Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM

668 posts, read 682,135 times

Advertisements

(borrowed from himalayanacademy.com)

Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.

Hindus believe in the divinity of the four Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.

Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.

Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.

Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be deprived of this destiny.

Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments and personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

Hindus believe that an enlightened master, or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry, meditation and surrender in God.

Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahimsa, noninjury, in thought, word and deed.

Hindus believe that no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Interesting. But I must ask, Trebek, with all sincerity: how do you reconcile Christianity, which claims to be the only way, with a belief that "no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding"?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM

668 posts, read 682,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Interesting. But I must ask, Trebek, with all sincerity: how do you reconcile Christianity, which claims to be the only way, with a belief that "no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding"?
Fair question Jeff.

I subscribe to the "no religion teaches the only way to salvation" standpoint.
God is God no matter what part of the world you are from.

There are four things in the bible that I don't subcribe to:

1. Hell is a firey pit that roasts people for all eternity.

2. That Noah put two of each animal on an ark, while our loving God drowned everything else.

3. The world is less than 8000 years old.

4. All non-Christians go to hell.

just for starters. This still leaves most of the bible as an excellent book of ancient wisdom. Proverbs is my favorite!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,032 times
Hi um i'm am very curious about this. Ok Turan (my boyfriend) and I have been dating for 6 months now and we are thinking about getting married, but we haven't told his parents yet. The reason being his family is Hindi, he is to, but I am not. I want to be in the Hinduism religion because I am not in any other religion. Can we still marry before i become Hindi?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuukiUchiha View Post
Hi um i'm am very curious about this. Ok Turan (my boyfriend) and I have been dating for 6 months now and we are thinking about getting married, but we haven't told his parents yet. The reason being his family is Hindi, he is to, but I am not. I want to be in the Hinduism religion because I am not in any other religion. Can we still marry before i become Hindi?
Yes

There's no barrier to marriage, whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuukiUchiha View Post
fyi,
Hindi - national language of India
Hinduism - religion whose followers are Hindus

Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
fyi,
Hindi - national language of India
Hinduism - religion whose followers are Hindus
I assumed she meant hindu

Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I assumed she meant hindu
She probably did. I only pointed it out since it was a "basics" thread - I was not implying anything else.

Besides, I have seen people confuse Hindu and Hindi a few times.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
(borrowed from himalayanacademy.com)

Hindus believe in a one, all-pervasive Supreme Being who is both immanent and transcendent, both Creator and Unmanifest Reality.

Hindus believe in the divinity of the four Vedas, the world's most ancient scripture, and venerate the Agamas as equally revealed. These primordial hymns are God's word and the bedrock of Sanatana Dharma, the eternal religion.

Hindus believe that the universe undergoes endless cycles of creation, preservation and dissolution.

Hindus believe in karma, the law of cause and effect by which each individual creates his own destiny by his thoughts, words and deeds.

Hindus believe that the soul reincarnates, evolving through many births until all karmas have been resolved, and moksha, liberation from the cycle of rebirth, is attained. Not a single soul will be deprived of this destiny.

Hindus believe that divine beings exist in unseen worlds and that temple worship, rituals, sacraments and personal devotionals create a communion with these devas and Gods.

Hindus believe that an enlightened master, or satguru, is essential to know the Transcendent Absolute, as are personal discipline, good conduct, purification, pilgrimage, self-inquiry, meditation and surrender in God.

Hindus believe that all life is sacred, to be loved and revered, and therefore practice ahimsa, noninjury, in thought, word and deed.

Hindus believe that no religion teaches the only way to salvation above all others, but that all genuine paths are facets of God's Light, deserving tolerance and understanding.

Just a couple of honest questions.

1. Is it true that a hindu can create for himself a god, maybe making a shrine in his house?

2. If hinduism is tolerant, why are there fundamentalist hindus persecuting Christians in India today? Men and women are being killed by hindus.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Fair question Jeff.

I subscribe to the "no religion teaches the only way to salvation" standpoint.
God is God no matter what part of the world you are from.

There are four things in the bible that I don't subcribe to:

1. Hell is a firey pit that roasts people for all eternity.

2. That Noah put two of each animal on an ark, while our loving God drowned everything else.

3. The world is less than 8000 years old.

4. All non-Christians go to hell.

just for starters. This still leaves most of the bible as an excellent book of ancient wisdom. Proverbs is my favorite!
That is exactly the reason I became interested in Hinduism, I loved it's tolerant and acceptant approach regarding other religions, that made me take it more seriously than other religions that claim to be the only path. And even better, Hinduism has the tradition, since it's origins to question, ponder and analyze the scriptures to extract their true meanings that are usually hidden in the metaphors and allegories, when I read my guru's comment to the new testament and his analysis of Jesus' life I understood the real meaning and wisdom of the bible. There is a book called The Second Coming of Christ where Paramahansa Yogananda
deciphers all those enigmas and confusing verses with his wisdom and intuition

Here is an small fragment of one of the discourses of the book

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...unishment.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality