U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM

4,083 posts, read 4,033,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laulob View Post
Hmmm so I guess you wouldn't approve when I refer to my children as pizza bagels

lol, that is rather cute so I approve!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,245,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables."

John, 2:15
Ah the famous part of the Gospel that people like to bring up. So what? The Temple, The Jewish Temple, the House of G-d was filled with people and things that are not supposed to be there. This was a righteous anger, hardly classified as violence.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM

43,979 posts, read 44,110,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nice attempt to put words in my mouth, but you're wrong about my intentions for posting here. Not that it matters to you since you earnestly believe that you're right.

Believe what you want, I don't care. I won't lose any sleep over it.
I earnestly believe that I'm right about...What exactly?

The only post I responded to of yours was the one where you stated that Christians believe they can do whatever they want and then as long as they say they believe in Christ they are "Square with God". I said that isn't true. It isn't. (The only case I can remember where somebody actually said something like that was that woman in Texas whose boyfriend told her if she murdered her husband and then asked God to forgive her afterward she'd have a ticket into the pearly gates.)

That was the extent of our conversation. I really don't get why you are being so nasty about it.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Can we all be civil so this thread does not get shut down......Please......

Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM

22,076 posts, read 28,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I don't think I'm being nasty at all...quite the opposite, people are piling onto me...but I'll refrain from posting further.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't think I'm being nasty at all...quite the opposite, people are piling onto me...but I'll refrain from posting further.

I was not refering to you, just making a comment.

this is what I said:

Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM

15,895 posts, read 11,662,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What if a bona-fide Jew decides to believe in Jesus. In other words, he accepts all of the Christian teachings about Jesus.

Does that mean he loses his claim to be Jewish?

Is there anything is Jewish theology that prohibits him from believing in Jesus?
I didn't read this entire thread, but I would hope someone correctly pointed out that Jews or being Jewish is a matter of ethnicity.

That is to say, Jews are an ethnic group, but Judaism is a religion.

And yes you can be Jewish and christian, Jewish and Muslim, Jewish and Zoroastrian or Jewish and Hindu. You can even be Jewish and an atheist (and many are).

As incredible as it might sound, there are many Muslim Jews living in Israel. There are also Muslim and christian Jews living in Iran, and of course as you would expect there are Jewish Jews living in Iran as well.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM

43,979 posts, read 44,110,272 times
I suppose that in the days of forced conversions, a Jew could have also been a Christian, although he or she technically wouldn't really be Christian, since they were just putting up a front for survival purposes.

A story that always fascinated me was one I was told by a Jewish woman on an interreligious forum where I used to participate. She was running late to pick up her kid from the Catholic babysitter one Friday night, and when she got there the babysitter had the cabinet door open underneath her kitchen sink and was lighting candles. She asked her what she was doing, and the woman told her that her mother taught her to do that on Friday nights and to say prayers, and that her grandmother had told her mother, etc. The Jewish woman advised her to look into her family history to see if there was any evidence of ancestors who might have been forced to convert to Catholicism. The woman did, and sure enough, part of her family had originally been Jewish. The woman remained Catholic, but her adult daughter looked into the Judaism of her roots and eventually became Orthodox.

I have also heard similar stories of the crypto-Jews of Mexico and the Southwest, where Catholic families of Spanish descent often had odd habits like turning a picture of Jesus to the wall on Friday and Saturday, not eating pork, etc. They really didn't know why until it became evident that this was old fallout from the Inquisition. Some of them have reverted to their Jewish roots, saying that it resonated with them more than Christianity ever did.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,791,550 times
Jesus was the first Christian and totally Jewish. All of the New Testament was written by Jews. Christianity is the completeness of the Jew as God promised. It is written, "They are the tree and we Gentiles have been grafted in to them" and not the other way. " and it is written, "One is not a Jew because of only lineage in the eyes of God, but a Jew is one who has recieved His New Covenant."

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Jesus was the first Christian and totally Jewish. All of the New Testament was written by Jews. Christianity is the completeness of the Jew as God promised. It is written, "They are the tree and we Gentiles have been grafted in to them" and not the other way. " and it is written, "One is not a Jew because of only lineage in the eyes of God, but a Jew is one who has recieved His New Covenant."
Jesus was a Jew, he was NOT the first Christian, he had no idea a new religion would be started after his death.

Christianity is paulinity...........

One is a Jew through the covenant given at Mt Sinai.

You are a Jew through birth or conversion.

Christians are NOT Jews through any covenant.....

Christians worship G-d but they are not Jews, they are gentiles.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality