Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM

834 posts, read 2,274,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ev 18:22 And you shall not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is a perversion.
Again this is referring to homosexual acts by heterosexual men who had families. Multiple wives at that! There were no openly gay people at that time. Ergo, this would not be addressing them.
This is referring to the Roman baths and men acting like perverts. It's really very clear if you study in its context. It's disgusting how people twist the Bible to hide their own bigotry and hatred.

Quote:
However, you are right...ALL sins should be addressed, not just the sin of homosexuality, but also, fornicating, adultry, drunkenness, idolotry, lust, etc....This is where we fail as Christians...
Big time fail..big, big, big. These issues are often lightly touched upon because they hit too close to home. Most people sitting in church with their pinched smiles aren't gay. But how many of them get drunk, are divorced, had multiple sex partners, lived together before they were married, had children out of wedlock, had affairs, lust after their co-workers, go to strip clubs. Addressing this might make the pews a little squirmy that day.
No, it's much more fun to run after gay people with torches and pitchforks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Everything in the NT is dated...So, let us just throw everything out...Hey, ya wanna hook up with me?...I know it says in the scriptures we shouldn't...But, that is just an outdated mode of thinking and really does not apply to our society today...Ya know, as long as you don't physically hurt anyone...Do what feels gooood!...
You aren't addressing the question.

You either take the Bible literally or you don't. Picking and choosing what you are going to take literally is wrong and hypocritical.

So the Bible is outdated when it comes to women speaking in church and covering their heads, but it's right on the money for other things?

Growing up I never understood why Christians were called hypocrites. I understand it now.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM

23,005 posts, read 34,336,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post

You either take the Bible literally or you don't. Picking and choosing what you are going to take literally is wrong and hypocritical.

So the Bible is outdated when it comes to women speaking in church and covering their heads, but it's right on the money for other things?

Growing up I never understood why Christians were called hypocrites. I understand it now.
The Bible is NOT outdated. In the Corinthian culture women were not allowed to confront men in public. Some women had become Christians and thought their Christian freedom gave them the right to question the men in public worship. This was causing division in the church. Paul was asking the women not to flaunt their Christian freedom during worship. The purpose of Paul's words was to promote unity, not to teach about women's roles in church.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,799,529 times
Not sure why this thread is on the Christian Forum, except, perhaps, the subject tends to incite Bible-believing Christians to reject what the Bible clearly says is not true.

But, then, most of the debate herein is based on social and cultural bias or genetic research ... with little, if any, regard for what the Bible says. Thus, my original question, "Why is this thread on the Christian Forum?"

Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Why is this thread on the Christian Forum?"
Because it's often a hot topic among Christians and Christians seems to be the most vocal of all religious groups of their disdain for homosexualaity. Though I agree this is a better place for it.
It just seems a topic of homosexuality cannot be brought up without someone throwing the Bible into it.

Nobody lives their life according to the Bible. Nobody. We should all focus on being better people and showing love for one another rather than hate. I'll take my awesome, loving gay friends any day over the hateful people in this thread.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,829,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It is not an interpretation...It is black and white so no interpretation is needed...
How odd that the parts of the Bible you love, like the parts that allow you to castigate homosexuals, are "black and white and need no interpretation" yet so much other stuff that you don't like, such as anything that shows your Bible and your god in a bad light, which are also 'black and white', have to be interpreted until they no longer resemble anything even near to what they say 'in black and white'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Jesus came and established a new covenant.
Unless that new covenant means that one can't exercise one's hatred and bigotry against gays...then one has to resort back to the 'old' covenant' to give one an excuse to continue..

Old 04-18-2012, 07:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,962,378 times
Quote:
Again this is referring to homosexual acts by heterosexual men who had families. Multiple wives at that! There were no openly gay people at that time. Ergo, this would not be addressing them.
This is referring to the Roman baths and men acting like perverts. It's really very clear if you study in its context. It's disgusting how people twist the Bible to hide their own bigotry and hatred.

Leviticus was written between 1440 and 1400 B.C. during the 40 years of wandering in the desert...According to history the city of Rome was founded c.753 April 21 by two brothers, Romulus and Remus...The Roman Empire was from 27 B.C. to 393 A.D....So, here is the question...If Rome was not even a city let alone an empire at the time the Levitical Laws were written and Roman Baths did not exist at the time also, how would Leviticus 18:22 be referring to Roman Baths?...The perverse nature of the Romans did not develop until the emipre days...And it was the Greeks that were far worse in this respect for they believed that women were merely for bearing ones children, beating on when one had a bad day, cooking ones meals and keeping ones house...Only a man knew how to truly love another man...there was also the practice of Pederasty (I'll let you look that one up)...It is disgusting how people twist the Bible to justify there own sins...I have read the theology on the gaychurch.org website and how they attempt to break down the Greek and Hebrew words ,and only give half of the definitions from Strong's Concordance, just the words in the definition that will give a different meaning to the word all together...And how they attempt to make it out that David and Jonathan were gay lovers...If you knew the history of Rome and the history of the Levitical Laws, when someone came and told you that information you would have noticed the same problem I have...The huge difference in the time line of the two events...So, logically a question would have formed in your mind, 'How could this be?'...2+2=4, not 5 (unless one is a bad mathematician)...You must put the facts together, Rose....

Quote:
Big time fail..big, big, big. These issues are often lightly touched upon because they hit too close to home. Most people sitting in church with their pinched smiles aren't gay. But how many of them get drunk, are divorced, had multiple sex partners, lived together before they were married, had children out of wedlock, had affairs, lust after their co-workers, go to strip clubs. Addressing this might make the pews a little squirmy that day.
No, it's much more fun to run after gay people with torches and pitchforks.
What if they pass a law, and teach the school children, that it is scientifically proven that monogamous relationships are unhealthy for people and that being promiscuous is healthier...And further, they ban marriage and monogamy...And encourage people and children to report anyone they suspect of having a monogamous relationship, how would you handle this from a biblical standpoint?...Would you go along with the crowd?...

Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I don't believe you know what a hypocrite is still...A hypocrite is a person who engages in the same behavior that he/she condemns others for, a person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them...Picking and choosing is not the definition that fits this word...If one preaches against a particular sin and at the same time engages in that same sin themselves, that would be a Hypocrite...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Because it's often a hot topic among Christians and Christians seems to be the most vocal of all religious groups of their disdain for homosexualaity. Though I agree this is a better place for it.
It just seems a topic of homosexuality cannot be brought up without someone throwing the Bible into it.

Nobody lives their life according to the Bible. Nobody. We should all focus on being better people and showing love for one another rather than hate. I?I'll take my awesome, loving gay friends any day over the hateful people in this thread.
And Bingo!...Now we know why you are so adament in your defense of the gay culture and where you get your theology from...It seems as if you are the one picking and choosing from the Bible and twisting...Drunkards do the same thing, as do warmongers, polygamists, etc....I'll bet you would call a Police officer hateful if he pulled you over for violating the speed limit laws and driving 30 miles over the speed limit...Wouldn't you?...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
How odd that the parts of the Bible you love, like the parts that allow you to castigate homosexuals, are "black and white and need no interpretation" yet so much other stuff that you don't like, such as anything that shows your Bible and your god in a bad light, which are also 'black and white', have to be interpreted until they no longer resemble anything even near to what they say 'in black and white'.

Unless that new covenant means that one can't exercise one's hatred and bigotry against gays...then one has to resort back to the 'old' covenant' to give one an excuse to continue..
Have I ever said that I hate gay people?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality