Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM

598 posts, read 917,329 times

Advertisements

If you do not purposely make your children religious, there is zero chance they will be -- even when they are exposed to any and every religions.

That's hard for a religious person to believe. But, think about how you became religious, was it easy? Religious ideas are hard -- "save the whole world by nailing someone on a cross", "do not eat pork" ... unless children are coerced by parents (they do need parent's love, and they want to make parents happy), they certainly do not crave that kind of stuffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
If you do not purposely make your children religious, there is zero chance they will be

So every child who wasn't "made" (whatever that means) to be religious, is not and has never been religious?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So every child who wasn't "made" (whatever that means) to be religious, is not and has never been religious?
Were you born-religious? Was anyone born-religious?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Were you born-religious? Was anyone born-religious?

No I was not.

However, that is irrelevant to your statement: "If you do not purposely make your children religious, there is zero chance they will be" as people can become religious regardless of their parent's efforts.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No I was not.

However, that is irrelevant to your statement: "If you do not purposely make your children religious, there is zero chance they will be" as people can become religious regardless of their parent's efforts.
I made that statement in a "raising children" context -- of course in someone's life later on, people with deep influences (most of the time, spouse or future spouse) can do the same.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I made that statement in a "raising children" context -- of course in someone's life later on, people with deep influences (most of the time, spouse or future spouse) can do the same.
Yes, that's why it's risky to use terms like "zero chance".

Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not a parent but I think they should remain neutral on the subject and let the child make up his or her mind when they're old enough to understand what it even means. My one sister who's an atheist has two grown boys and that's pretty much what they did. I honestly don't know what either one of them think about the subject but they grew up to be decent young men and that's what really matters. I've seen parents on news programs who have appeared to be using their children to further their own beliefs. I don't think that's right. I recall a couple of instances when I've seen fairly young kids whose parents were atheists and were involved in lawsuits against schools for issues like prayer in school. I've also seen religious parents use their kids in similar situations. I think it's unfair in both instances for parents to use their own children to promote a personal agenda or to force them to believe exactly as the parents so. Let them live their own lives and form their own opinions.

I guess thats the kind of house I grew up in.. No real practice of anything, but we did have Christmas and easter but it was about a tree, presents and the easter bunny. No religious aspect at all.

My parents became catholic after my brother and I grew up and moved out of the house. I had absolutely no attachment to any religion. My parents were involved in lawsuits against the school for teaching religion and prayer in school. I was not used in fact I didn't know till I was grown that they had been involved. I just knew that one year my desk was out in the hallway once a week when the religion teacher came and the next year it wasn't.

I grew up with a spiritual connection I guess and wished my parents had some religious affiliation since I saw most of my friends going somewhere each week so I felt really isolated. I spent my life trying to find where that connection would take me and I did. Now I know the gift my parents gave me was not indoctrinating me into a religion. That let me choose my own.

Ive been a bit different in that my kids have been able to choose and have learned about religions. I chose a religion and my kids wanted to follow me. They will choose when they are older if they want to make it official. I have never told them its the only right religion but I want them to understand that a few religions have theology of their being the only right religion and I have cautioned them because I see that as problematic. I also see that much of the violence in history and even in modern times is absolutely connected to the belief of "we have the only truth".

Old 01-20-2010, 10:00 PM

98 posts, read 147,415 times
I was raised in a completely neutral home. Religion was never a subject unless one of us asked a question. Just like none of us were interested in mountain climbing so it was never discussed. If one of us had a question about mountain climbing then our parents answered the question but they had no opinion one way or the other about it because it wasn't an interest of theirs.

All 3 of us were raised with very high moral values and all of us are good, productive members of society in our late 40s. We have all subsequently raised our children the same way with the same outcomes.

Our parents allowed us to go to church with our friends, we were Scouts, etc. There is no way to raise your children in this country with no knowledge of Christianity since it permeates every part of our society. But if it is a non-subject in your home you tend to not get many questions because your children just aren't intetrested in it. But if we do get questions we just answer them honestly. Same with mountain climbing. They may go to an indoor climbing place every once in a while with their friends and come home and say they had fun....but in depth questions about mountain climbing itself? Naw, because it isn't a regular subject in their home.

All of our children are still raised with very high moral values, my son has one step to his Eagle Scout, my other son participates in Special Olympics. We are not threatened by their participation in religious organizations, nor do we not allow it, because those organizations really have very little influence on them.

We believe, just as our parents did, that our children should not make such an important choice until they are adults and are aware of exactly what that choice entails and that they are making it as an informed adult. And those decisions are up to them and are their personal business.

I was a very happy kid, with very high morals and so are my children, along with my nieces and nephews. You can raise your children in a totally neutral home, we are second generation proof.

Last edited by Crackalackish; 01-20-2010 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality