing that,sorry for the miss-genderism,if that even a word,i wouldnt be too familiar with Indian names so i couldnt tell,sorry again.

yeah i get what you mean,the syllable or sound OM is basically the sound of the Brahman,the immpersonal form of God that is everywhere basicaly,its said that this energy is the effulgence of The Lord.this sound too is in the Maha-Mantra,when we pronounce the word Rama,Rama is more pronounced Rouma.so in the middle there somewhere is the sound of OM.i remeber reading somewhere that sound was used to create the universe, that through His utterance the universe was created,and i think i remember that that sound was OM.

yeah this would have been worth a new thread,ive forgotten what this thread was in the first place LOL,oh yeah everything from nothing......hardly!!!!!!!!

do you beleive in the 3 aspects of God????,,,Brahman,Paramatma,and Bhagavan features.?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,286,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
thanks for taking the time in writing that,sorry for the miss-genderism,if that even a word,i wouldnt be too familiar with Indian names so i couldnt tell,sorry again.

yeah i get what you mean,the syllable or sound OM is basically the sound of the Brahman,the immpersonal form of God that is everywhere basicaly,its said that this energy is the effulgence of The Lord.this sound too is in the Maha-Mantra,when we pronounce the word Rama,Rama is more pronounced Rouma.so in the middle there somewhere is the sound of OM.i remeber reading somewhere that sound was used to create the universe, that through His utterance the universe was created,and i think i remember that that sound was OM.

yeah this would have been worth a new thread,ive forgotten what this thread was in the first place LOL,oh yeah everything from nothing......hardly!!!!!!!!

do you beleive in the 3 aspects of God????,,,Brahman,Paramatma,and Bhagavan features.?
Dont worry, i misgenderize all the time .

I do believe in the 3 aspects of the absolute truth. However, I am not even there at the state of Brahman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality