U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times

Advertisements

I am an atheist, but I understand how an intelligent person could look at this beautiful world around us and believe that a divine force has created it.

Once you believe in a divine force, or a god, why do you feel restrained to accept an existing religion?

Couldn't you just form your own theology? You may choose to believe in a single god or multiple gods like the Hundus. You could believe your god wants you to behave in a certain manner, or you could believe that your god created you as you are and doesn't care what you do.

It seems that developing your own theology would be a rewarding and enjoyable life-long journey, and much more interesting than just memorizing large parts of a bible or a Quran.

Have any of you developed your own religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM

21,188 posts, read 20,994,094 times
Well, I call myself a Heatherist (my name is Heather) but I'm not sure I've developed my own religion. I just see the world in my own special way and I don't try to fit my ideas into something that they don't fit. However, I think my beliefs are too vague and broad to actually qualify as a religion.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Well, I call myself a Heatherist (my name is Heather) but I'm not sure I've developed my own religion. I just see the world in my own special way and I don't try to fit my ideas into something that they don't fit. However, I think my beliefs are too vague and broad to actually qualify as a religion.
Dewdrop, a lot of us have a view of the world that we cannot exactly put into words.

I think if you have formed a belief system that satisfies you and helps you deal with this crazy and beautiful world, then it qualifies as a religion. Good for you!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,901,271 times
I decry religion.

I have a faith and belief that I share.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,800,908 times
I call myself a follower of the philosophy of Jesus because I don't believe that Jesus is a god (read: more than human).
I'm not sure it is a religion, but I'm certain that it is a philosophy.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Dewdrop, a lot of us have a view of the world that we cannot exactly put into words.

I think if you have formed a belief system that satisfies you and helps you deal with this crazy and beautiful world, then it qualifies as a religion. Good for you!
Thanks! Yup - it works for me!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I decry religion.

I have a faith and belief that I share.
Oh - but you haven't heard about my religion yet. Do you have a few hours? I'd love to tell you all about it! Hahahahaha!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,507,289 times
I trust it's not the religion of the absolutely interpretable broken hearted. The fourth person; is he or isn't He decided at being a politician?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,133,416 times
I was very much involved in my church until I was in my 30's, whereupon I realized it was an abusive institution that was more concerned about control than it was about spirituality. I've since encountered people from many religious backgrounds and have developed a personal theology that works for me. I have nothing against organized religion, I just got tired of the politics and pettiness of some of the people and clergy involved and decided to leave the church. I think I live an ethical life and I don't need an institution/tribe to draw chauvinistic religious boundaries for me.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am an atheist, but I understand how an intelligent person could look at this beautiful world around us and believe that a divine force has created it.

Once you believe in a divine force, or a god, why do you feel restrained to accept an existing religion?

Couldn't you just form your own theology? You may choose to believe in a single god or multiple gods like the Hundus. You could believe your god wants you to behave in a certain manner, or you could believe that your god created you as you are and doesn't care what you do.

It seems that developing your own theology would be a rewarding and enjoyable life-long journey, and much more interesting than just memorizing large parts of a bible or a Quran.

Have any of you developed your own religion?
Well, I consider myself a godless heathen, however, I do have beliefs - or I should say I *did* have beliefs. Often I would say I was a Hinduhddist since reincarnation was high on the list.

However, since the recent passing of my mother, my former-held beliefs have been somewhat shattered. I asked her to give me a sign, and now, two weeks later (to the day), no sign has yet manifested. I know that if she could, she would give me a sign and so the absence of such a confirmation has greatly put my beliefs in serious doubt in my mind.

Perhaps it was just wishful thinking. It just seems so odd that nature would take the time and make the effort to create and grow us only to have us die away into total and permanent oblivion.

And still I wait, hopeful that something will come through and prove to me that there is more than this mortal coil.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality