Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Au contraire, but I do.
You're being dishonest. The evidence against God may be overwhelming, in your opinion. But, you cannot be 100% sure. No one can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
If he comes back, get ready for the ever-so-predictable "I must have really hit a nerve to get these sort of responses. That must mean something!" post, implying the we know he's right deep down inside, but just want to deny the truth for some diabolical reason.
LOL@hit a nerve.

It seems that some can twist anything to their own reasoning.

Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,689 times
But it is 100% there is for the sensibly percipient; fact and opinion. My opinion might be wrong, but facts I come across I can never be wrong about. A good one could be: could someone come onto God's factual existence before he is raised to believe thus? But that's neither religion nor philosophy, more superstition.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're being dishonest. The evidence against God may be overwhelming, in your opinion. But, you cannot be 100% sure. No one can.
With 100% certainty friend. You say that because from your extreme level of belief you cannot even fathom not believing, much less completely dismissing the concepts of gods, it is just beyond anything you can imagine.

But to be fair, the levels of belief I see in these forums, are as equally beyond anything I can wrap my head around. I often feel like, these people can't be serious, I must have entered into a forum dedicated to role playing, but instead of Dungeons and Dragons, it Deities and Devils.

What percentage of certainty do you give to the existence of the god you believe in?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
With 100% certainty friend. You say that because from your extreme level of belief you cannot even fathom not believing, much less completely dismissing the concepts of gods, it is just beyond anything you can imagine.

But to be fair, the levels of belief I see in these forums, are as equally beyond anything I can wrap my head around. I often feel like, these people can't be serious, I must have entered into a forum dedicated to role playing, but instead of Dungeons and Dragons, it Deities and Devils.

What percentage of certainty do you give to the existence of the god you believe in?
I believe by faith. Faith is not real if there isn't a bit of doubt.

You may have no doubts. As I've matured spiritually, my level of doubt has decreased. I've seen too much evidence of God's hand in my life & the lives of my family & friends to have any serious doubts.

I understand your POV better now.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Reason, fictional characters are powerless to control anything except for the mind of those that don't know they are fictional.
LOL, wouldn't let me rep ya on this, but, it was one damn good post, thanks!!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
Quote:
I've seen too much evidence of God's hand in my life & the lives of my family & friends to have any serious doubts.
That's very interesting, Jimmie.

Most people have absolutely no doubts about their religious views. This seems to be true for Muslims, atheists, Christians, or Jews.

So you don't have any serious doubts, but that implies you have some minor doubts. Could you please share them with us?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
I'm glad you got this far. This is really the nub of the matter. How much evidence do you need before you accept a belief? Where is the stage at which one in simply clinging to the smallest percentage of doubt in order to maintain a treasured belief?

Time and again, I have come up against those who see it simply as a 'believe or not' question. The weight of evidence should be the only valid factor in the argument. In fact, maintaining Faith in the face of overwhelming evidence against turns out to be, time and again, the only real factor.

This is why atheists talk of 'blind faith' and they are right to do so.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,788 times
Quote:
Again, which God? I'll bet you're pretty sure that Odin doesn't exist, no? You can't be 100% sure of anything, true but you can use logic and reason to weed out the absurdities.

Tell me, which one of these two statements seems more likely to be true?

1) There are pink polka dotted elephants on mars who communicate telepathically with humans on Earth.

2) There is microscopic bacteria living in the frigid water under the ice on Europa.

Your biblical god (and Odin) is akin to #1. Yes, there may be a "God" or creator out there but if so it is a far more reasonable, intelligent and rational being than Bible god. Such a being will simply NOT be the anthropomorphic, jealous, angry child who hears prayers, gives commandments, cares what you do on Sundays, what you eat or who you marry/have sex with and who cleans up its messes by sending its "son" to die in primitive blood sacrifices. Sorry!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How do you explain how the earth and the universe was created in the first place? If there was nothing before the universe and space, then how would have something been created if there was nothing? Something can't come out of nothing. It's virtually impossible. There has to be something or someone who created this and us.

Who created God? Where did God come from?
Just because we do not have all the answers should not equate to there being a necessity for a higher power. It just means we don't have all the answers. God, or a higher power, is based upon faith. Not evidence, not theory. Just faith. You are asking atheists to answer questions that religious folks don't bother to answer. Faith is not an answer to a question. It is a way to avoid accepting that a question exists in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality