U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 1,422,081 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

>>"as to law" is in the Greek text. "hos enomizeto" "nomos" is "law" in Greek and with the prefix "en" and suffix we have "was-LAWizED".<<

RESPONSE:

I think you are confusing this with the meaning "to be born under the law", ie, to be legitimate). Romans:"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, "
Jesus was "supposed" or "thought" to be legitimate. Hence, that translation.

>>Jesus is the Seed. <<

Yep. The biological offspring of Joseph.


>>I never said they did have sperm. Jesus is the Seed of the woman.<<

Seed is sperm ("Sperm" is Greek for "seed" The New Testament was written in Greek).Women don't have sperm or seed. It's exclusively male, in this case from the biological father.


>>And your point?<<

Jesus was the biological son of Joseph, or at any event, some man.

>>"When your days are full, and you
have lain with your fathers, then I
have raised up your seed after you
which goes out from your bowels,
and have established his kingdom; (2 Sam.7:12)<<
Thank you. Now evidently you understand. (You do realize that "bowels" means insides, don't you, ie, a body part, not spiritual).

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: addition
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM
 
1,741 posts, read 811,319 times
Reputation: 264
Right!!! and in marriage two become one... in FLESH!!!

Oh God, that is so awesome because it really speaks alot about the sanctity of marriage. That's deep right there.

God is so awesome!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 1,422,081 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That would probably be acceptable in our day. In Christ's day he was just called the brother of Christ.

In the Old Testament in Joseph's day his father was Jacob and mother Rachel. But his other brothers, other than Benjamin were born of other women yet they were still called his brothers.
RESPONSE:

Perhaps you have your "Josephs" mixed up. Jesus's brother was James the Just.

"Then James, whom the ancients surnamed the Just on account of the excellence of his virtue, is recorded to have been the first to be made bishop of the church of Jerusalem. This James was called the brother of the Lord because he was known as a son of Joseph, and Joseph was supposed to be the father of Christ, because the Virgin, being betrothed to him, was found with child by the Holy Ghost before they came together, Matthew 1:18 as the account of the holy Gospels shows." (Eusebius, History of the Church, Book 2, Chapter 1, Para 2)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,692,083 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
That would probably be acceptable in our day. In Christ's day he was just called the brother of Christ.

In the Old Testament in Joseph's day his father was Jacob and mother Rachel. But his other brothers, other than Benjamin were born of other women yet they were still called his brothers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Perhaps you have your "Josephs" mixed up. Jesus's brother was James the Just.
I never said Joseph (of the Old Testament) was Jesus' brother. I was writing about fact that, even though Jesus' mother, Mary, was His true mother, His father Joseph (in the New Testament) was not his real father but he was His father "as to law."

Thus Jesus' brothers who had Joseph and Mary as parents, were still considered His brothers just as the Joseph in the Old Testament who had Jacob and Rachel as his mother and father was the brother to the others who had Jacob but other wives. Get it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 1,422,081 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
[/i]



I never said Joseph (of the Old Testament) was Jesus' brother. I was writing about fact that, even though Jesus' mother, Mary, was His true mother, His father Joseph (in the New Testament) was not his real father but he was His father "as to law."

Thus Jesus' brothers who had Joseph and Mary as parents, were still considered His brothers just as the Joseph in the Old Testament who had Jacob and Rachel as his mother and father was the brother to the others who had Jacob but other wives. Get it?
RESPONSE:

">>>Joseph in the Old Testament who had Jacob and Rachel as his mother and father was the brother to the others who had Jacob but other wives. Get it?<<

No.

Does anybody?


Maybe this will provide the answer:

Matt 1: 25 "He had no relations with her until she bore a son, and he named him Jesus."

But then as demanded by the Old Testament, he increased and multiplied. And Jesus had brothers and at least two sisters.

Mark 6:3 "Is not this the carpenter, the Son of Mary, the Brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him."

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: addition
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
 
1,741 posts, read 811,319 times
Reputation: 264
That's hillarious. That's a good one man.


I accually sat here for five minutes trying to get it. (Please tell me the first sentence is a joke and not intened to make any sense)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM
 
10,164 posts, read 4,692,083 times
Reputation: 732
I can't believe you guys don't get it.

The question was: If Jesus' mother was Mary but Joseph was not His father is James the brother of Jesus? The answer is "Yes" James is the brother of Jesus.

An EXAMPLE of this is in the Old Testament where Jacob, also called Israel, had 12 sons.

Joseph and Benjamin were sons of Jacob and Rachel.
The other 10 brothers had Jacob as their father but not Rachel as their mother. Yet the Bible still says they were all brothers. Now do you get it?
Jacob, A.K.A. Israel had more than one wife in the OT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
 
1,741 posts, read 811,319 times
Reputation: 264
Hahahaaa, yes of course.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,466,552 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The killing of a few innocents in Bethlehem and the area around the little town is hardly history worthy material josephus would have written about. Besided, the killing of a few innocents in Bethleham and the little area around it is not on the same level as historians writing about the American Civil War.
Why do you say there were only a "few"? That's a rhetorical question by the way as I know the answer. It's because we know that there is no mention of it from either contemporaneous historians (Josephus wasn't the only historian around) or Herod's enemies who, I'm sure, would have dined mightily on that one. Solution....just say there were "only a few" children killed. Problem solved!!

Quote:
Where does Paul say the birth of Christ occurred in 6 A.D.? I think you are confused.
The contradiction is between Matthew and Luke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God did not inspire the mistakes of the later copyists.
One would think that your god would have ensured that his 'word' was not corrupted by the mistakes of later copyists and done something about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus was the son of Joseph as to law.
Unfortunately for you, titles can't be passed through an adopted son. Your Jesus cannot be the 'messiah' of the Jewish prophecies. He doesn't qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus did fulfil the law. Once He died He said "It is finished." Not one stroke, not one letter of the law did pass before Christ fulfilled the law.
He also allegedly said that the laws will last "Until heaven and Earth pass away". Don't know about you but I haven't noticed Earth passing away yet. Also, there are many Biblical references to 'the laws' enduring FOREVER and that they are EVERLASTING laws. Of course, you don't want to abide by those laws do you so you just say 'Oh they don't apply any more'...despite your man-god saying that he had not come to abolish them. So what can you do? Easy! Just claim that the word "fulfil" means 'abolish'. Problem solved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,257 posts, read 10,885,449 times
Reputation: 9724
The topic of this thread is contradictions. I was trying to point out that the Old Testament says[somewhere] that the Messiah would come from the line of Abraham. Although Joseph is from this line,he didnt do the MacNasty with Mary to create Jesus. Therefore Jesus IS NOT from the line of Abraham and [according to the Old Testament] CANNOT be the Messiah.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top