U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-15-2011, 07:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,522,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What if a bona-fide Jew decides to believe in Jesus. In other words, he accepts all of the Christian teachings about Jesus.

Does that mean he loses his claim to be Jewish?

Is there anything is Jewish theology that prohibits him from believing in Jesus?
A short version as to what Jews believe in:

One Person cannot die for the sins of another.

A blood sacrifice is not required for forgiveness of sins.

Jesus was not the messiah.

God hates human sacrifices.

People are born pure and without original sin.

God is one and indivisible.

Jews believe in The Satan, but not The Devil.

God does not become human and humans do not become God.

"Jews for Jesus," "Messianic Jews," and "Hebrew Christians" are not Jews.

There are no Jewish Roots to Christianity, because the theology that supports it is antithetical to what the Bible says, and is diametrically opposite of what Judaism believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 07:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,419,962 times
"Jews believe in The Satan, but not The Devil."

But they eat french fries with the Christians. ANd now I see that the Mob can make sense by taking revenge on other Mob.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

8,479 posts, read 5,462,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post

"Jews for Jesus," "Messianic Jews," and "Hebrew Christians" are not Jews.

There are no Jewish Roots to Christianity, because the theology that supports it is antithetical to what the Bible says, and is diametrically opposite of what Judaism believes.
I would quibble with the last two.

members of those 3 groups who are actual born Jews, are still Jews, though apostates.

"roots" is vague. I could argue there are Christian roots to Marxism (I think in fact there are) or that fascist politics and Hollywood film music have common roots (they do - 19th c romanticism). A think can, at one level, be rooted, in something it ultimately negates.

Does no one read Hegel anymore?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
"Jews believe in The Satan, but not The Devil."

But they eat french fries with the Christians. .
Only if A. they are not observant Jews or B. The christians are willing to join them at a kosher restaurant

BTW, theres lots of kosher places in NY that serve great fries.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,338,149 times
Quote:
Jews believe in The Satan, but not The Devil
You lost me here. Describe the difference.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 PM

9,444 posts, read 9,338,149 times
Quote:
"Jews for Jesus," "Messianic Jews," and "Hebrew Christians" are not Jews
That's incorrect. A Jew who is born of a Jewish mother will ALWAYS be a Jew regardless of religion.

Last edited by max's mama; 02-15-2011 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 PM

41 posts, read 14,344 times
I've heard Jews that have become Christians refer to themselves as "fulfilled Jews". There is an "Association of Hebrew Catholics". There is also a website that a group of Jewish Catholic Christians have put together to explain to other Jewish people how they can be both Jewish and Catholic. It is www.israelcatholic.org. Pretty interesting. I also saw a show once on TV about a Jewish woman who became a Catholic and she said "You can't be more Jewish than to be Catholic". They don't see Catholism as a separate religion, only the fulfillment of Judaism.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM

3,654 posts, read 1,480,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
That was a very good post, Mom.

I have been raised in a Christian society and I have Jewish friends and I have read "Jews, God, and History" twice, so I think I somewhat understand both religions even though I am an atheist.

I also get the impression that Christian and Jewish beliefs are very different, just like you pointed out. I think Christianity was tailored to appeal to the Greeks in the years after Jesus died. The Romans had conquered them and stolen their gods, so the Greeks were open to a new religion.

Of all the reasons you gave, I think the Christian belief of "original sin" stood out the most. Believing that Jesus is the Messiah is one thing, but to me it seems even harder to believe that babies are born with sin in their little hearts. I would suspect that a Jew could not accept that belief of "original sin" and stay true to Judaism, so I think you answered my original post very well.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
That's incorrect. A Jew who is born of a Jewish mother will ALWAYS be a Jew regardless of religion.

according to rabbinic halacha, which "hebrew christians" reject. Ironic, eh?

I would note that many or most lay Jews do not (either explicitly, or just in their gut) accept the Jewish status of converts to another religion, or of most Communists. See the Brother Daniel case.

Oswald Rufeisen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,522,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You lost me here. Describe the difference.
IN SHORT... For Jews, anything that even remotely conflicts with the idea that God is One and Indivisible will be rejected because it precludes true, pure, monotheism. The idea that there is a God in heaven above who fights against a god of the underworld, or hell, is not monotheism, however, it is the same duality found in other pagan faiths. The Bible speaks of a character known as The Satan, who acts like a prosecuting attorney, or a district attorney, in God's court. However, The Satan has no power or authority in and of himself, rather he must get permission from the Judge, God, to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality