Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:58 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times

Advertisements

Is it that they've not been so curvy, or is it more to do with what they wear? I can't imagine that a 13yo girl from today is all that different from 20 years ago, but they definitely dress differently! Clothes today "bare all" - no pun intended

Personally, I don't like the trend. If/when I have a daughter, I don't want people drooling all over her. They make easy targets for predators and other sickos. I'd want my daughter in huge sweaters! Ok, that's not really feasible in South Florida, but you get my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 03:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home-to-dixie View Post
Dear Leana,

Dress standards in America today are just down-right embarrassing, and Christian ladies and girls need to take the lead in boycotting sellers of immodest apparel. An acquaintance of ours married a Middle Eastern man, and he told her that when Muslim men hit the shores of America, the visual message they get here is, "sex for free."
While it's true that American men are (sadly) desensitized to a larger degree, should Christian women not be reasonably modest? It's horrible that a 12-year-old boy has to pass through grocery store check-outs and be impacted upon by magazines that feature skimpily clad (read that "non-clad") women and article titles that are the sort of subject matter that embarrasses any halfway thinking person, male or female.

Take that one step farther: It's not uncommon today to see 6-year-old girls dressed in low hip-hugger pants and skirts so short that their panties show. What is the message parents want to give the neighborhood pedophiles?

So, Leana, be an example in your dress of purity and common sense. You don't have to cover your head and wear dresses when you go swimming, but don't put yourself on display, either, in a way that causes lewd images to cross the minds of average males.

Protect your witness by being a modest lady.

Dixie
Thank you for bringing some sanity to this situation +1 rep

Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Thanks for the advices and compliments, everyone. I think I'll keep the bikini just for my backyard use and a one-piece for church summer functions and at the public pool too. Thanks everyone, for your help on this confusing part of my life.
Good luck to you and I'm glad you were able to make a decision that makes you comfortable. Sorry about the threads getting off topic!!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:45 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
...."Did you think that the girls wearing bikinis was inappropriate? or did the teenage girls just have nice figures and they looked really good in a bikini?..."

I don't recall a single girl that had on something else. Even the flat chested ones that still had baby fat on their tummies, wore low cut two piece. On the girls with curvy figures, the suits seemed to be at least three sizes too small.

So I guess since all the rest did....you could say the bikinis were appropriate. However, unless the girls bought them out of their own allowance, the mothers apparently approved.

As I said before, If my mother had tried to stop me, I would have worn a bikini just to show her that I thought I was old enough. By the time I was 14, I had the same measurements that I had when I was 20.

I don't know what the solution is. I sure am glad that I didn't have girls, just boys.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Thanks for the advices and compliments, everyone. I think I'll keep the bikini just for my backyard use and a one-piece for church summer functions and at the public pool too. Thanks everyone, for your help on this confusing part of my life.
I think it is where your heart and soul is for the Lord at this point and time in your life more than it is about a bikini.If you put the Lord first and foremost in your life and have true change of heart(repentance), He will guide you in the necessary direction of His loving kindness. I wish the best for your remarriage;God bless you.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,604,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
...."Did you think that the girls wearing bikinis was inappropriate? or did the teenage girls just have nice figures and they looked really good in a bikini?..."

I don't recall a single girl that had on something else. Even the flat chested ones that still had baby fat on their tummies, wore low cut two piece. On the girls with curvy figures, the suits seemed to be at least three sizes too small.

So I guess since all the rest did....you could say the bikinis were appropriate. However, unless the girls bought them out of their own allowance, the mothers apparently approved.

As I said before, If my mother had tried to stop me, I would have worn a bikini just to show her that I thought I was old enough. By the time I was 14, I had the same measurements that I had when I was 20.

I don't know what the solution is. I sure am glad that I didn't have girls, just boys.
Thanks! i just wanted your opinion i guess. I think the clothing nowadays is very inappropriate for girls. As far as bathing suits are concerned I'm not sure how i feel. I don't think I mind a modest bikini on my daughter but not a real skimpy one or a thong I think the fact that the mothers and fathers are letting their daughters wear revealing clothing is the problem here. I know when I was growing up my parents bought my clothing and even if I had allowance to buy my own clothes - i would never of been allowed to leave the house in something revealing - and that was true beyond turning 18. The only time i could actually wear what i wanted was when i moved out. Parents need to start paying attention and caring about what their girls wear.

Good luck with your boys!!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Just another thought. Bikinis have been around for about a half century and they're completely acceptable. Have you checked out how skimpy some of the thong bikinis are? If you're wearing something like that you're about 99% naked (not that I'm opposed to it). I actually think Americans are very prudish compared to most other western nations. If any of you have been to some of the beaches in France and other parts of Europe you know what I mean. I see nothing wrong with that and I think they have a better attitude about these things than Americans. Just my opinion.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,325,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Just another thought. Bikinis have been around for about a half century and they're completely acceptable. Have you checked out how skimpy some of the thong bikinis are? If you're wearing something like that you're about 99% naked (not that I'm opposed to it). I actually think Americans are very prudish compared to most other western nations. If any of you have been to some of the beaches in France and other parts of Europe you know what I mean. I see nothing wrong with that and I think they have a better attitude about these things than Americans. Just my opinion.
I bet u do think that MontanaGuy

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
So are we discussing Women or Girls in bikini's!! I would say now days there is a difference.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
You don't make yourself clear- are you planning on changing from bikinis to something more conservative? Or simply stopping wearing bikinis, period, and changing (presumably) to wearing nothing at all ? Your answer in this matter would have a profound effect on the advice you might receive......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality