U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,089 posts, read 7,413,892 times
Reputation: 3799
Default Mt Soledad Cross

A U.S. Appeals court has ruled that the cross atop Mt. Soledad is an intrusion upon those veterans who are not christian, and, the cross must come down, as it is on federal land. As a veteran who is not a christian, I am absolutely elated that the court is using common sense. The constitution says that the government can not advocate for any religion (separation of church and state), It's about time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Metromess
11,806 posts, read 12,553,211 times
Reputation: 4708
Good! The Appeals Court ruled correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:02 AM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,225,577 times
Reputation: 3792
Default Cross ruled unconstitutional

A cross at a war memorial on top of Mt. Soledad in San Diego has been ruled unconstitutional. It's in violation of the establishment clause since it sits on land owned by the Pentagon.

Cross atop San Diego mountain ruled unconstitutional -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Don't be a cry baby!
1,310 posts, read 611,345 times
Reputation: 609
Even now as an Agnostic I do not see the need for our government to restrict religion, we have the freedom "OF" religion not "FROM" religion. (We the people...)

Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: OKC
5,350 posts, read 2,933,738 times
Reputation: 1677
While I agree that this was probably the right decision, I am pretty apathetic about it and probably would have been just as happy if the cross had remained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,225,577 times
Reputation: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Even now as an Agnostic I do not see the need for our government to restrict religion, we have the freedom "OF" religion not "FROM" religion. (We the people...)
(Just my thoughts)
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't apply in this situation. If it was on private land, by all means go ahead and put whatever mythical symbol you like there. But, it's not. The cross was ruled unconstitutional because it stands on land owned by the Pentagon, and as such is a violation of the establishment clause. There is no reason that a war memorial must have a christian cross upon it. It shouldn't have any religious symbol upon it, because that wouldn't represent all of the soldiers it is memorializing. It's not fair to their memory or to their families. Better to have a monument that represents all of them, than just a portion of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM
 
2,031 posts, read 1,130,105 times
Reputation: 1356
Actually, the Ninth Circuit has sent the case back to the District Court -- there is no order to remove the cross at this point. And the decision states that the memorial can perhaps be modified so that it passes constitutional muster. It does not say how this might be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,135 posts, read 12,468,151 times
Reputation: 15619
I just don't get how an ancient torture device is supposed to 'memorialize' those fought in wars...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Don't be a cry baby!
1,310 posts, read 611,345 times
Reputation: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't apply in this situation. If it was on private land, by all means go ahead and put whatever mythical symbol you like there. But, it's not. The cross was ruled unconstitutional because it stands on land owned by the Pentagon, and as such is a violation of the establishment clause. There is no reason that a war memorial must have a christian cross upon it. It shouldn't have any religious symbol upon it, because that wouldn't represent all of the soldiers it is memorializing. It's not fair to their memory or to their families. Better to have a monument that represents all of them, than just a portion of them.
Itís not a big deal to me, the mixing of government and church is a huge grey area anyway.
The cross is there to represent the Christians. If others feel this doesnít represent their beliefs then hang a symbol of choice. I see your point about the cross being a "HUGE" symbol for Christians (29' tall) but IMO itís been there for quite some time, itís a land mark. To me the solution is to refrain from new large religious icons instead of removing all the ones that offend. No matter who says what about America for a large portion of its existence itís been mostly Christian and its history is of such.
This is a topic that can bleed into so many different logical and moral tangents that I think we will have to agree to disagree. I respect your opinion and if the cross comes down, oh well, I'll still sleep.

If a Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Wiccan or Pagan wants to fly his symbol over his dead body itís all good to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
"restrict religion"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

So ... the fact that the National Park Service won't allow a megachurch to be built in the meadow next to Old Faithful is a 'restriction on religion'?
We're talking about a cross in a cemetery not a church in a park. But to give you the answer you were probably looking for, no. To tell me I cannot wear an upside-down pentagram in the library, say grace at school, and recite the Pledge of Allegiance is a restriction of religion.
If the family of the deceased would like to display a religious sign at the resting place of their loved one why would anyone except the family care? Talk about intolerance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,442 posts, read 8,085,799 times
Reputation: 6645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
A cross at a war memorial on top of Mt. Soledad in San Diego has been ruled unconstitutional. It's in violation of the establishment clause since it sits on land owned by the Pentagon.

Cross atop San Diego mountain ruled unconstitutional -
Oh my god, will the persecution of christians never stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top