Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You provided neither science nor history.

Get a clue.
RESPONSE:

On the contrary, I present the words themselves, and, if appropriate, the history of the writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Luke 24:8-9 “Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest

Or

Mark 16:8 “So they went out and fled from the tomb, for terror and amazement had seized them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid

Another contradiction. (Actually the Resurrection story has many contradictions, hence the reason to question its historical nature).

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-19-2011 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Remove [SIZE] labels

Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Footnotes:
a. Mark 16:8 Some manuscripts have the following ending between verses
8 and 9, and one manuscript has it after verse 8 (omitting verses 9-20):
Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter.
After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the
sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen.

The above quote taken from:
Mark 16:1-8 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version, ©2010 - BibleGateway.com

Yawn, no contradiction. Next.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Footnotes:
a. Mark 16:8 Some manuscripts have the following ending between verses
8 and 9, and one manuscript has it after verse 8 (omitting verses 9-20):
Then they quickly reported all these instructions to those around Peter.
After this, Jesus himself also sent out through them from east to west the
sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation. Amen.

The above quote taken from:
Mark 16:1-8 - Passage*Lookup - New International Version, ©2010 - BibleGateway.com

Yawn, no contradiction. Next.
RESPONSE:

Really? Perhaps you will name precisely which "manuscripts" you are claiming when you say "some manuscripts". Are they original manuscripts or recent ones? Were they written perchance by people trying to avoid admitting the obvious contradictions? []

From the on-line Greek interlinear translation of the New Testament

Mark 16:8 “And they went out quickly,and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they anything to any [man]; for they were afraid".

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/mar16.pdf

You should obtain and use a reliable New Testament translation rather than trying to avoid admitting the contradictions which are in the original texts.

From the Wikipedia:

"It is sometimes stated that the NIV works in apologetics to smooth out biblical contradictions. For example, Bruce M. Metzger criticizes the addition of just into Jeremiah 7:22, so the verse becomes "For when I brought your forefathers out of Egypt and spoke to them, I did not just give them commands about burnt offerings and sacrifices", an apparent attempt to harmonise with Exodus 20:24.Metzger also criticizes the addition of your into Matthew 13:32, so it becomes "Though it [the mustard seed] is the smallest of all your seeds", avoiding any impression of Jesus speaking a botanical untruth. (The your has been removed in the 2010 NIV revision to better reflect the original Greek

See also:

Not all versions are created equal.

"Fundamentalist versions, however, are a different matter. Fundamentalist bibles include versions such as The Book, The Living Bible and The New International Version (NIV). These are translated mainly by people who believe in Biblical inerrancy and the complete infallibility of the Bible"

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/versions.html

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-19-2011 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Removed [SIZE]'s

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Pauline teaching of Christianity contradicts Jesus’ teaching of Christianity

Speaking of the mosaic covenant (law), we have these contradictory views:

Matt 5:17-18
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished."

Or

Hebrews 8:13 "In speaking of ‘a new covenant’, he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear."

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: remive SIZE

Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
How can Jesus be a direct descendent of Abraham if Joseph didnt "know" Mary?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:02 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think this has to do with the "elect". It's my belief that God has this field which is called earth where he grows his children. The majority are seeds that are produced from Adam and Eve and then there are some who God allready had predestined to plant in the earth and they've allways belonged to Him. Before Christ he planted these "elect" only in the Jewish nation but now after Christ, he spreads them among all nations. This ensure's that there will allways be people of God to be His witnessess. In other words, it's a spiritual decendant rather than a fleshly decendant, and that makes perfect sense to me, since I do know about the elect - predestined children of God like Jeremiah and John the Baptist, among many others.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Jesus was the son of Joseph as to law.

Luk 3:23 And He, Jesus, when beginning, was about thirty years old, being
a son (as to the law) of Joseph, of Eli, of Matthat, of Levi,

Joseph was allowed to adopt Jesus.

Also Jesus was the Seed of the woman, Mary.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Pauline teaching of Christianity contradicts Jesus’ teaching of Christianity

Speaking of the mosaic covenant (law), we have these contradictory views:

Matt 5:17-18
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished."

Or

Hebrews 8:13 "In speaking of ‘a new covenant’, he has made the first one obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old will soon disappear."
Jesus did fulfil the law. Once He died He said "It is finished." Not one stroke, not one letter of the law did pass before Christ fulfilled the law.

Hebrews 8:13 is talking about something altogether different.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,277 times
Here are the only contradictions I've found that may hold some weight to it:

Revelation 2:14 (Christ speaking)

14 “But I have a few complaints against you. You tolerate some among you whose teaching is like that of Balaam, who showed Balak how to trip up the people of Israel. He taught them to sin by eating food offered to idols and by committing sexual sin.

1 Corinthians 8 (Paul speaking)

Food Sacrificed to Idols

4 So, what about eating meat that has been offered to idols? Well, we all know that an idol is not really a god and that there is only one God.

There was a huge debate about this back in the day and Christ clearly tells us the truth about this. Paul, tells us those who do not eat this think they are much wiser and condemns thier obedience to God about this.

The only arguement I've ever gotten from this was that Christ was saying that eating it wasn't accually commiting a sin but that they were teaching believers to worship idols "while" they were eating it which makes absolutely no sense to me. It's very clear that "eating" the food is idol worship. Now I know that nothing we ingest can defile us and it's not the "food" that defiles us, but the fact that we are partaking in idol worship.

Any thoughts? This is something I've struggled with for a while and would love to be reconciled with Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality