Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Assume God and hell are real. Hell is:
A never ending literal place of infinite torture for sins committed in this life. 13 48.15%
A literal place to learn hard lessons in order to lead the soul to repentance, and then God. 2 7.41%
Metaphorical. Hell is of our own making here on earth, not literal. 9 33.33%
A small town in southeastern Michigan. "Welcome to Hell!" 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,196,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
So if a Christian doctrine doesn't appear at all in the Old Testament, it is invalid or at least suspect?
Not necessarily, but when it comes to a subject as all encompassing as this, I think it bears thinking about, at least...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,365,760 times
So many people have turned to a philosophy that eliminates hell because it is not a nice thing to think about. God has not given us the option of a second chance. Since God knew our need for a Savior in His all consuming love He sent Jesus to die for our sins, not our mistakes. There is no provision made for another chance. Either you accept the grace of God as provided through Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross or you will spend your eternity regretting the choice you made. There are few guarantees in life, but this is one of them.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:07 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,909,675 times
Jeff, where does the Bible say all will go to heaven? It doesn't!

“Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him” (2 Samuel 14:14).

Right! I agree!
1 Corinthians 10:13 (New International Version)

13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

He provides a way out...we must make the choice to go there!

“See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand” (Deuteronomy 32:39). Isn't the whole world in His Hands?

This is referring to those who were foreknown to choose Him. Once saved always saved. It does not say all will be saved! It says that no one can deliver us from his hand...not all are his and none of them will be delivered from his hand. No the whole world is not in his hands in this context...his hands referrs to those who believe!!

“I will ransom them from the power of the grave (Sheol/Hell); I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave (Sheol/Hell), I will be your destruction!” (Hosea 13:11-14).

It says them...not all. Them referrs to those who believe.

And on and on. None of these verses say clearly all will go to heaven yet there are tons that state that only some will be in heaven...those who believe in Jesus as Savior.

Last edited by Jazzedforhim; 07-16-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM

668 posts, read 681,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Not necessarily, but when it comes to a subject as all encompassing as this, I think it bears thinking about, at least...
I agree............

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
So many people have turned to a philosophy that eliminates hell because it is not a nice thing to think about. God has not given us the option of a second chance. Since God knew our need for a Savior in His all consuming love He sent Jesus to die for our sins, not our mistakes. There is no provision made for another chance. Either you accept the grace of God as provided through Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross or you will spend your eternity regretting the choice you made. There are few guarantees in life, but this is one of them.
That is not a guarantee, it is a threatening fear tactic!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,740,805 times
I beat this dead horse, to well...it wasnt much of a horse anymore...in the other thread about this. I still believe in a literal hell, just not into arguing today...maybe tomorrow-lol

Old 07-16-2007, 02:17 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,365,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Since I believe the Bible and that is what the the Bible teaches, I believe it is a done deal. But there is no need for fear if you have Jesus as your Savior.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Jeff, where does the Bible say all will go to heaven? It doesn't!
“Since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.” (1 Cor. 15:22)

“For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe” (1 Timothy 4;10).

Quote:
“Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him” (2 Samuel 14:14).

Right! I agree!
Do you? Then you agree that the banished (the unsaved) will not remain estranged from Him?

Quote:
1 Corinthians 10:13 (New International Version)

13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

He provides a way out...we must make the choice to go there!
And if we don't there is hell to pay! But not forever...

Quote:
“See now that I, even I, am He, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of My hand” (Deuteronomy 32:39). Isn't the whole world in His Hands?

This is referring to those who were foreknown to choose Him. Once saved always saved. It does not say all will be saved! It says that no one can deliver us from his hand...not all are his and none of them will be delivered from his hand. No the whole world is not in his hands in this context...his hands referrs to those who believe!!
So you then believe that God creates some people with the intent of letting them burn in hell forever? This not only makes God cruel, but negates tons of other Scriptures, one of which states that He desires none go there!

Quote:
“I will ransom them from the power of the grave (Sheol/Hell); I will redeem them from death. O Death, I will be your plagues! O Grave (Sheol/Hell), I will be your destruction!” (Hosea 13:11-14).

It says them...not all. Then referrs to those who believe.
So you are stating that God is only destroying death and Hell (or the grave) for Christians? That means that these things are going to continue on for unbelievers...but it states He is death and hell's destruction!

Quote:
And on and on. None of these verses say clearly all will go to heaven yet there are tons that state that only some will be in heaven...those who believe in Jesus as Savior.
I completely agree that the Bible definately says there is punishment to be had by unbelievers. But you're completely ignoring the fact that the Bible does not say that it is eternal! Saying "eternal" as opposed to "an age" paints 2 entirely different pictures, does it not?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If Hell is real, how does the threat of endlessly torturing us convince us that God loves us and that we should love Him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength?

We are taught that the justice of God demands a place like Hell in which the wicked shall be eternally punished for their sins. Not true! The justice of God demanded a perfect sacrifice for sin, and that man was Christ Jesus. The justice of God will certainly come to every person, and God may deal severely with our sins as He subdues and gathers all things to Christ, but to punish people endlessly for crimes committed in a short human lifespan defies all logic and justice. How is it just to have unending punishment for offenses that have limits?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,909,675 times
Well I supposse if I had all afternoon to go round and round with you we could. These verses talk about those who are in Christ going to heaven. We only die once. So we are in heaven or hell when we die based on that belief in Christ as Savior. If not we will be in hell for our stubbon refusal to believe. That is Hell. Tormented day and night forever and ever is day and night forever and ever! Pretty clear to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality