Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
I believe that the answer is really simple:

Answer this question: what do you like to do?

Then do it.
The things I liked doing actually quite counter productive to some of social interaction I seek. Most of things I like doing are quite geekish. Like watching Anime, designing roads/highways, and building computers. Well I used purse these activist and soon enough I found myself isolated from my peers and usually made fun of and being called a geek. One of reasons I never managed to get girlfriend yet (I am 25!).

I recently almost stopped these activities and tried to get involved in social activities even though I don't really enjoy them. Like I got sport lounge/bars even though I don't like sports and I don't drink. I would really like to be one cool guys in group but honestly I just HATE pop culture most people seem to be into these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
It seems to me that you are just too goal oriented?
Most people who get depressed are like this, they suddenly discover that they care too much, or realise that they don't care at all.

I'm curious; do you know the difference between gaming and playing?

Old 01-23-2011, 04:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I think this first time in my life I haven't had any major goals to accomplish. I finished college, got a good job, and even bought job. Right now, I am just working on getting promotion and graduate degree. It almost seems like am checking of all goals in my life. However, I have yet find a bigger meaning or purpose of life beyond this.

What is left in my life seem simple enough. Work, get promoted, retire, and maybe get marriage and have kids along the way. But is really any sort of real meaning to all of this? Seems like I am just drudging along life path without an overall meaning.

I will mention I am a not so religious Muslim. Many religious people may say living a good life and going to heaven is purpose. But that really doesn't seem all that great to me, since I think the life here on earth needs to have purpose. Some people say it is all about helping others. However, if life is all about helping your fellow men, Earth almost looks like hell to me. People are living trouble life through crime, war and poverty and usually all of this is caused by other people.

I just feel like I need to find my own philosophy in life in order to be happy. Right now life seem like almost not worth living except to indulge in pleasure, like eating tons of tasty food!.
This is a good and big question. The easy answer has always been personal gratification. Sensual pleasures, riches and acquisitions. The hollywood myth that wealth will only ruin your life and make you miserable has some merit.

I see people wo come into a lot of money and really have no idea what to do with it do seem to end up with a load of expensive rubbish they don't need and no goals. They really do seem to drift.

It is very tempting to take the easy option and let other people provide a meaning for you. As a not so religious muslim you could easily find a meaning in muslim culture and belief, but it would be theirs, not yours.

I found that, once I accepted that there was no meaning in life and (given that I didn't fancy suicide) it was entirely down to me to decide what meanings I wanted, I let human curiosity guide me. I wanted to know. I wanted to know truth and facts and I still do. It is the principal 'meaning' in my life.

I do value sensual pleasures, weath and acquisitions. What I need, not what I think others would expect me to do and acquire. I don't waste my limited time or resources on stuff that other people value but I don't. Why should I?

Ok, this sounds like it's all about myself. But I'm wondering whether the same reasoning might clarify what is meaningful to you because you consider it to be meaningful.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Life is order and sequence. Death is disorder, entropy.

Just heard that the other day, and I liked it.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
Life is order and sequence. Death is disorder, entropy.
I dunno, to me life seems more chaotic than death.
I mean death only has 1 state, you can't be more orderly than that.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 AM

My life is orderly. I can't speak for others.

A place for everything, and everything in its place.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by TKramar
Quote:
My life is orderly. I can't speak for others.
Be that as it may, but you agree that only the living change, right?
Death is the final transformation; once you're death you don't change. Ever.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 AM

Sure you do, or your body wouldn't decay.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 AM

I'm not just my body.
It is true that when I've died my body (the parts that aren't used for organ donation) will decay, but that isn't me anymore.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I'm not just my body.
It is true that when I've died my body (the parts that aren't used for organ donation) will decay, but that isn't me anymore.
Oh? Who is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality