Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,909,621 times

Advertisements

I watched "How the Earth Was Made" last night. The episode was on the history and geological evidence of the ultra-violent 1883 eruption of the island of Krakatoa in the south Pacific. Apparenltly 10% of the earth's population heard this one, the loudest sound ever heard on this planet!

But further scientific investigation of the area, plus known "proofing" of it's consequences to the earth's atmosphere, reliably captured in both Antarctica's and Greenland's ice core layers (easily dated via ice "varves", BTW) allowed volcanologist researchers to discover an earlier eruption, similarly memorialized in ice and sediment/ash layers from all over the earth, of about 535 BC, during the days of the Roman Empire.

It was apparently significantly more violent than the 1883 event. (They also warn of the next major eruption, demo'd by the rapid rise of Anak Krakatua (the "son of Krakatoa", an island that has appeared in the ancient caldera of the original volcano. Oh-ohhhh..)

Photos of the Krakatoa eruption (Indonesia)

Given the modern-day propensity for jumps-to-judgment, with their hurried and joyous interpretations of such events as the Haitian earthquake, a small flock of red-winged blackbirds falling from the sky coupled with (Oh No!), a typical fish die off, and some incorrect determinations that earthquakes are increasing in frequency...

..all seen as direct and obvious (!!) evidence that the Great Tribulation is en-route to a theatre near you...

What on earth did the priests and shamans during the 1883 eruption think when they actually heard a physical eruption well over 4000 miles away? Coupled with the eventual news release that well over 35,000 people had died instantaneously?

"God is coming, and He's not at all pleased! Beware! The End is Nigh!"

And yet, predictably, it all died down, and a visit to that island now shows plants and animals, all re-introduced by migration, evolution and, well, the natural tendency of life to get on with it, despite the determinations of man's hubris and self-centered beliefs.

Q: are we safe from the Hands of God and His Holy Retributions? Or should I start digging my shelter this morning?

(Say.. .was that a tremor I just felt? oh. no. It was just a truck going by. Damn! Too bad. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,799,951 times
I don't know, but I'm gonna be safe and go buy another gun anyway... just in case...

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,999,725 times
To be honest Rife, I'm not sure many believers (and Americans in general) have ever heard of a dog named Krakatoa. Asking them to find Indonesia on a map is another story. As far as some are concerned, that place is some place in Indiana or it's the "Indian name" for Indiana.

Krakatoa gets all the press, of course, but nearby Tambora, a few years earlier, was also no joke and it is suspected that its blast was even more terrible. Then just a few years after Krakatoa was Pelee in my neck of the woods -Martinique - which killed EVERYONE in the nearby town of St. Pierre with the exception of 2 or 3 people. Since it happened in relatively recent times and close to the U.S and Europe (as opposed to the afroementioned other two), scientists were able to get a better understanding of these NATURAL wonders of the earth that have been blasting off whenever they feel like for millions, upon millions of years now. Those who avoid history books like a plague from Satan naturally freak out when one blows its stack as if it is something new. Yeah; new to them.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Default Big Bang II. Or is it II? Or IV? Who's counting anyhow?

Hee hee. Good stuff, IiDM. I'll bet you're a lot of fun at a partéh, neh?

Anyhow, the other fun little Caldera is in good old Yellowstone, which will, I'll go on official Prediction & Prophecy record here and now, go "Kah-Bah-Bumpho", real loud, in the not-too-distant future. There's a lineup of past old calderas (crater remnants) strung like pearls directly out to the west of Yellowstone, since the top plate is gliding over the bottom, more fixed plate, and every few tens of thousands of years (in fact, scheduled for any time now, and v. busy geologically in the past 100 yrs), it wants out again!

If so, it's estimated that another typical Yellowstone eruption would eliminate life as we know it for about 1/2 of the SE and Eastern US population, with stunning ecological effects on the rest of the world for the following 20 - 30 years. O. M. G., huh?

The "Tribs" will haveth arriv~éd...

and they told me this would happen, but did I pray for forgiveness just to be on the safe side? Neeoooooh.

What an idiot, huh? I'm ashamed.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,999,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hee hee. Good stuff, IiDM. I'll bet you're a lot of fun at a partéh, neh?

Anyhow, the other fun little Caldera is in good old Yellowstone, which will, I'll go on official Prediction & Prophecy record here and now, go "Kah-Bah-Bumpho", real loud, in the not-too-distant future. There's a lineup of past old calderas (crater remnants) strung like pearls directly out to the west of Yellowstone, since the top plate is gliding over the bottom, more fixed plate, and every few tens of thousands of years (in fact, scheduled for any time now, and v. busy geologically in the past 100 yrs), it wants out again!

If so, it's estimated that another typical Yellowstone eruption would eliminate life as we know it for about 1/2 of the SE and Eastern US population, with stunning ecological effects on the rest of the world for the following 20 - 30 years. O. M. G., huh?

The "Tribs" will haveth arriv~éd...

and they told me this would happen, but did I pray for forgiveness just to be on the safe side? Neeoooooh.

What an idiot, huh? I'm ashamed.
Yeah, I've heard about Yellowstone. Good thing is, if it blows, I won't have to go to work tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:19 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Aw, these eruptions are just minor burps compared to the eruptions 250 million years ago that caused the massive Permian extinction...But God hadn't been invented yet, so he could not have caused them.

"Our research is the first to show direct evidence that massive volcanic eruptions — the largest the world has ever witnessed — caused massive coal combustion, thus supporting models for significant generation of greenhouse gases at this time," Grasby said in a release.

The results of the research are published in the current issue of Nature Geoscience.

Read more: CBC News - Technology & Science - Volcanoes led to world's largest extinction: study

Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,582,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Q: are we safe from the Hands of God and His Holy Retributions?
I don't think so. New York City got hit with a third major snowstorm within three weeks last night. I'm sure this speaks to some kind of retribution.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Snow is just God's dandruff...

I saw that on CNN just a bit ago, Fred. My condolences!

Say; do you think a sort of hi-tech heavenly snow-shovel, (Holy-cowâ„¢! blended carbon-fiber bucket, Satanically honed [and thus unbendable...] stainless steel edge, and an ultra-light empty-headed handle, would sell if it were to be labeled "God's Shovel Blade of Holy Snowstorm Retribution: and....$5 of each $289.99 purchase goes into the local NYC Church collection plate! ")

Waddahyahthink?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,614,229 times
I was seeing something about this on CNN or one of the majors yesterday
Two-Thirds of US Threatened By Yellowstone-Volcanic Eruption

So - grandson of Krakatoa notwithstanding, wouldn't our immediate concerns be this sucker?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Well yes and no. I mean, what'cha goin' to do anyhow? Pump some concrete down the first boiling lava-filled crevass you see out there? Probably you'll be running for your private waiting Lear Jet to, quick-like, flash the heck outa there!

And let's not forget a prayer for the good but doomed citizens of Livingston, MT. Or anything or place-else within an about 2000 mile radius.

God will Have his Way, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality