U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-09-2011, 05:40 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,995,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Why didn't he just lay out what He wanted us to do in simple terms?
Because, none one would have embraced it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-19-2011, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 893 times
Smile The bible is very easy to understand

Katiemygirl,
The Bible is very easy to understand when you get a copy of the Living Bible. You'll have to get it used (buy on line from some Christian bookstore) because it is no longer printed by Tindall. It is written in today's language and not King James; however you can do what I did and that is to read a chaper in the Living Bible & then read the same chaper in the King James. After a while, you will see the same thing is being said but using different language. I know this will work for you!

poochyesmart,8/19/11

Unread 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

7,884 posts, read 3,989,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Have you committed your life to following Christ, or are you reading the Bible as an intellectual undertaking?

It really does make a difference as God does not reveal His truths to those who won't believe.
Odd that! One would think that those are the very people that your god would reveal to.

Quote:
He wants us to search the scriptures daily.
It might be worth considering that if you have to search your Bible so much for 'truth', perhaps there wasn't any truth in it to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
MLK, the closest to a Christ that I ever heard,......
Pity his private life didn't bear that out. Violence towards his wife, drinking, sex orgies with prostitutes and infidelity....very 'Christlike'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
After all, the OT contained many, many prophecies which pointed directly at Jesus Christ.....
Ummm, don't think so dude. Not unless you can show that your man-god was the prophesied 'Messiah'. The Jew say he wasn't and they should know. They were their prophecies after all.

Unread 08-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Status: "I'd procrastinate,too, but I can't be bothered." (set 18 days ago)

14,188 posts, read 5,964,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochyesmart View Post
Katiemygirl,
The Bible is very easy to understand when you get a copy of the Living Bible. You'll have to get it used (buy on line from some Christian bookstore) because it is no longer printed by Tindall. It is written in today's language and not King James; however you can do what I did and that is to read a chaper in the Living Bible & then read the same chaper in the King James. After a while, you will see the same thing is being said but using different language. I know this will work for you!

poochyesmart,8/19/11
I don't think that will solve the problem, because the confusion is not in the archaic language of the Jacobeans, but in the many aspects of the Bible that do not make sense. The unbelievable genesis and pointless flood. The cruelties and Barbarism of the OT. The Puritan rantings of Jeremiah and the incoherence and unbelievability of the gospels.

No, don't trouble to protest. The fact and topic of the thread is that that many people do find the Bible confusing and the only way to not find it confusing is to gloss over the confusion by ignoring it and saying it isn't there. We have the quoting of the Bible to prove that God is good and just when it actually looks like he isn't. It says we can trust the Bible as true when it looks very much a though it isn't.

The fact is, that if you dare to put blind faith aside and read it with an open mind (which does not mean unquestioningly accepting) it is confusing, worrying and ultimately, unbelievable.

Unread 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,119,318 times
Because it was a collaborative effort spanning centuries, by many different people with different agendas speaking different languages. It was then haphazardly amended repeatedly, again by different people with different agendas speaking different languages. The authors were quite ignorant, which is hardly surprising considering the times in which they lived. Selected parts of if it were then rejected for not saying the right things. The whole remaining text was then translated, almost always introducing a a variety of new flaws.

It would be shocking if it wasn't the incoherent mess that it is.

Unread 08-20-2011, 04:24 AM

Yes, but I'd suggest that the internal evidence indicates that isn't really how and why it was written. Given that the Pentateuch must be based on some much older texts (though I doubt much older than 1,000 BC - the Jeremaic raging against whoredoms with Assyria are around 7th c BC) the indication that the prophecies of Tyre, Daniel and I think Babylon show knowledge of the events after Alexander (eg, the causway built to the island of Tyre) and the Selecucid wars (Daniel's text can be matched to the events of the Ptolemy - Selucus struggle) but not after then suggests to me that much of the OT was put together at that time presumably to promise that the revolt would succeed (as it did) and hopes for a bright future.

The New Testament was of course written within a much shorter period later 1st century at earliest if not post Jewish war.

Unread 08-20-2011, 04:20 PM

52 posts, read 20,626 times
Quote:
..I have spent long hours studying my Bible and still feel confused about certain things...
Seems simple enough to me..
"Love God, love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor"-Jesus of Nazareth

Getting sidetracked by over-study is a no-no
Paul said - "I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)

Jesus is easy to understand..
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

All the studying in the world won't necessarily help anybody, as Jesus told the priests-
"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39/40)

Unread 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM

All that is happening here is ignoring the confusions by ignoring them - what you call 'getting sidetracked' and just taking the claims at face value, on Faith.

Unread 08-21-2011, 01:09 AM

3,664 posts, read 1,491,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
MLK, the closest to a Christ that I ever heard,......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Pity his private life didn't bear that out. Violence towards his wife, drinking, sex orgies with prostitutes and infidelity....very 'Christlike'.
I know what I said, some one else may be unclear....
The words he used are Christ like..... Why is the Bible so confusing?
MLK, the closest to a Christ that I ever heard, say, "we will love you no matter what you choose to do to us."

Also, if your going to assassinate a person's character, would it not be appropriate to back it up with the documentation?

Gale - Free Resources - Black History - Biographies - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"King Sr. was inclined to be a severe disciplinarian, but his wife's firm gentleness — which was by no means permissive — generally carried the day".

The problem with some one taking a leadership position, not every one likes the leader or the position. Think about it, they hung Christ as if he had committed some heinous crime. So character assassinations are common practice.

And so it goes on to this day. We have so few leaders with many that need to be led. For the life of me, I don't understand why any one would want to become a Prime Minister or a President today or ever. To have your life picked apart by the vultures of our society, doesn't seem like a very rewarding way to spend one's life to me.

As for as reading the Bible, it is meant to be taken as a whole, not picked a part, keeping that which we like and disregarding that which we don't. In fact I can't imagine any book if read in part would make much sense to any body. It's like coming into a room in the middle of a conversation and the person acting as if, they know every detail of what's going on and they understand all that's been said.

However, that's what we do, we act as if we understand all, when we really haven't a clue. Also, to tell part of a story and not the whole story makes it easier to mislead everybody. There are books of the Bible that are not included. I suspect political reasoning to leave those out.

However, the essence of humanity in a society in which we let politics rule the day and how it happens that we loose our freedoms, it's in there. There is only one true freedom for humanity and it's not to be had in this life, but it takes a leap of faith to obtain it.

Not everyone is willing to go that far.

Last edited by actonbell; 08-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: fonts

Unread 08-21-2011, 01:28 AM

52 posts, read 20,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
All that is happening here is ignoring the confusions by ignoring them - what you call 'getting sidetracked' and just taking the claims at face value, on Faith.
Nah, Christianity WORKS like it says on the tin, it's a POWER thing..

"After Jesus spent the night in prayer,everybody tried to touch him because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)

"My Christian faith is my backbone"- Bear Grylls (said on TV and his website)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality