U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM
 
Location: North Texas
22,129 posts, read 28,180,084 times
Reputation: 23646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Obviously you are not looking for a conversation, but an argument and a chance to slur others. Glad I could be there to help you exercise your inner nastiness today. Have a good one.
Nice attempt to put words in my mouth, but you're wrong about my intentions for posting here. Not that it matters to you since you earnestly believe that you're right.

Believe what you want, I don't care. I won't lose any sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Oxford, Connecticut
522 posts, read 792,799 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are no half Jews. There are Jews and non Jews.

If you are of Jewish ancestry but not Jewish then you are a gentile with Jewish ancestry.

If your mom was a Jew you are a Jew with Jewish ancestry.

I hate the term half Jew and I have seen it used by Jews who see themselves as better because both their parents are Jewish.

It is often used as a put down towards Jews who have on gentile parent and one Jewish parent.

I cringe everytime I hear the word.

Hmmm so I guess you wouldn't approve when I refer to my children as pizza bagels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,483 posts, read 9,624,498 times
Reputation: 2239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
There are no half Jews. There are Jews and non Jews.

If you are of Jewish ancestry but not Jewish then you are a gentile with Jewish ancestry.

If your mom was a Jew you are a Jew with Jewish ancestry.

I hate the term half Jew and I have seen it used by Jews who see themselves as better because both their parents are Jewish.

It is often used as a put down towards Jews who have on gentile parent and one Jewish parent.

I cringe everytime I hear the word.
In places like NYC with large Jewish populations, where one could be very solidly tribally Jewish without any synagogue affiliation, people tended to ignore halachic definitions. One could be half jewish the same way one could be half italian, or half irish, or whatever. It was not particularly a put down, and IIRC was sometimes used by individuals to refer to themselves. No more of a put down than, say "half elvish"

As that kind of tribal Jewishness apart from religion declines in the United States, the usage becomes archaic.

Its still worth noting, if only to point out the difference between the folk sense of Jewish identity and the rabbinic definitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,452,302 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Mom, that was a very informative post. Many of us who are not Jewish had no idea of the difference between a Jewish Satan and a Christian Devil.
Thank you..I am Jewish. But until I did some research, I had no idea either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,452,302 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Mom2JustinSarah,
Thank you so much for your explanation, it was very interesting. However, this belief is pretty much identical to what Hebrew Christians believe.
Don't shoot the messenger...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,452,302 times
Reputation: 1412
I took down this original post as I didn't realize we couldn't use copyrighted material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: S. Florida
1,100 posts, read 2,452,302 times
Reputation: 1412
Sorry took down the original post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
 
1,461 posts, read 1,127,450 times
Reputation: 790
People who claim to be Jews yet accept Jesus as the Messiah are not Jews. They reject the oral and written law, they accept the New Test.

Jews still wait for the Messiah to come.

They are rightly considered outcasts. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,037,282 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
People who claim to be Jews yet accept Jesus as the Messiah are not Jews. They reject the oral and written law, they accept the New Test.

Jews still wait for the Messiah to come.

They are rightly considered outcasts. You can't have it both ways.

You are not correct. You cannot lose your Jewishness. It is inherited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,037,282 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
In places like NYC with large Jewish populations, where one could be very solidly tribally Jewish without any synagogue affiliation, people tended to ignore halachic definitions. One could be half jewish the same way one could be half italian, or half irish, or whatever. It was not particularly a put down, and IIRC was sometimes used by individuals to refer to themselves. No more of a put down than, say "half elvish"

As that kind of tribal Jewishness apart from religion declines in the United States, the usage becomes archaic.

Its still worth noting, if only to point out the difference between the folk sense of Jewish identity and the rabbinic definitions.

True, It bothers me when I hear Jews use it to label other Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top