U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM

563 posts, read 456,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Well neither am I, but I like the place. I am a weird learner, I learn at a curious pace, and not from just anyone. And I am a rebel even in what I choose to read, but it does amaze me what others are attracted to reading. I read the bible, which is the most read book in the world, because it intrest me with no end. Its reality. I read my dictionary, because words and their definitions highly intrest me.

Yet the world has other intrest. Notice then the top ten books read in the world, and note that most of them are Frog Syndrome fantasy; Starting with the number two most read book and copies sold;

Quotations from Mao Tse-Tung- 820 million copies sold.

Harry Potter - 400 million.

Lord of the Rings - 103 million.

The Alchemist - 65 million.

Da Vinci Code -- 57 million.

Twilight - the saga - 43 million.

Gone with the wind - 33 million.

Think and grow rich - 30 million.

Diray of Anne Frank - 27 million.

Interesting what intrest the people of the world.

Peace.

Quotations
Interesting list there. I did a quick Google and came up with just a bit different list.

List of best-selling books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had no idea the Harry Potter stuff was so widely read - that really surprised me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,029,381 times
#9 J.K. Rowling - Forbes.com

Old 01-19-2011, 11:59 AM

5,298 posts, read 1,932,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Interesting list there. I did a quick Google and came up with just a bit different list.

I had no idea the Harry Potter stuff was so widely read - that really surprised me!

Well it surprised me too, people are more into fantasy than reading reality. Its just a fact. I think its the Frog Syndrome, we want to embrace things that are real in our minds, reguardless if they are real in this world. Part of it is not being satisfied with this world, part of it is simply enjoying our own consciousness. We see reality, we see our own minds, often rather than deal with reality, we escape into our own thing. Because its more gradifying. More entertaining.

I have often asked my critics why they read me, they usually claim its because its entertaining, rather than admit to being interested. So entertainment overflows intrests, and becomes our intrest. We hide our intrest behind entertainment, and then start learning from intertainment. Highly influenced by it.

Harry Potter is a myth, its theater, entertainment. Yet it garners more attention than most expect. So serious thinking and evaluating is loosing ground to entertainment, and in entertainment things can magically change. And that change pacifys us in many ways, influences us in many ways. It influences religion, Atheism, our leaders and government.

We are conditioned by it to find a Frog in our minds, and change that Frog into a Prince, a Prince which gives us comfort, although it is not real.

Not the truth.

And I want to go into that.

Peace.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM

7,717 posts, read 6,218,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post

I wonder about Mickiel's list. Are all the different Harry Potter books added together to get that many sales? Same goes for LoTR, being a trilogy and all. Are they also grouped together as well? Then there is the ratio of books sold in the series to the same individuals. What is Harry potter, 7:1? Talk about your weighted averages being skewed.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I wonder about Mickiel's list. Are all the different Harry Potter books added together to get that many sales? Same goes for LoTR, being a trilogy and all. Are they also grouped together as well? Then there is the ratio of books sold in the series to the same individuals. What is Harry potter, 7:1? Talk about your weighted averages being skewed.

Well I have been accused of living in the past, thinking old fashioned, I don't disagree with that. Being 55 years old, I understand I am getting older, and the things that influenced me are old. Its no wonder my stats are old, but I remember them. Yet things change, and I admit to not changing along with many of them. I am refreshed by younger minds, and am thankful for our youth.

Change does not come easy for me, I am a supersticious man; wary of change that I cannot trust. I have pushed many women away from me because I simply didnot trust certain things about them. Perhaps to my lost. I have pushed many theorys away from me, because I just didnot trust certain things about them, such as the theory of evolution.

My intrest, my consciousness, is all that I have. It will be buried with me.

But I sense there is more to life, than the opinions of men, the writtings of men.

Peace.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Well I have been accused of living in the past, thinking old fashioned, I don't disagree with that. Being 55 years old, I understand I am getting older, and the things that influenced me are old. Its no wonder my stats are old, but I remember them. Yet things change, and I admit to not changing along with many of them. I am refreshed by younger minds, and am thankful for our youth.

Change does not come easy for me, I am a supersticious man; wary of change that I cannot trust. I have pushed many women away from me because I simply didnot trust certain things about them. Perhaps to my lost. I have pushed many theorys away from me, because I just didnot trust certain things about them, such as the theory of evolution.

My intrest, my consciousness, is all that I have. It will be buried with me.

But I sense there is more to life, than the opinions of men, the writtings of men.

Peace.
Huh? How does that follow my post about how the numbers in your list were tabulated? It looks like you are responding to a post that I did not make. I believe you meant to reply to Wanderingwonderer. You should go back and edit your post.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Huh? How does that follow my post about how the numbers in your list were tabulated? It looks like you are responding to a post that I did not make. i believe you meant to reply to Wanderingwonderer. You should go back and edit your post.

No I stand by my numbers, though they may not be current, but they are what I have as of now.

Peace.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,029,381 times
Quote:
No I stand by my numbers, though they may not be current, but they are what I have as of now.

Peace.
the numbers are on the Forbes list.
wikipedia is wrong.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Peace.
I wasn't questioning the veracity of your numbers, per se, I was just wondering how they were compiled since there is such a disparity in some of the books as compared to books in a series. Do you have a source?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM

563 posts, read 456,057 times
Here's another list;

HowStuffWorks "21 Best-Selling Books of All Time"

And another;

List Of Best Selling Books - AskMen.com

Surely "Askmen" couldn't be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality