Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
How do you explain how the earth and the universe was created in the first place? If there was nothing before the universe and space, then how would have something been created if there was nothing? Something can't come out of nothing. It's virtually impossible. There has to be something or someone who created this and us.

Who created God? Where did God come from?
You remind me of bill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPDh0O9YJ0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm glad you got this far. This is really the nub of the matter. How much evidence do you need before you accept a belief? Where is the stage at which one in simply clinging to the smallest percentage of doubt in order to maintain a treasured belief?

Time and again, I have come up against those who see it simply as a 'believe or not' question. The weight of evidence should be the only valid factor in the argument. In fact, maintaining Faith in the face of overwhelming evidence against turns out to be, time and again, the only real factor.

This is why atheists talk of 'blind faith' and they are right to do so.
Faith in God is not blind.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Again, which God? I'll bet you're pretty sure that Odin doesn't exist, no? You can't be 100% sure of anything, true but you can use logic and reason to weed out the absurdities.
Thank you for being honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Tell me, which one of these two statements seems more likely to be true?

1) There are pink polka dotted elephants on mars who communicate telepathically with humans on Earth.

2) There is microscopic bacteria living in the frigid water under the ice on Europa.

Your biblical god (and Odin) is akin to #1. Yes, there may be a "God" or creator out there but if so it is a far more reasonable, intelligent and rational being than Bible god. Such a being will simply NOT be the anthropomorphic, jealous, angry child who hears prayers, gives commandments, cares what you do on Sundays, what you eat or who you marry/have sex with and who cleans up its messes by sending its "son" to die in primitive blood sacrifices. Sorry!
Why not?

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 02-08-2011 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Faith in God is not blind.
So there is evidence for god?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit
Again, which God? I'll bet you're pretty sure that Odin doesn't exist, no? You can't be 100% sure of anything, true but you can use logic and reason to weed out the absurdities.

Thank you for being honest.

Tell me, which one of these two statements seems more likely to be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit
1) There are pink polka dotted elephants on mars who communicate telepathically with humans on Earth.

2) There is microscopic bacteria living in the frigid water under the ice on Europa.

Your biblical god (and Odin) is akin to #1. Yes, there may be a "God" or creator out there but if so it is a far more reasonable, intelligent and rational being than Bible god. Such a being will simply NOT be the anthropomorphic, jealous, angry child who hears prayers, gives commandments, cares what you do on Sundays, what you eat or who you marry/have sex with and who cleans up its messes by sending its "son" to die in primitive blood sacrifices. Sorry!

Why not?

Because that "God" is the invention of Man. Believe in a god if you must, but to believe that this god cares about the silly things that bible god does is well, silly.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So there is evidence for god?
Sure. As I said in an earlier post, I've seen evidence of God in my own life & in the lives of friends & family members.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Because that "God" is the invention of Man. Believe in a god if you must, but to believe that this god cares about the silly things that bible god does is well, silly.
That is your opinion, not necessarily a fact.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That's very interesting, Jimmie.

Most people have absolutely no doubts about their religious views. This seems to be true for Muslims, atheists, Christians, or Jews.
I have no doubts about my religious views. However, when I first became a Christian, I had serious doubts about my salvation. Salvation by faith alone seemed illogical. I felt like I needed to earn my salvation, & that I was unable to live up to God's standard. Over time & through much prayer & Bible study, I realized my salvation is all about what Jesus did for me, & nothing about what I could do for Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
So you don't have any serious doubts, but that implies you have some minor doubts. Could you please share them with us?
Like King David, I sometimes do not feel God's presence in my life. I have certain expectations of God, & many times His plan for me does not match my plan for me.

Thankfully, as the book of Hebrews tells us, Jesus understands & sympathizes with our weaknesses.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Sure. As I said in an earlier post, I've seen evidence of God in my own life & in the lives of friends & family members.
Actually you haven't. You may have seen and experienced things that you have attributed to God, but you have absolutely no way of knowing if you are correct in that attribution. Again, faith is not evidence. Assumption is not fact.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
I have no doubts about my religious views. However, when I first became a Christian, I had serious doubts about my salvation. Salvation by faith alone seemed illogical. I felt like I needed to earn my salvation, & that I was unable to live up to God's standard. Over time & through much prayer & Bible study, I realized my salvation is all about what Jesus did for me, & nothing about what I could do for Him.

Like King David, I sometimes do not feel God's presence in my life. I have certain expectations of God, & many times His plan for me does not match my plan for me.

Thankfully, as the book of Hebrews tells us, Jesus understands & sympathizes with our weaknesses.
Jimmie, that is a very clear statement of your religious views and you answered my question perfectly.

The famous English poet John Milton was concerned he could not serve god fully because he was going blind, but he came to the same realization as you have and wrote the poem "On His Blindness". I read it in high school and always liked it.

318. On His Blindness. John Milton. The Oxford Book of English Verse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality