Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times

Advertisements

Risk vs. reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,005,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Risk vs. reward.
But you can't come up with a risk vs. reward scheme based on only two possibilities. Without any knowledge whatsoever to narrow the options, there are literally infinite possibilities to consider. To say that you only have to choose between God and no God is completely ignoring that.

I also don't get the notion that the truth will be beneficial to any of us. That would only be true if the truth is a higher power in which exists exactly or similarly to the Christian God. But isn't that just a little too convenient... that people believe in the one thing that makes the feel the best? How many other situations in life are like that? None.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Sure I can.

I go to work because I get paid to work. If I don't go, I don't get paid.

I get rewarded when I work and punished when I don't.

Even if I might not get paid even if I work, working is still the only option that brings me reward.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,834,267 times
And in between work and family past times there exists The Fuzz; quality time is a cinch in the computer age.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Do any of you atheists teach your children religion?

Do you speak positively about religion?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,390,079 times
Particular because parents ARE responsible for upbringing their children in this world. These children don't belong to them. They belong to God Himself. Children are a gift, and from a Christian perspective, parents are to teach or point their children to the Word of God. They have been given a special work to serve as stewards of their children from God so I would take the job quite serious.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Particular because parents ARE responsible for upbringing their children in this world. These children don't belong to them. They belong to God Himself. Children are a gift, and from a Christian perspective, parents are to teach or point their children to the Word of God. They have been given a special work to serve as stewards of their children from God so I would take the job quite serious.
OR...if Christians don't continue to brainwash their infants and small children with that hogwash it will surely fall by the wayside. Back to my favorite excerpt from a Thomas Jefferson letter to John Adams:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"

Thomas Jefferson wrote his own version of the new testament leaving out all the miracles and other unbelievable malarky:

http://www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/

Last edited by Melvin.George; 01-31-2011 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
I disagree, it is a parent's duty to instill their own values into their children, regardless of what they are. There is no guarantee that those values will stick, but a parent can do no other and be responsible.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,555,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I disagree, it is a parent's duty to instill their own values into their children, regardless of what they are. There is no guarantee that those values will stick, but a parent can do no other and be responsible.
Don't worry. It won't be long now till folks who believe in virgin birth, healing by touching, walking on water and resurrection will be laughing stocks. I have an idea teaching children that sort of nonsense will no longer be in the vogue...so to speak.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 AM

20,425 posts, read 12,723,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Don't worry. It won't be long now till folks who believe in virgin birth, healing by touching, walking on water and resurrection will be laughing stocks. I have an idea teaching children that sort of nonsense will no longer be in the vogue...so to speak.
It's been happening for thousands of years. It won't end anytime soon. Parents will always teach their children what's important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality