U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,036,235 times
Reputation: 804

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
okay. But chabad does try to make Reform and Conservative Jews into Orthodox (or even particularly Chabad) Jews.

that's not "conversion" technically. It DOES presume the prior choices those jews have made is wrong, though.

The local Chabad is actually not pushy and they have lots of fun kids activities.

But I do know we are lucky I think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,483 posts, read 9,622,359 times
Reputation: 2239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The local Chabad is actually not pushy and they have lots of fun kids activities.

So is mine. If you think they are doing that only cause they think its worthwhile to have every kid learn to sing "im a jew and im proud" you are mistaken.

yes, they do like it when someone performs one more mitzvah. But when they invest in shalichim, they are most certainly expecting to get baal tshuvahs (preferably chabad baal tshuvahs) as pay back.

theres a yiddish saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,036,235 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So is mine. If you think they are doing that only cause they think its worthwhile to have every kid learn to sing "im a jew and im proud" you are mistaken.

yes, they do like it when someone performs one more mitzvah. But when they invest in shalichim, they are most certainly expecting to get baal tshuvahs (preferably chabad baal tshuvahs) as pay back.

theres a yiddish saying "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"

Yes I know that. But we have a community we are active in and a practice of Judaism that works for us.

So I think my kids will be balanced yet see the different streams of Judaism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
 
44,137 posts, read 44,179,159 times
Reputation: 46410
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Do you also believe it is an affront to God to try to lure anyone - Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc - away from his or her religion?
Yes, I do. The specific conversation in my church about Jews came up a number of years ago as a result of one particular branch of Christianity's public statement that they were focusing their efforts on the conversion of Jews.

As far as anyone else's spiritual life or absence thereof, it is their personal business how they got to where they are, just as it is my personal business as to why I am Christian.

Those who wish to tell me how wrong and unChristian I am for thinking that way by posting several yards of scripture may spare themselves the fingertip skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,483 posts, read 9,622,359 times
Reputation: 2239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Yes I know that. But we have a community we are active in and a practice of Judaism that works for us.

So I think my kids will be balanced yet see the different streams of Judaism.

I am not questioning your lifestyle or your choices (which are not terribly dissimilar from my own). I am wondering why you find christian proselytizing not just annoying in practice, but worthy of anger in principle - while not feeling the same way about Chabad, which is similar in that it denies the validity of the prior choice?

I go to Chabad now and then (I have friends there, I like both our local shlichim, and they make some really nice food) . I understand their motives for proselytizing. I avoid christian proselytizers, who do not offer me the benefits that chabad does, and present a greater risk to my family. However I also understand why they feel a need to proselytize. I may be delighted when they do not proselytize, annoyed at many of their methods - but I am not angered that Christianity (and Islam) sees itself as proselytizing religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,483 posts, read 9,622,359 times
Reputation: 2239
BTW, I forgot you are in NoVa, so the "nice chabad rabbis" you and I are thinking of are probably the same two individuals (assuming you have met both of the current shlichim - sorry about the third, Zichron levracha)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,752 posts, read 5,639,531 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
No.

However, it is possible to be a Jew and a Buddhist at the same time.
Then it must be possible to be a Jew and a Muslim at the same time too being that in Islam Abraham is regarded as the first Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,036,235 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
BTW, I forgot you are in NoVa, so the "nice chabad rabbis" you and I are thinking of are probably the same two individuals (assuming you have met both of the current shlichim - sorry about the third, Zichron levracha)
I have only met one of them and he is in Herndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,483 posts, read 9,622,359 times
Reputation: 2239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have only met one of them and he is in Herndon.

oh, then, no overlap, I only know the ones in Alex and in Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 PM
 
4,083 posts, read 4,036,235 times
Reputation: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am not questioning your lifestyle or your choices (which are not terribly dissimilar from my own). I am wondering why you find christian proselytizing not just annoying in practice, but worthy of anger in principle - while not feeling the same way about Chabad, which is similar in that it denies the validity of the prior choice?

I go to Chabad now and then (I have friends there, I like both our local shlichim, and they make some really nice food) . I understand their motives for proselytizing. I avoid christian proselytizers, who do not offer me the benefits that chabad does, and present a greater risk to my family. However I also understand why they feel a need to proselytize. I may be delighted when they do not proselytize, annoyed at many of their methods - but I am not angered that Christianity (and Islam) sees itself as proselytizing religion.

Fair question... I actually didn't feel that way until I came to these forums. I suppose I don't feel the same angst about Chabad because they are just interested in Jews. They don't prosletyse to non Jews.

My whole issue is prosletysing to folks who are of a different religion.

I have absolutely been floored by some of the discussions and attitudes of some of the Christians here.

So maybe I ought to think about why it makes me mad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top