U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:31 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,420,888 times
Default Prayer: Repeat Daily...or Not?

When you pray, do you make your request known to God, then let it go and wait for an answer? Or....do you pray continously, everyday, until God finally answers? Does it matter which way? I was once critized and taken greatly to task for praying repeatedly, for our father to recover from congestive heart failure. This person (a family member) said I displayed a lack of faith, by asking of God the same thing day after day. He said: "doesn't God hear you the first time? Why can't you have faith to believe He hears? Why do you have to pray the SAME thing every day? You don't have the REAL Christianity...you don't have any faith, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc....". We eventually got over our differences and are amicable today, but I wonder: did he have a valid point? By the way, my father did recover....after TWO open heart surgeries. He is 88 yrs old and gets around fairly well, but scared us one day when he climbed up on the roof to fix a leak....

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,504,668 times
Luke 18:1 "One day Jesus told His disciples a story to illustrate their need for constant prayer and to show them that they must never give up".To persist in prayer and not give up does not mean endless repetition or painfully long prayer sessions. Constant prayer means keeping or request continually before God as we live for Him day by day believing He will answer. As we persist in prayer we grow in character, faith and hope. It brings such comfort to talk to the Father about our concerns and needs.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,506,315 times
I find myself praying some things over and over simply because those are the things than are in my heart. I've often wondered if God thought, "uh-oh, here she is again!" But He's an all knowing, all loving God and already knows what we're in need of way before we "pray".

IMO what God wants is for us to be in communion with him - seeking him in all things. He loves us! And I don't think he gets tired of what we talk to him about. The answers may not always be in the way we want or expect, but he always listens and he does answer according to His timing and His plan.

I heard a few years ago about a lady who had prayed every day for her husband's salvation and just never gave up. After 25 years, he finally turned to God. So her faithful prayers were not in vain. I remember this when I feel discouraged at having no apparent answer from God.

So...don't give up!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:42 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,680,518 times
I do the same thing! It's not about asking God over and over again because I think He didn't hear me. Of course He heard me. It's more about praying over and over because it's on my heart and I know He's the answer one way or the other to my prayer.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/jazzedforhim/innocent0001.gif (broken link)

Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,010,617 times
I heard a story in church one time about a man who was friends with another man since their early childhoods. The one became a christian early in life and began to witness to his friend. He prayed for over 65 years on behalf of his friend, who finally, weeks before he died, gave his life to the Lord!! That is loving, constant prayer and the type I think the Lord is looking for within us. I believe that by being in consistent prayer, we actually display our faith in God by showing Him this.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:11 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,504,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I find myself praying some things over and over simply because those are the things than are in my heart. I've often wondered if God thought, "uh-oh, here she is again!" But He's an all knowing, all loving God and already knows what we're in need of way before we "pray".

IMO what God wants is for us to be in communion with him - seeking him in all things. He loves us! And I don't think he gets tired of what we talk to him about. The answers may not always be in the way we want or expect, but he always listens and he does answer according to His timing and His plan.

I heard a few years ago about a lady who had prayed every day for her husband's salvation and just never gave up. After 25 years, he finally turned to God. So her faithful prayers were not in vain. I remember this when I feel discouraged at having no apparent answer from God.

So...don't give up!
Oh yes that is so true!!! Thank goodness my mother never gave up praying for me, 16 years I was away from God and she never stopped praying for me every day and night and God answered her prayers.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
When you pray, do you make your request known to God, then let it go and wait for an answer? Or....do you pray continously, everyday, until God finally answers? Does it matter which way? I was once critized and taken greatly to task for praying repeatedly, for our father to recover from congestive heart failure. This person (a family member) said I displayed a lack of faith, by asking of God the same thing day after day. He said: "doesn't God hear you the first time? Why can't you have faith to believe He hears? Why do you have to pray the SAME thing every day? You don't have the REAL Christianity...you don't have any faith, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc....". We eventually got over our differences and are amicable today, but I wonder: did he have a valid point? By the way, my father did recover....after TWO open heart surgeries. He is 88 yrs old and gets around fairly well, but scared us one day when he climbed up on the roof to fix a leak....

Bud
Hey Bud I don't think when u pray and make your petition known... u just stop there; nor, do u have to keep praying the same thing over and over. I think it is permissible, but it is not the most effective way to pray. When u r praying do u have a purpose in mind? I know the answer to that question seems obvious, but I am asking only to provoke a thought along these lines: Mark 11:24 says "Therefoe I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." Do u believe u receive what u have petitioned God for when u pray? If u say yes then why will u keep asking God for the same thing u have already received? Now as Christians we "...walk by faith and not by sight," so we can believe we receive at the time we pray, but if we keep asking the same thing-it maybe an indication we r not in faith, or we r double minded or wavering. The Word of God says "a double minded man will receive nothing and that it is impossible to please God without faith." Once u make your petition known and u believe u receive don't just stop there. When someone gives u a gift u say thank u. We r to do no less in praying, believing and receiving. When u pray praise and thank God until what u have believed for manifests in your life. Hebrews 4:14 says "Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession" [confession]. We r to pray always, continually speak God's Word and and confess our belief in HIS Word. I don't think there is just one way to pray though. I know in my own life when I pray according to scripture I am far more effective. I am glad to hear your dad is doing well

Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 222,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Bud
The way he tried to make his point was horrible, IMO. But, I do agree on a couple of things.

I believe that if you pray according to God's will (which I believe it is God's will that as believers we walk in healing, not in sickness) and truly believe and KNOW that God will answer and do all of this in Jesus' name then after you initially pray, simply keep thanking God for the manifestation of your healing until it appears (and after)! Praise Him and thank Him that He HAS healed you according to the promises in His word.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen....

Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,420,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
The way he tried to make his point was horrible, IMO. But, I do agree on a couple of things.

I believe that if you pray according to God's will (which I believe it is God's will that as believers we walk in healing, not in sickness) and truly believe and KNOW that God will answer and do all of this in Jesus' name then after you initially pray, simply keep thanking God for the manifestation of your healing until it appears (and after)! Praise Him and thank Him that He HAS healed you according to the promises in His word.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen....
(You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jeffncandace again.) Dang-blast-it! That's a GOOD reply Jeff!

Bud

Old 11-23-2007, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,048 times
All the replies are great input. Bible reading for clarity as to prayer diversity.
Psalms is laden with confidence in God hearing and understanding our prayers before we ask. The prophets are laden with assurances that the response may incur a heavenly battle, but was heard from the first. Repentance is modeled in examples the full swing (from Old Testament delayed 7 washings in the Jordan River for leprosy healing, to New Testament Peter diving to also walk on water yet upon being rescued by Christ and returning with Christ into the boat - Christ blesses all disciples in the boat, not just Peter). Though Job's 'friends' came to see him, they at least had the decency to not dive into his issues and remained speechless 4 days.

Isa 41:1 offers a great How-To for healthy Christianity (whether in lost condition or trials, we feel we are an island; drawing nearer to God will bring spiritual strength; as shown here in this blog-the people renew their strength seeking God together; wisdom from the biblical seekings and encouragements follows; greater peace and endurance through the trials or hardships result): "Keep silence before me, O islands; and let the people renew [their] strength: let them come near; then let them speak: let us come near together to judgment."

My 1st husb was a criminal; still lives an evil life. Prayer during those many years was effective, in my case, as David's harp-playing was to Saul. But eventually God made clear a time and place that was the end of my involvement. Again, God's spirit made it clear to my heart and my understanding, human logic nor emotion was not the driving force. Study scriptural spouses: Rachel's trickeries, Abigail's spouse, Michal's marriages; also, the biblical husbands--lots of insightful reading for those praying for unsaved and unyielded or distracted spouses. Read and pray, read and pray, read and pray - and be encouraged. God bless you all. Be encouraged, the Word says in Psalms that since God is righteous, his righteousness requires Him to be righteous--that is--He will always behave righteously toward us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality