Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,702,159 times

Advertisements

Since we have progressed beyond the Exodus, I think it wise if we rename the thread.

The first five books of the Old Testament (the Pentateuch or Torah) are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Traditionally, they were supposed to have been written by Moses.

The next two are Joshua and Judges which were written after the death of Moses, and which recount the legend of the arrival of the Hebrews in the Promised Land.

Unfortunately, there are major contradictions, meaning that at least one version of the story in not historical (ie. It never happened as described).

Let's look.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 01-06-2011 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Size problem again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,977,170 times
As I've said before, the bible is not a history book. It's a spiritual book and if you're going to get anything out of it, you have to have the Living Spirit of God as your teacher.

Heartsong

Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,110,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
As I've said before, the bible is not a history book. It's a spiritual book and if you're going to get anything out of it, you have to have the Living Spirit of God as your teacher.

Heartsong
Preach it.

Look for logic in the carnal realm; spiritual insight is like the wind - it's the only way to fly.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,879,758 times
Quote:

Heartsong
Actually, it is a history book dedicated to giving the history of the seed of the woman up to when that Seed came and beyond.

Maybe you meant that the Bible is not meant as a scientific treatise telling us where scientifically everything came from?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,973,084 times
Quote:

Heartsong
And an extremely limited history book it is when it DOES mention something historical. It is ONLY concerned with Israel and nations/peoples that Israel came in contact with. Tons of things were going on in other parts of the world, but the Bible, understandably was not concerned with them. The interesting thing is, there are some who are adamant that the Bible is ALL we need and I guess, they also believe it gives us a FULL picture of all we need to know. It's like reading the local gazette and claiming to have gathered all or most of the news in the world from it and then compounding it by talking about the world with THAT limited knowledge and with arrogant authority to boot.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,702,159 times
Quote:

Heartsong
RESPONSE:

That's fine. As long as you don't try to tell us that God was it's author.

(It he was, he made lot's of mistakes)

Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,879,758 times
Insane, I'm just bored by ancient's warrior's accusation that my God is one big ninkompoop without proof. That's all. So far he has failed miserably to prove any of his points.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,110,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
The first five books of the Old Testament (the Pentateuch or Torah) are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. ...written by Moses.

The next two are Joshua and Judges which were written after the death of Moses, and which recount the legend of the arrival of the Hebrews in the Promised Land.

Unfortunately, there are major contradictions, meaning that at least one version of the story in not historical (ie. It never happened as described).

Let's look.
There's a concept in the English language, known as point-of-view. It's defined as an occurrence that's seen by different people from different angles, resulting in a complete viewpoint - not one of contradiction.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM

7,991 posts, read 12,218,697 times
Folks, either keep it on topic and actually address the OP, or infractions will ensue. (And June's not fond of having to issue infractions...)

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:04 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,973,084 times
I will admit that there are some passages in the Bible that have been held up as contradictions that are not contradictions in the true sense of the word. Some of them that have been labeled contradictions are due to misunderstandings, misreadings and other faulty approaches.

Now on that note there is one of them that on the surface looks like a blatant contradiction but in reality it is not and instead, it shows an interesting development in Jewish theological evolution. Here's my take on 11 Samuel 24 and I Chronicles 21.

One passage tells us that god moved David to number the people while the other book says that it was satan. So which one was it? The older version of the story seems to have come down from the book of II Samuel. At some point in time, the Israelites seemed to have believed that ALL things - good or bad - came from god. It then appears that a change came along because while one could explain some kind of national or personal judgment from god as some kind of punishment for some sin or sins (you can always find some of those), how was one to explain judgment upon a seemingly innocent person? In addition, how could one associate god with rank evil? This is where I believe the concept of satan took an upswing, evidenced in the book of Job. An innocent man in the hands of an evil agent, sent to pass him through the fire. Oh the drama!

Satan at this time was still under the control of god and could only work as an agent for him, doing his will. But why stop there? Satan became a great "out" for god in Jewish theology. Instead of attributing evil/bad to god, such things could be passed on to satan and he could be the fall guy. He has been the fall guy ever since.

In light of the two passages, I'm not sure which stage of theological development the Jews were at at this time. The later book of Chronicles seems to show the theological evolution where satan is either being used as an agent of god (meaning god is still an accomplice in the matter and the mastermind) OR satan is now on his own and is the one who tempted David (apart from any orchestration by god) to do the deed. Clearly it would make NO sense to claim that god moved David to do something god then turns around and is angry about (it's the similar modern conundrum with the popular "god does not create homosexuals because...well...um, that would be contradictory!) To resolve this, it would make sense to pass the buck to some other entity as the responsible party (satan) and then show god as punishing the sin.

Contradiction??? Not in a true sense. An example of Jewish theological evolution over time??? Plausible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality