Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:10 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times

Advertisements

I dealt,poorly, but tried to deal w/, non-the-less w/, the aftermath of my abortion when I was 19 years old. For four years I tried to cope on my own. God knew how sorry I was and how utterly devastated and repented I was. I had confessed to God on numerous occasions.

However, it was only after confessing to a priest (four years later) that I had a "supernatural" experience. I remember making an appointment w/ a priest I didn't know because I had a lot of guilt and shame.

So...here I am talking to this priest and talking about my situation which led to the abortion "decision" for about 20 minutes......well, after he absolves me, I break down sobbing.....I mean uncontrollably sobbing....and I'm a little embarrassed....he says "don't worry.....those are tears of joy....all of heaven is rejoicing because you have been lost....but now you are found." God has forgiven you long ago.....it is now time for you to forgive yourself.

It's funny because he also told me God would use my abortion to His glory. He said he fought in Vietnam and could explain to people what it was like to be in Vietnam....but, only the people who were there would really know what it's like....He said "you've experienced an abortion, others might think they know what an abortion might be like....but, you had expereinced this and God could use your expereince (a big sin) to help other women."

I was thinking "What?....is this guy nuts?"....no one is EVER going to know about this horrible thing that I've done (humungous skeleton in my closet)....well, a few years later I started a local chapter of Feminists for Lif which received national attention via news, started counseling in a pro-life crisis pregnancy center.... and years later actually worked for the Catholic Bishops in their legislative office in downtown DC........

God truly works in mysterious ways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
I would love to say I have a sin that I don't want anyone to know about but in all honesty I always tell everyone everything, so they are all out there somewhere. I may not be proud of everything I've ever done, but I do own them and I never hold onto regret because anything I've ever done good or bad has been a lesson, so as long as I learn from it I figure it was worth it.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:40 PM

668 posts, read 682,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I dealt,poorly, but tried to deal w/, non-the-less w/, the aftermath of my abortion when I was 19 years old. For four years I tried to cope on my own. God knew how sorry I was and how utterly devastated and repented I was. I had confessed to God on numerous occasions.

However, it was only after confessing to a priest (four years later) that I had a "supernatural" experience. I remember making an appointment w/ a priest I didn't know because I had a lot of guilt and shame.

So...here I am talking to this priest and talking about my situation which led to the abortion "decision" for about 20 minutes......well, after he absolves me, I break down sobbing.....I mean uncontrollably sobbing....and I'm a little embarrassed....he says "don't worry.....those are tears of joy....all of heaven is rejoicing because you have been lost....but now you are found." God has forgiven you long ago.....it is now time for you to forgive yourself.

It's funny because he also told me God would use my abortion to His glory. He said he fought in Vietnam and could explain to people what it was like to be in Vietnam....but, only the people who were there would really know what it's like....He said "you've experienced an abortion, others might think they know what an abortion might be like....but, you had expereinced this and God could use your expereince (a big sin) to help other women."

I was thinking "What?....is this guy nuts?"....no one is EVER going to know about this horrible thing that I've done (humungous skeleton in my closet)....well, a few years later I started a local chapter of Feminists for Lif which received national attention via news, started counseling in a pro-life crisis pregnancy center.... and years later actually worked for the Catholic Bishops in their legislative office in downtown DC........

God truly works in mysterious ways....

So you overcame the sin you felt you commited by helping others in simular situations. Beautiful! Way to go Beth Ann.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:50 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
So you overcame the sin you felt you commited by helping others in simular situations. Beautiful! Way to go Beth Ann.
Yes. After experiencing the forgiveness of sin through the sacrament of confession, I had the stamina and courage to reach out and help others either contemplating abortion, or helping women who were suffering from the aftermath of abortion.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:22 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
HA - like I'm going to share that on here, LOL. I'd tell you, Hoosier (and others in "private"), but certainly not the whole message board! Let's just say, I've done plenty of sinning in my 30 years on earth... Oh, but I do love the story you posted, and the message it is sending.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,035 times
No way am I telling!!!! God knows and I wish he didn't. Have you ever thought
about the sins you have committed after you were saved? I believe God forgives but I also think we will be judged of those. What do the rest of you think?

Old 07-22-2007, 03:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
Have you ever thought about the sins you have committed after you were saved? I believe God forgives but I also think we will be judged of those.
If that's the case we're all in very serious trouble

Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,010 times
My sins, in the past, I have asked forgivness for.

My concern is the sins I keep repeating, and asking forgiveness for.

I am concerned about my salvation because I heard a sermon about true repentance in the car . . . and it hit me, that I have not truly repented, as I keep repeating these sins again and again.

First, I grew up in a large Itialian family in Brooklyn NY mostly. Our family and extended family used very bad language and I grew up hearing it and thought nothing of saying them until I got into the world and realized, other people didn't talk like this.

Expressions were G_d Dammit, Jesus Christ!!, and there were other cursing, but my concern now is taking the Lord's name in vain. Like when I drop something I tend to use the G_d Dammit one alot . . . or just say . . Jesus, could this grocery line move any slower??

Also, I used an abundant more of curse words and I am trying to get a handle on my mouth.

Besides cursing, I also use my mouth when my patience is at a low end, and say some hurtful things, or just yell . . . and I am trying to correct this to, but have not been that successful.

I also feel like I do not take care of my body the way I should be continuing to be a "closet smoker", even though my family catches me all the time.

I don't worry about past sins, or sins that I got a handle on like gossip, just the sins I struggle with today.

I even consider not keeping the house in order to be a sin, as far as what the bible says a Virtuous Woman should be.

Frankly, I use that as my guidelines and fail miserably.

One thing though, even though my husband is agnostic, since becoming a Christian, I have noticed that from reading Proverbs about what a good wife should be, I have changed my ways alot, and it seems that the marriage has much less confllict, and he has noticed the change in me and when he compliments me I tell him . . . the changes are from asking Jesus to come into my life . . . I cannot be who I am or what I am without him, if I didn't have him in my life, I would fall back to my old ways and sinning, which is not something I want to post or talk about.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
No way am I telling!!!! God knows and I wish he didn't. Have you ever thought
about the sins you have committed after you were saved? I believe God forgives but I also think we will be judged of those. What do the rest of you think?
I think it's a matter of our reward in heaven...but definately not one of salvation!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Lifesigns, you are one great testifier God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality