Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,546,598 times

Advertisements

God wanted that relationship with us so He sent his son Jesus to help to bridge that gap so we can have that relationship with Him.

Judaism teaches that we have that relationship through our personal repentance on Yom Kippur, and through our efforts to live by Torah.

The jewish thinker who took probably the most positive view of Jesus was Franz Rosenzweig, who saw Jesus as necessary for the gentiles. But he said (pardon if I get the quote wrong, this is from memory) "Jews do not need to go through the Son to get to the Father, they are already WITH the Father"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

88,471 posts, read 84,580,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Believing that Jesus was the Messiah is faaaaaaaaaaaar from the only difference between Judaism and Christianity, and it's kind of insulting to insinuate that it is.

In a nutshell, Judaism is a religion that emphasizes DOING rather than BELIEVING. Christianity seems to be the other way around, i.e. you can be the worst person on Earth but as long as you believe that Jesus was the Messiah, you're somehow square with G-d.

As a Jew I find that utterly bizarre.
LOL, that is funny when you say it that way, but your perception of Christianity isn't QUITE the way you describe it. Or rather, it's not supposed to be!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM

88,471 posts, read 84,580,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
God wanted that relationship with us so He sent his son Jesus to help to bridge that gap so we can have that relationship with Him.

Judaism teaches that we have that relationship through our personal repentance on Yom Kippur, and through our efforts to live by Torah.

The jewish thinker who took probably the most positive view of Jesus was Franz Rosenzweig, who saw Jesus as necessary for the gentiles. But he said (pardon if I get the quote wrong, this is from memory) "Jews do not need to go through the Son to get to the Father, they are already WITH the Father"
I tend to follow that line of thought, that Christ opened the door to draw non-Jews to God. My Christian denomination does not believe in converting/proselytizing to Jews (unless of course they decide they want to convert on their own). The Jews were set aside as God's people and given a set of laws to follow. In not accepting Jesus, they were following those laws, and there is no reason to believe that God's covenant with Abraham and his descendants and the law for the Jews as given to Moses was ever cancelled out. It is seen, by some, as an affront to God to try to lure a Jew away from his or her religion.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,887,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is seen, by some, as an affront to God to try to lure a Jew away from his or her religion.
Do you also believe it is an affront to God to try to lure anyone - Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc - away from his or her religion?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,036,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Do you also believe it is an affront to God to try to lure anyone - Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, etc - away from his or her religion?
It is an insult to try to lure anyone away from their religion.... It assumes there wrong in their belief and it needs to be changed.

Those of us who are not Christian have made a choice not to be Christain...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,887,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
It is an insult to try to lure anyone away from their religion.... It assumes there wrong in their belief and it needs to be changed.

Those of us who are not Christian have made a choice not to be Christain...
Jazzy, I can understand why Christians want to convert us, and I am not the least insulted when it happens to me.

A friend of mine chipped a tooth badly, so I drove him to the dentist and made him go inside. He got it fixed, and thanked me later.

Christians truly believe that our immortal souls are condemned to hell for eternity. They want to help us, just like I wanted to help my friend avoid more serious dental problems. I don't have any hard feelings toward them for wanting to help me.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Jazzy, I can understand why Christians want to convert us, and I am not the least insulted when it happens to me.

A friend of mine chipped a tooth badly, so I drove him to the dentist and made him go inside. He got it fixed, and thanked me later.

Christians truly believe that our immortal souls are condemned to hell for eternity. They want to help us, just like I wanted to help my friend avoid more serious dental problems. I don't have any hard feelings toward them for wanting to help me.

Then you are a better person then I am because it makes me angry...

I understand why they do too and I think that is what makes me angry...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Then you are a better person then I am because it makes me angry...

I understand why they do too and I think that is what makes me angry...

Jazz

Does Chabad make you angry?

Would you do kiruv (outreach) to secular/nonobservant Jews under any circumstances, in any fashion?

I would like to see more Jews become more Torah observant. I couldnt do that in an aggressive way, even I believed in such ways, which I do not. But any way I can - from trying to model my personal behavior, to arguing on a message board - I would consider doing.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Jazz

Does Chabad make you angry?

Would you do kiruv (outreach) to secular/nonobservant Jews under any circumstances, in any fashion?

I would like to see more Jews become more Torah observant. I couldnt do that in an aggressive way, even I believed in such ways, which I do not. But any way I can - from trying to model my personal behavior, to arguing on a message board - I would consider doing.
No Chabad doesn't make me angry, I actually take my kids to Chabad activities.

What makes me angry is trying to convert others to a different religion.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
No Chabad doesn't make me angry, I actually take my kids to Chabad activities.

What makes me angry is trying to convert others to a different religion.

okay. But chabad does try to make Reform and Conservative Jews into Orthodox (or even particularly Chabad) Jews.

that's not "conversion" technically. It DOES presume the prior choices those jews have made is wrong, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality