Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM

290 posts, read 388,561 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

Firstly, not sure if the philosophy and religion forum is where this thread is supposed to go so Moderators, please feel free to move it if necessary

Before going into detail about my query I'd like to mention that some of you may find this topic and my question distressing. In advance I'd like to apologize and hope you find some relief from your grief.

I'm interested in knowing if any of you have been present at a person or animal's death, or have seen someone just before and just after death. If so, what differences have you noticed: physical, energy-wise, are they the same person or is something missing? That kind of thing. It is often said that they "look as though they're sleeping". Has this been your experience?

Thank you so much and once again I'd like to apologize for any painful memories.

xxx

Extra information:
I ask this question because I'm in the process of writing a philosophy essay on the nature of reality. In The Metaphysics, Aristotle attempts to define substance, eventually concluding that this is essence. I am interested in trying to understand exactly what he means by essence. As one who has been present at another's death, I was curious to know how other people have found the experience. As much as I would love to describe my experience I wouldn't want the memories of your experience to be altered in any way; and so please message me if you would like.

Thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I've had two dogs put to sleep. Not fun. they just collapse as all their muscles relax. From rigid and upright to relaxed and collapsed.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Yes, I've see dozens of people die.

It's ugly, but entirely physical. We're all just chunks of meat when it's all over... no magic, no strange feelings. And people only "look like they're sleeping" after the funeral home is done with them.

Last edited by Chango; 01-13-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
I've been at the death bed of a few relatives of mine.

Before? Well, they're laying up in a hospital bed not doing so good. After? Well, they're dead. That's that. Sorry if I don't really have anything exciting to add to the topic.

The million dollar question is are they, the physical body, all there is to existence. Or is there more you after you're dead? Something besides the physical you that continues on. I lean towards no on that question, but perhaps you've seen something to prove otherwise.

I've also buried lots of animals. Nothing really special to it. Nothing to indicate they're still around after they're gone.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,934 times
I concur with the previous posters.

I was present at my mother's death, sort of. She was already brain-dead by the time we arrived at the hospital so I guess I wasn't present for her "real" death. Her body was kept "alive" artificially until the family got there and made the decision to "pull the plug".

The only difference I really remember is the change in color. She went from a pale-pink before to a pale-gray after. The thing that struck me was how quickly. It was probably only seconds, definitely less than a minute after she "flatlined" that her color changed or drained (probably a better word). Definitely did not look like she was sleeping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality