Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Mom, that was a very informative post. Many of us who are not Jewish had no idea of the difference between a Jewish Satan and a Christian Devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
when you mention the word "Christianity", Jews get bent out of shape and start waving their finger that you betrayed your religion.
That reminds me of how some fundamentalist Christians feel about the Mormons.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I understand they do, but surely you understand where the feelings are coming from? Most of the problems Jews have had have come from Christians. The other religions like Buddism don't have the same history with how they treated Jews. I know Jewish atheists and agnostics families in my chavurah, they still practice the cultural side of Judaism. They still consider themselves Jews.

There is a long and troubled history between Jews and Christians. There is also the belief in Christianity that they need to prosletyse and bring people to Christian belief.
Yes, I surely do understand where the feelings are coming from. I was discriminated by anti-semitic Christians myself as a child, however, the religion (that teaches to love thy neighbor as you love yourself) is not to blame for atrocities that people have committed.

I also know plenty of Jewish atheists and agnostics who practice cultural side of Judaism, however, as you know works without faith is practically useless. As a Messianic Jew, I also still practice many of the traditional Jewish Holidays, probably a lot more than most of the Jewish atheists and yet, mention the word "Christ" and somehow you are less of a Jew than the one who denies G-d completely.

I do understand the resentful feeling of people who practice Judaism towards those Christians who constantly proselytize, especially when it comes to children.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 AM

Mom2JustinSarah,
Thank you so much for your explanation, it was very interesting. However, this belief is pretty much identical to what Hebrew Christians believe.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
[quote=max's mama;17905438]Yes, I surely do understand where the feelings are coming from. I was discriminated by anti-semitic Christians myself as a child, however, the religion (that teaches to love thy neighbor as you love yourself) is not to blame for atrocities that people have committed.

I will differ on that I think Christianity is to blame and the anti semitic atrocities can be traced back to the church leaders who accused Jews of deicide and blood libel.

I also know plenty of Jewish atheists and agnostics who practice cultural side of Judaism, however, as you know works without faith is practically useless. As a Messianic Jew, I also still practice many of the traditional Jewish Holidays, probably a lot more than most of the Jewish atheists and yet, mention the word "Christ" and somehow you are less of a Jew than the one who denies G-d completely.

One can be a secular Jew and a religious Jew because we are part of a religon and part of a people. I don't see a problem.

I do understand the resentful feeling of people who practice Judaism towards those Christians who constantly proselytize, especially when it comes to children.

It is the belief that Christians need to prosletyse that makes us wary of Christians. In my hebrew class my teacher was telling us that they had a Christian who was taking the class and then handing out Christian pamplets out in the parking lot after class. That is why there is mistrust. My shul opens all its Hebrew classes to both Jew and non Jew. But it is not right to try to convert Jews.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yes,they are known as Messianic Jews who believe in Jesus Christ.
But most Jews do not recognize them as Jewish. I explored Judaism for awhile and I was cautioned to not "be fooled" by Messianic Jews. Since Judaism is so much more than just a religion I don't think that a Jew who converts to Christianity is ever not going to consider themselves "Jewish" but their religion would no longer be Judaism.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Let me stop you right there. As a Jew, I don't care what Christianity teaches.

See above.
Then you shouldn't have bothered to mention your misperception of what Christianity teaches in the first place.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes, I surely do understand where the feelings are coming from. I was discriminated by anti-semitic Christians myself as a child, however, the religion (that teaches to love thy neighbor as you love yourself) is not to blame for atrocities that people have committed.

Right, you are still culturally Jewish but once you decide to believe in Jesus you are a Christian.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
IN SHORT... For Jews, anything that even remotely conflicts with the idea that God is One and Indivisible will be rejected because it precludes true, pure, monotheism. The idea that there is a God in heaven above who fights against a god of the underworld, or hell, is not monotheism, however, it is the same duality found in other pagan faiths. The Bible speaks of a character known as The Satan, who acts like a prosecuting attorney, or a district attorney, in God's court. However, The Satan has no power or authority in and of himself, rather he must get permission from the Judge, God, to do anything.
A Jewish friend once described The Satan to me as providing a similar function to the character Slugworth in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. LOL.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Right, you are still culturally Jewish but once you decide to believe in Jesus you are a Christian.
Well, duh...rocket scientist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality