Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM

81 posts, read 128,161 times

Advertisements

All of us have of course read about the massive abuses within the Catholic church the last few years. This and other factors such as the increase in wealth over last 15 years and the increase and importance of education, but mainly the scandals has taken its toll on the view on religion in Ireland.

This week there was a story that the main Catholic Priest in Los Angeles had to step down because he had been hiding several hundreds of abuses done within the church by several priests. There might be several more scandals to come out in the news so I'm wondering how this has affected the Catholic faith in other countries. Why is the outcome so extreme in Ireland and maybe not so much in USA because I don't think the abuse has been larger in Ireland than in any other Catholic country but I might be wrong about this one. One could only speculate.....

Look at the mighty Irish. They used to be one of the few "very" religious countries left in Europe (Poland is now almost the only one left I would say of being "very" religious). Now look what happened to the Irish:

1. Irish Consider Religion The Least Important Part Of Their Lives
The Irish consider religion to be the least important part of their lives, according to the results of a new survey.
As IrishCentral notes, the VitalSigns study, conducted by the Community Foundation for Ireland, revealed that of 119 possible options, the people of Ireland ranked religion and spirituality the "least important aspect of their lives.
(click on link below to read more).

Irish Consider Religion The Least Important Part Of Their Lives, 2013 Survey Reveals (VIDEO)

2. Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
According to the global index, only 47 percent of those surveyed in Ireland said they considered themselves religious -- a 22-point drop from the 69 percent recorded in a similar 2005 poll. Moreover, 10 percent identified themselves as atheist.
(click on link below to read more).

Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise

I wonder how the decline in religiosity has been in the USA because of these horrible things done to young children by many Catholic priests.

I have a "Real Irish" guy at work (he was born and lived most of his life in Ireland) that I talk to about religion and he is telling me that the decline in religiosity in the last 5-10 years in Ireland has been staggering. He didn't think it would go this quickly...to which I responded......"Great news. Ireland, welcome to the 21st century. The century of reality, critical thinking and reason....keep the good news coming"...

In the comment section of the second article I found a really intelligent quote that I will just paste below. Figure out for yourselves what it means. It is pretty obvious to me:

Picture two lemonade stands: side by side.
One has a banner that reads: Brutal Truths.
The other has a banner that reads: Comforting Lies.
Unfortunately the booth of Brutal Truths has no customers.
While at the booth of Comforting Lies the line goes on for miles.

If the Irish is looking for a new faith after being so pissed off and leaving the Catholic church may I suggest that they look into Zeus and see what he has to offer them....

But seriously, has this had any effect among the Catholics within USA for example or other countries that could even be close to the destruction of the Catholic church in Ireland.

You don't have to be Catholic to respond.....

Last edited by johnsweeting; 02-02-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
I don't think the US will experience what Ireland has because it's not a predominantely Catholic country. What's happened in Ireland is not unique, they're following the same path Quebec, Spain and to a degree France followed before their populations collectively rejected the Catholic Church in a short period of time over the ways it got mixed up in the government and acted like a corrupt organization. The US as a profoundly multi-faith society with no state church is going to have a very different experience than European countries with one predominate church did.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't think the US will experience what Ireland has because it's not a predominantely Catholic country. What's happened in Ireland is not unique, they're following the same path Quebec, Spain and to a degree France followed before their populations collectively rejected the Catholic Church in a short period of time over the ways it got mixed up in the government and acted like a corrupt organization. The US as a profoundly multi-faith society with no state church is going to have a very different experience than European countries with one predominate church did.
Well regarding Spain, even though most peple dont go to church there and it has gay marriages, it is still a culturally catholic country. Spain is still conservative regarding European standards.

Regarding Ireland, yes religion is on the decline in the Republic of Ireland yet it a different story for Northern Irish Catholics as religion is still very much part of the culture for them there. The number of Catholics has risen in Northern Ireland and at the same time the number of Protestants have declined.

here is the religious stats for Northern Ireland:

The census reveals 48% of the resident population are either Protestant or brought up Protestant, a drop of 5% from the 2001 census.
45% of the resident population are either Catholic or brought up Catholic, an increase of 1%.
7% say they either belong to another religion or none.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20673534

Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM

81 posts, read 128,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well regarding Spain, even though most peple dont go to church there and it has gay marriages, it is still a culturally catholic country. Spain is still conservative regarding European standards.
One of my friends when I went to the University of Colorado was Jewish and was culturally Jewish to some degree but his view of religion was like mine..meaning it has no part of my life.
I think you can be culturally Catholic but at the same time being a non-believer....Just saying...Maybe that was what you meant.

By the way. Did you see clip:

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: inappropriate and off topic video

Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Well a majority of people were christened as Catholics in Spain and so many of them that call themselves catholics don't believe in the teachings of the Church, even though they choose the Church to get married and have funerals.

With regards to Sex, outside the main cities of Madrid and Bacelonia people are a bit more conservative. The older men can look down on the women from Northern Eurpean countries and America as being too liberal for sex. In addition Spanish young people are more likely to live with their parents compared to young people of Nothern Europe and America. In addition foreign women are more likely to be hit on by Spanish men compared to places such as North Eurpope and Ameria as they are seen as sexually loose.

Last edited by other99; 02-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate video

Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM

392 posts, read 248,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsweeting View Post
As IrishCentral notes, the VitalSigns study, conducted by the Community Foundation for Ireland, revealed that of 119 possible options, the people of Ireland ranked religion and spirituality the "least important aspect of their lives.
It was hardly ever otherwise. Lewd revelry and materialistic indulgence have always been raging in Ireland.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM

392 posts, read 248,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't think the US will experience what Ireland
What was happening in Ireland is already an epidemic in the US, and the war on drugs is not the only battle being fought.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Us "Irish" have changed a LOT as a people. We basically "grew up" and found out the Church is dropping the ball IMHO in 2013. Even heavy drinking in Ireland is not longer Ok with most Irish people.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM

522 posts, read 622,584 times
I am a bit skeptical of that study because, for many nations, they list their 2005 religiosity as way higher than most anything I'd seen. Still there's the bright spot of Finland in it as it lists religion as slightly up and atheism as 1% down, but I haven't seen atheists here make a compelling argument Finland's declining. It's one of the best educated nations out there.

As for Ireland it's a very different situation than us. Catholicism had been very dominant, almost like an official church, so the disaster in the Irish church had a bigger affect than any religious scandal could here. America is a religiously diverse nation so a scandal in one church can just lead to going to another. Ireland has other churches, but it's not the same. Also Ireland went through a rather rapid modernization process that could cause some degree of cultural transformation or change. Still the scandal in the Irish church did upset me more than that of the US church. It is deplorable.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
More good news....A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation. Those countries are Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland. BBC News - Religion may become extinct in nine nations, study says

Drastic church membership decline in Finland after a gay debate on TV - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality