Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know what this is, exactly? I looked it up and the mission statement seems very positive but also very vague. I know I'm being cynical, as I should just come to the conclusion that there are great people out there, sometimes headed by great altruists, and I do believe people can do selfless things...but I just...don't trust that I don't really know "what" this thing is.

Is it a religious thing? Is it...something somebody would sign up to belong to? Or something? I really am clueless but am also curious. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
It seems to be funded by Billionaire Philip Anschutz. He's apparently a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, and Republican supporter, but the group is reported to not be sectarian. (Evangelical is kind of a blanket term so "An Evangelical who supports Republicans" I think can actually mean something more varied than it sounds. The EPC sounds a bit less conservative than say the Orthodox Presbyterian Church.)

A Denver Billionaire's Invisible Hand - Los Angeles Times

He is apparently a supporter of Intelligent Design and opposition to the gay-rights movement. He also funded the Narnia movies and "Amazing Grace" about Christian abolitionists.

Philip Anschutz: The Westerner - Profiles, People - The Independent

So sounds like a fairly good-guy philanthropist if you're a conservative Christian and a nightmare on wheels for most atheists or social liberals.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I know I'm being cynical
Never be afraid to admit to a bit of cynicism -- it keeps us aware and makes us harder to fool.

I've never heard of the Foundation for a Better Life, though in my experience, that 'better life' usually comes with some pretty hefty strings attached.

Meh. I dunno about this one.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Does anybody know what this is, exactly? I looked it up and the mission statement seems very positive but also very vague. I know I'm being cynical, as I should just come to the conclusion that there are great people out there, sometimes headed by great altruists, and I do believe people can do selfless things...but I just...don't trust that I don't really know "what" this thing is.

Is it a religious thing? Is it...something somebody would sign up to belong to? Or something? I really am clueless but am also curious. Thanks for any help.
I just saw the ad by them where the old man is smoothing out the concrete on a sidewalk and a little boy innocently walks up through the wet concrete (destroying the finish job) and says "Hi!" to the old man.

"Patience" the ad says.

Gotta' love it!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,615,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I've never heard of the Foundation for a Better Life, though in my experience, that 'better life' usually comes with some pretty hefty strings attached.
Apparently, this guy is rich, very rich, and maybe just trying to give back. Or a REAL cynic may phrase it: "get a tax write off".

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM

467 posts, read 1,521,953 times
As I understand it, the Foundation for a Better Life is funded by Anschutz but not run by him - its kept at arm's length. There is no overtly religious or political programming, aside from a belief in optimism and an attempt to elicit positive behaviors.

It looks like a very nice thing done by a very rich guy. The posters have made me smile more than once when I'm having a particularly rough day. I don't agree with all of Anschutz's political views, but I admire this sort of thing.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
My first reaction is that you've got to be suspicious as soon as you see those words, better life. Someone else's conception of a better life might not be yours!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:40 AM

563 posts, read 929,445 times
I went over its site, as well as the sister site. They claim no religious or political affiliation. It does seem to be a positive movement in our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality