Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,650,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Avalon Project - The American Constitution - A Documentary Record

Start at the top and work your way down, careful that you don't cherry pick.

How about for the sake of argument you read the Supreme Court ruling.
Torcaso v. Watkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.... and be sure to read what Justice Hugo Black had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,907,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
If atheism were the zing thing and the most peaceful thing known to man, why did the USSR and the Chinese mass murder millions? Considering that this is the behaviour allegedly associated with the evil catholic churches and their inquisition
The error here is to conflate a non-belief in god with some sort of bad behavior. It's far easier to link bad behavior with a strictly mandated, government-enforced religious paradigm, to be sure.

While some Nazi ruling class members may have been devoid of suitable social skills and a wholesome moral upbringing, it was hardly THE reason they were what they were. But that Spanish Inquisition? Quite obviously the result of the church's wholesale greed mixed with its desire to inflict uniform philosophical standards on everyone.

Sadly for the "Atheists Are Inherently Evi and Morally Rudderlessl" spouters, I know far too many honest, upright and outstanding intellectuals that are also confirmed scientists and thus, in general, atheists. They think too much, I know....

The reason they get such ongoing bad press is simply because they represent such a threat to the aggressive theist perspective and their hopes for an enforced mono-theistic culture in some imagined future.

Over my deadly-aiming eye!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,583,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I'll ask you the same thing I've already asked here.

Show us where in the Constitution (you know,the law of this land) where any mention of Christianity is made.

Since I actually did bother to brush up a bit and read over it again (which I doubt you did), I did find one tidbit of information you may find intresting.

Article VI

Clause 3.

and I quote....

Quote:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States
It's a secular document. Weep and moan all you want to about it; that won't change any facts.

Unless, of course, we're to believe the founding fathers of this country really did intend for it to be based on Christianity, but were too stupid and incompetent to make it clear in the Constitution.

Anyhow, I shall patiently await for you to show us all where it says otherwise. I'm afraid not enough cherry picking or pious interpretation skills will be enough for you to make it work, though
Freedom of religion, to that as you have placed in bold, there is no Baptist Test, No Catholic Test, Protestant, etc....a person can be any religion including, Islamic (don't know any one would vote for 'em) and still hold office.

Here is something interesting that I found awhile back:
ChristianLawPages

From this page:
4) Engagements of Law Entered Into (7/4/09)
Direct original documentary proof of the lawful Christian background of early America (Loaded!) Reading these direct actual sources will put an end to the theory that "Constitutionalism" stopped Christianity in America. Quotes are from rare book sources showing that the Constitutions of the original States promoted Christianity by law. Download and save these to a CD for your family library in case the Internet becomes censored.

If you have clicked the page source (Christian Law Pages) there is another interest, Bible Bill of Rights. It is a pdf. And I quote from that source:

"The original United States Constitution with its Bill of Rights provides that rational and divinely inspired “golden mean” for a strong and safe country standing on
the Gospel of Jesus Christ where the government is servant to the people. “But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.” (Matthew 23:11)
"

When we look at something we just know, we do not have to have it spelled out for us.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Government is inimical to freedom.
you've got that right.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
How about for the sake of argument you read the Supreme Court ruling.
Torcaso v. Watkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.... and be sure to read what Justice Hugo Black had to say.
I'll be back. Super is ready and I'd like to eat before it gets cold. Didn't want you to think I'd dist you if you're online at this time.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I'll ask you the same thing I've already asked here.

Show us where in the Constitution (you know,the law of this land) where any mention of Christianity is made.

Since I actually did bother to brush up a bit and read over it again (which I doubt you did), I did find one tidbit of information you may find intresting.

Article VI

Clause 3.

and I quote....

It's a secular document. Weep and moan all you want to about it; that won't change any facts.

Unless, of course, we're to believe the founding fathers of this country really did intend for it to be based on Christianity, but were too stupid and incompetent to make it clear in the Constitution.

Anyhow, I shall patiently await for you to show us all where it says otherwise. I'm afraid not enough cherry picking or pious interpretation skills will be enough for you to make it work, though
I think the problem some of the posters are having...is agreeing that because "the law of this land" says something is proscribed...that necessarily means that is not what the country was/is or even ever intended to be.

Sorta like saying, "This is a Theft Free Nation, or a, Drug Free Nation...the law of the land says so".

From what I can see...................
First, there were the Native Americans with their (IMHO, just about ideal) culture, belief, and traditions, that were the inhabitants of this land. And, in a perfected world, the ones that should still be the rightful leaders--but that's another issue.
Then there were the European so-called "Founding Fathers" that stole the land (mostly by force) from the Native People and put forth their con-job of a secular society...all the while they promoted, and inculcated, their version of Christianity better than a crew of modern TV Evangelists. An all out effort to make BibleGod and BibleRules the base concept, was the prime order of business. Which figures...since they left their homeland, mainly so they could have their theological way. They were soooooo slick, they even put some shills out front, with fake non-Christian diversion-talk (even putting some of that cover-talk in their initial documents), while they ran their ACTUAL game.

Politicians still use this tried-and-true technique of feinting policy and purporting false intentions, to mitigate opposition...this "deception and diversion" is a concept which has it birth as a military/fighting tactic.
The empirical evidence of this is as visible as the sun and moon, and their efforts were so successful it still has great power and influence to this day.

What the "founding fathers" and the "founding documents" said/wrote it was/would be...I do not believe they intended/wanted it to ACTUALLY be.
What many of them said and did...flies in the face of them actually WANTING this country to be non-religious.

This may not go over too well, but...I don't think those so-called "founding fathers" were any different than most high level politicians that have ever existed. They say they will/won't do one thing...but then actually do the opposite...all the while giving speeches and writing up "documents" using shill words and statements. They can't be trusted, and their main objective is their personal agenda...and you will never know what that REALLY is based on what they say or write...because they will always "spin" things to avoid opposition, or appear to be fair.

Want to know how things REALLY was/are?...just take a look back/around!

I submit...the #1 way for the government to indirectly promote the growth of ANYTHING...is to exempt it from taxes.
THAT will tell you what they REALLY want to flourish. THAT says it all.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Freedom of religion, to that as you have placed in bold, there is no Baptist Test, No Catholic Test, Protestant, etc....a person can be any religion including, Islamic (don't know any one would vote for 'em) and still hold office.

ChristianLawPages

From this page:
Direct original documentary proof of the lawful Christian background of early America (Loaded!) Reading these direct actual sources will put an end to the theory that "Constitutionalism" stopped Christianity in America. Quotes are from rare book sources showing that the Constitutions of the original States promoted Christianity by law. Download and save these to a CD for your family library in case the Internet becomes censored.

If you have clicked the page source (Christian Law Pages) there is another interest, Bible Bill of Rights. It is a pdf. And I quote from that source:

"The original United States Constitution with its Bill of Rights provides that rational and divinely inspired “golden mean” for a strong and safe country standing on
the Gospel of Jesus Christ where the government is servant to the people. “But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.” (Matthew 23:11)"

When we look at something we just know, we do not have to have it spelled out for us.
You know it's absolutely amazing, even when presented with factual evidence and documents to prove otherwise that some Christians still want to try to twist things to their views........ you know where the real test is, the US Supreme Court. Let's see if your Bible Bill of Rights will stand up there. You're speaking of a fantasy world that this country does not live under.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I'll be back. Super is ready and I'd like to eat before it gets cold. Didn't want you to think I'd dist you if you're online at this time.
no problem, and when you get finish reading that read this one from 1947 and read what Justice Hugo Black had to say here also.
Everson v. Board of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Judeo-Christian beliefs.

Of course there is no mention of religion in those original documents.

The founders wanted to form a nation with freedom of religion, no state sponsored religion.

God is not a religion.

Our laws are based on Judeo-Chgristian law.
Nope! Our laws are based on the laws of ancient pagan Rome and Greece.
There is no such thing as "Judeo-Christian" law.

Even Christianity is based on pagan beliefs.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM

33,518 posts, read 37,106,125 times
Quote:

ChristianLawPages

From this page:

the Gospel of Jesus Christ where the government is servant to the people. “But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.” (Matthew 23:11)
"

Sorry...Biased sites have agendas and are not acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality