Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

I'm with Eusebius up to a point. I don't think we give the ancients enough credit for their accomplishments sometimes and as a result blanket all of them as primitive idiots who couldn't tell their rear from their nose. We tend to sometimes think that anything beyond the age of the Greeks was "primitive."

That being said, does this mean the bible writers had a clue? Here and there they may have, probably picking up some knowledge from more advanced and complex civilizations they came in contact with (Egyptians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans) but based on some of things we read in the bible, they seemed like primitive goat herders for the most part. I certainly do not attribute their "bump in the dark" knowledge to a given inspiration by some divine mind.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 01-24-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Cocaine found in Peruvian and Egyptian mummies:

The German research group published their initial findings in 1992. [11] Balabanova, an experienced forensic chemist, used radioimmunoassay and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) to identify and confirm the presence of cocaine, nicotine and hashish in Egyptian mummies. The remains used in this study included 7 mummified heads (all adults, 2 females, 5 males), 1 single complete adult female and 1 incomplete adult male. All the mummies tested were from the Egyptian Museum, Munich and they had been dated to a period spanning 1070BC – 395AD. Cocaine and hashish were also found in all 9 samples and nicotine was present in all but one of the samples tested.

In February 1993 the group published a second, more comprehensive, paper on their findings in The Lancet [12]. This included their analysis of 72 Peruvian (200 - 1500AD) and 11 Egyptian (1070BC – 395AD) mummies and also skeletal tissue from the Sudan (2 individuals, 5000 - 4000BC and 400 - 1400AD) and South Germany (10 individuals, 2500BC).
Their data (Table 1) showed that cocaine, nicotine and hashish could be identified in samples obtained from some, but not all, of the Peruvian and Egyptian mummies that were tested. They also identified nicotine in the bones of both individuals from the Sudan and in 8 out of 10 of the individuals from the German "Bell" culture. The levels of cocaine discovered in the hair of Peruvian mummies were found to be similar to the levels found in modern day German drug addicts and this would indicate that the degradation of the drug does not occur significantly over time. The Egyptian mummies were found to have approximately 75 times less cocaine than the maximal amounts identified in modern day German drug addicts.
The above quoted from the below link:

Hall of Maat - The Stoned Age?

They knew the earth was round and had trade with South America.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Stupid Ancient People . . . they just had computers back then:
Ancient Greek Computer's Inner Workings Deciphered

X-Tek X-Ray Systems - Inspection of the Antikythera Mechanism with X-rays

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'm with Eusebius up to a point. I don't think we give the ancients enough credit for their accomplishments sometimes and as a result blanket all of them as primitive idiots who couldn't tell their rear from their nose. We tend to sometimes think that anything beyond the age of the Greeks was "primitive."

That being said, does this mean the bible writers had a clue? Here and there they may have, probably picking up some knowledge from more advanced and complex civilizations they came in contact with (Egyptians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans) but based on some of things we read in the bible, they seemed like primitive goat herders for the most part. I certainly do not attribute their "bump in the dark" knowledge to a given inspiration by some divine mind.
I would love to see modern machinery move this baby:
http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/Images/countries/israeli%20pics/westernstone.jpg (broken link)

"5) Solomon's Temple, Israel - The Western-wall Stone, from the Western-wall tunnel, The Largest stone is estimated at 11.625m long. Estimates of weight vary from 500 to 600 tons.

'The wall had an original height of from seventy to one hundred and forty feet. In places it is built from bottom to top of large squared stones, bevelled at the edges and varying between 97.5cm and 1.80m in height. The stones are laid without cement. The longest hitherto discovered measures 11.625m in length (not less than one hundred tonnes). Many of the other blocks are from half to two thirds of this height. The massiveness of the work is on par with the Egyptian pyramid-Kings; and the perfection of the cutting and fitting of the stones is nearly equal.' (1)

The stone has a length of 13.6 meters, a width estimated between 3.5 to 4.5 meters; estimates place the weight at 570 tons. (Ref: Wikipedia.org)
1 Kings 13-17: 13 And king Solomon chose workmen out of all Israel, and the levy was of thirty thousand men. 14 And he sent them to Libanus, ten thousand every month, by turns, so that two months they were at home: and Adoniram was over this levy. 15 And Soloman had seventy thousand to carry burdens, and eighty thousand to hew stones in the mountain: 16 Besides the overseers who were over every work, in number three thousand and three hundred, that ruled over the people, and them that did the work. 17 And the king commanded that they should bring great stones, costly stones, for the foundation of the temple, and should square them: 18 And the masons of Solomon and the masons of Hiram, hewed them: and the Giblians prepared timber and stones to build the house."

The above stone is just one of the small stones the ancients moved.

The largest stones of all time

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/Images/countries/Lebanon%20pics/baalbook15.gif (broken link)

But they were just stupid herdsmen.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Sure do. It ain't square i.e. :"four corners of the earth."
It ain't a circle either.

Quote:
I'm not saying there are traslation errors in my bible. I'm saying there are some Bibles with translation errors.
Gosh!! You have an 'original'??

Quote:
When translating from one language such as the Hebrew into English it is impossible for there to be PERFECT translation.
The Hebrews had a word for circle and they had a word for ball/sphere. They we no more interchangeable then than they are now. A circle is not an orb/sphere/ball. If they knew the earth was a sphere they would not have used the word 'circle'. Live with it.

Quote:
Yes I do and it is not a square as stated earlier.
I didn't say it was. Your argument is with AW regarding that. What we are discussing is a circle. If someone asked you what shape the Earth was, what would you say?

Quote:
Just as I thought. You said the Bible says the world is flat.
Your Bible says that the Earth is a 'circle'. A circle is flat like a coin. QED.

Quote:
I asked you to provide a verse that states that. You can't. Why? Because it doesn't exist. Yet you make statements and expect us to believe them without proof.
I've asked you to provide the verse that says that one of the Jesus genealogies is that of Mary. You can't. Why? Because it doesn't exist. Yet you make statements and expect us to believe them without proof.

Quote:
No! We don't burn people at the stake for believing the earth is spherical.
Neither would Peter and the eleven have burned Isaiah. Nor would Paul, or Timothy or Barnabas and their followers have burned Isaiah at the stake.
Dude...you're hard work!! I didn't say 'we' did. I said that if the Church had been around at the time of Eratosthenes it would have burned HIM at the stake for saying that the Earth wasn't flat....we all know what they did to Galileo and others for saying that the Earth orbits the Sun don't we?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Cocaine found in Peruvian and Egyptian mummies:

The German research group published their initial findings in 1992. [11] Balabanova, an experienced forensic chemist, used radioimmunoassay and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS) to identify and confirm the presence of cocaine, nicotine and hashish in Egyptian mummies. The remains used in this study included 7 mummified heads (all adults, 2 females, 5 males), 1 single complete adult female and 1 incomplete adult male. All the mummies tested were from the Egyptian Museum, Munich and they had been dated to a period spanning 1070BC – 395AD. Cocaine and hashish were also found in all 9 samples and nicotine was present in all but one of the samples tested.

In February 1993 the group published a second, more comprehensive, paper on their findings in The Lancet [12]. This included their analysis of 72 Peruvian (200 - 1500AD) and 11 Egyptian (1070BC – 395AD) mummies and also skeletal tissue from the Sudan (2 individuals, 5000 - 4000BC and 400 - 1400AD) and South Germany (10 individuals, 2500BC).
Their data (Table 1) showed that cocaine, nicotine and hashish could be identified in samples obtained from some, but not all, of the Peruvian and Egyptian mummies that were tested. They also identified nicotine in the bones of both individuals from the Sudan and in 8 out of 10 of the individuals from the German "Bell" culture. The levels of cocaine discovered in the hair of Peruvian mummies were found to be similar to the levels found in modern day German drug addicts and this would indicate that the degradation of the drug does not occur significantly over time. The Egyptian mummies were found to have approximately 75 times less cocaine than the maximal amounts identified in modern day German drug addicts.
The above quoted from the below link:

Hall of Maat - The Stoned Age?

They knew the earth was round and had trade with South America.
RESPONSE:

What, exactly, does this have to do with the history of the Bible? Or are you trying to avoid dealing with the subject of this thread and all the evidence that has been presented.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:02 AM

Getting back to the topic of this thread, we have:

John 5:22 “The Father judges no one but has given all judgement to the Son.”

OR

John 12:47 “I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

OR

Luke 22:30 “…..and you [the apostles] will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”

Isn't there a contradiction here? Who judges????

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-24-2011 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Eliminate [SIZE]s

Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Luke dates the birth of Jesus to 6 A.D.
Matthew dates the birth of Jesus to 6 B.C. (or some year before 4 B.C.).

I'll be standing by for the 'Qurinius was governor twice' nonsense Eusebius.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Luke dates the birth of Jesus to 6 A.D.
Matthew dates the birth of Jesus to 6 B.C. (or some year before 4 B.C.).

I'll be standing by for the 'Qurinius was governor twice' nonsense Eusebius.
RESPONSE:

I believe I already debated this with Eusebius some time ago even providing him a list ot the Roman governors of Syria.

I don't recall him rebuting.

But if he has a rebutal, let's let you respond this time.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

I believe I already debated this with Eusebius some time ago even providing him a list ot the Roman governors of Syria.
Was that in this thread? I'd like to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality