Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 AM

47 posts, read 106,845 times

Advertisements

I'd take it a step further and say religion is the root of all evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,628,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
SUPERSTITION: A BELIEF FOR WHICH THERE IS NO MATERIAL EVIDENCE

The entire universe created in six days about 6000 years ago

A flood that covered the world to a level of six miles and evaporated within a few weeks

Big fish puking up live men

Entire cities being demolished and destroyed by an invisible man in the sky

The earth standing still

Walls falling at the sound of a trumpet

Men enduring a 1200 degree furnace

Seas parting long enough for the good guys to cross then drowning their pursuers

Virgin Birth

A man walking on water

Healing leprosy by a touch

Turning water into fine wine by blessing

Feeding 6000 or 8000 hungry people with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers

Restoring life to dead people

Resurrection
Qualify as superstition?...Hmmmm, that's debatable.
I think most understand it's metaphorical and allegorical...and has been messed with. They read/interpret it with that in mind.

Posting a list for the 5 dozenth time...so you can incessantly rag to a small group of strangers on the internet, about a book YOU KNOW was written by primitive, ignorant people thousands of years ago and subsequently adulterated and polluted by evil men on a quest for power, control, and money---that IS obsessive. And that's NOT debatable.

And before you note it...my constant ragging about The Atheist Crews' ragging...is indicative of the same. I'll admit I have a lack of tolerance for intolerance...and also lack respect for disrespect.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,587,076 times
And we couldn't care less. The only thing that matters is whether the logic and evidence supports a conclusion. If it doesn't then there is no reason to believe it. Whether the definition of 'superstition' fits is debatable but the logical mandate of non - belief is not.

Ragging is fun for a while then becomes tiresome. Calls to respect other's unsupported beliefs wear transparently thin.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,355,453 times
There are certainly aspects of religion(s) that overlap with what can be defined as superstition.

Superstition essentially is the idea that something you do can affect the world in unconnected ways. If I dance a certain dance... it might rain. If I walk under a ladder I will receive "bad luck". So on so on.

Thinking in this way is not limited to Humans either. A great experiment was done on Pigeons where they were randomly given free food. Pigeons would remember what they were doing at the time when free food arrived and keep repeating the process over and over in the hope it works again.

People who believe in god sometimes get on their knees, put their hands together, and recite or make up prayers in the hope that this will move that god to intervene in reality in beneficial ways.

In that sense at least there is a very clear overlap with superstitions of most types... the idea that the right proficiations will cause desirable results.

It is a realm that is very much open to confirmation bias. People claim that good things happen after they pray. However many people pray every day for many years. Over that time span good things are more and more likely to just happen anyway. The person seems to simply forget the number of prayers that were not answered, and one answered prayer confirms their superstition.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Qualify as superstition?...Hmmmm, that's debatable.
I think most understand it's metaphorical and allegorical...and has been messed with. They read/interpret it with that in mind.

Posting a list for the 5 dozenth time...so you can incessantly rag to a small group of strangers on the internet, about a book YOU KNOW was written by primitive, ignorant people thousands of years ago and subsequently adulterated and polluted by evil men on a quest for power, control, and money---that IS obsessive. And that's NOT debatable.

And before you note it...my constant ragging about The Atheist Crews' ragging...is indicative of the same. I'll admit I have a lack of tolerance for intolerance...and also lack respect for disrespect.
It started from my parents and grandparents when I was two...my first recollections. In grammar school I was required to memorize bible verses and pray. Wednesday night prayer meetings in Baptist or primitive Baptist churches. My grandmother telling me "OL' Scratch Will Get You." Prayers before every public event. Add to that nearly forty years in the church until I finally gave up about 15 years ago and knew I wouldn't believe all that BS if I live to 100.

Talk about ragging! If you stay here and they don't totally ban me you can find me...and I don't mean in the white pages.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
It started from my parents and grandparents when I was two...my first recollections. In grammar school I was required to memorize bible verses and pray. Wednesday night prayer meetings in Baptist or primitive Baptist churches. My grandmother telling me "OL' Scratch Will Get You." Prayers before every public event. Add to that nearly forty years in the church until I finally gave up about 15 years ago and knew I wouldn't believe all that BS if I live to 100.

Talk about ragging! If you stay here and they don't totally ban me you can find me...and I don't mean in the white pages.
I dig what you are saying MelG. Especially the part about your Gmother telling you The Devil was going to "get you". Wow!
I guess I can't say I'm not hip to where you are coming from. So---Rag on Brother...Rag on!!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,335 times
Quote:
I dig what you are saying MelG. Especially the part about your Gmother telling you The Devil was going to "get you". Wow!
I guess I can't say I'm not hip to where you are coming from. So---Rag on Brother...Rag on!!
She meant no harm. I've also heard her say no less than 100 times, "I'd Rather Be Dead Than To Be A Ni qqer."

See...west Tennessee is north Mississippi. She got her wish...she's been dead about forty years.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,587,076 times
Quote:
At least for you...your response PROVES that statement (bolded above) is less than forthright.

If it has become tiresome to you...then why don't you stop? Hmmmmm...that you don't stop...theeeeeeeere is the "logic and evidence" that "supports a conclusion" of your deep obsession/compulsion to be intolerant, rude, and disrespectful of others' differing beliefs/views/ways.

And it is no different than people who are intolerant/prejudice/biased/disrespectful of others, for any other reason. You need to get hip to that.
I don't usually. I had tried to have a reasonable discussion with you but it turns out to be futile. And any other response only ends up with time -wasting sniping and the mind - numbing 'You need to get Hip to that'. Jesus, you are so boring. You don't deserve respect and I should know better than to touch your posts with a ten foot pole but stark idiocy just cries out for a slap down.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I don't usually. I had tried to have a reasonable discussion with you but it turns out to be futile. And any other response only ends up with time -wasting sniping and the mind - numbing 'You need to get Hip to that'. Jesus, you are so boring. You don't deserve respect and I should know better than to touch your posts with a ten foot pole but stark idiocy just cries out for a slap down.
I put up a response to the OP on his thread opening post, and YOU were the one that commented to ME on it...now YOU complain about what I posted back. Now THAT'S "stark idiocy" for ya. But it figures that you wouldn't be hip to that.
You don't like my posts? Simple...don't read/comment on them. MOF, I think the site has an "ignore feature" so you don't even have to look at them.

Blow-hole toughguy spewing some goon stuff about "slap downs" on who they've determined "don't deserve respect", the other side of a computer screen 5,000 miles away. Where do you get off talkin' to me like that?!! Hmmmmm...why do I doubt you'd have the stones to say last sentence standing in front of me?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM

395 posts, read 1,285,607 times
Quote:
Anyone who actually believes two naked teen agers in a garden with a snake and apple determined the eternal fate of the human race is to be pitied IMO.
Actually the entire book of Genesis is deeply symbolic. Quite a lot of people (even the most devote Christians) take the literal word to word meaning of it and fall for teenagers running around naked. Genesis cannot be literally interpreted and neither can we interpret Book of Revelation by its literal wording.
When I was young, my parents put in in a residential convent where I had access to Bible. As part of reading my Gita, I also read Bible.

The actual, "Tree of Life" is the human body. The spinal cord is like an upturned tree, with man's hair as its roots, and afferent and efferent nerves as branches. The tree of the nervous system bears many enjoyable fruits, or sensations of sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. In these, man may rightfully indulge; but he was forbidden the experience of sex, the 'apple' at the center of the bodily garden.
"The 'serpent' represents the coiled-up spinal energy which stimulates the sex nerves. 'Adam' is reason, and 'Eve' is feeling. When the emotion or Eve-consciousness in any human being is overpowered by the sex impulse, his reason or Adam also succumbs. In Adam or man, reason predominated; in Eve or woman, feeling was ascendant. Thus was expressed the duality or polarity which underlies the phenomenal worlds. Reason and feeling remain in a heaven of cooperative joy so long as the human mind is not tricked by the serpentine energy of animal propensities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality