U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM

419 posts, read 369,167 times
Default Miracles

It strikes me as strange that some people believe God (along with saints and angels) performs miracles at random. Why would God use his power to save a statue of the virgin Mary from a bomb explosion when there are far more better things to save, like a child from a pedophile or an elder trapped in a burning home? (I've never heard of a person trapped in the middle of a house fire miraculously surviving without any burns.) Why would Christians want to believe that God and his heavenly crew are that superficial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,966,788 times
I don't think God performs miracles at random. Miracles happen for a reason. A lot of what is "good" is relative to the person and a situation that may seem in more need of a miracle to you may seem less in need of a miracle to another person. It's hard really to quantify how badly a miracle is needed and to know why they happen or why they don't when you are watching from the sidelines. Also, what may seem superficial to you may be profound to another person. For example, maybe the person at the store gives a customer a small compliment and that's no big deal to you. But maybe to that customer, it's the one thing that keeps them from committing suicide. You just never know.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM

104 posts, read 107,356 times
This scenario reminds me of the Book of Job - USCCB - NAB - Job 37.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
It strikes me as strange that some people believe God (along with saints and angels) performs miracles at random. Why would God use his power to save a statue of the virgin Mary from a bomb explosion when there are far more better things to save, like a child from a pedophile or an elder trapped in a burning home? (I've never heard of a person trapped in the middle of a house fire miraculously surviving without any burns.) Why would Christians want to believe that God and his heavenly crew are that superficial?
it seems to me that the only miracle of christianity is that anybody actually believes that stuff.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 PM

21,850 posts, read 9,719,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
it seems to me that the only miracle of christianity is that anybody actually believes that stuff.
No Dusty . . . the miracle is that belief in God has survived the worst possible marketing representatives conceivable with the worst possible marketing messages. This tenacity alone should be sufficient to establish the truth of God's existence.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:57 PM

594 posts, read 318,746 times
Miracles are frequenty manufactured, mentally manifested (near death example),given credence or imaged via religousity (like with Mariology a pagan ritual whereby the virgin Mary's image is aperitioned on a donut, tree or like here in Clearwater on the side of a bank window exposed to iron laced water from a sprinkler producing a silhouette of Mary. This building was actually then purchased by some Catholic sect where thousands travelled great distances to witness the aperition. I'm a ex Catholic (30yrs), yet a devote christian (evangelical) and out of charity refuse to mock these devotees ( The window was shot out by a kid with a rifle ) People of religousity generally are recognized by jewerly (crosses) extreme icon worship,intercessory prayer to the dead and a whole bunch of mediators. Jesus is usually in the mix with a little luck. The whole thing is madness like Islam,Buddism,and witchcraft. Jesus performed many miracles I believe as one of many examples of faith. Today miracles occur every day and whether or not they need to be substantiated is moot as long as they happened (often without witnesses ),but rather individual testimoninals. My son-in-law flipped his truck over a mountain ravene with a 600ft drop in NC. He rolled about 200 ft and the truck which would have crashed through a home at the bottom got hooked on a tree stump (the only one on the 70 degree pitch). Mark woke up outside the truck with his bible in his hand...true story. Miracle....sure ,but if not then it's not, but by faith it was my first reaction . I resuscitated a 3 yr old near drowning years ago and I believe he was very very near death as I was unable to get any vitals after many attempts at CPR the people in the home were screaming like banches and the para medics went to the wrong home. I screamed out to Jesus for help and immediately did abdominal desufflation (Heimlich) then resumed compressions mouth to mouth then suddenly I got a pulse,reactive pupils and a weak breath (he survived after two weeks on a vent in a controlled coma) Miracle.. oh yeah baby!!!!! Thank you Jesus!

Last edited by DASULAR17; 02-11-2011 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 PM

24,019 posts, read 16,655,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No Dusty . . . the miracle is that belief in God has survived the worst possible marketing representatives conceivable with the worst possible marketing messages. This tenacity alone should be sufficient to establish the truth of God's existence.
How so?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:46 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,574,763 times
I knew people who verged on thinking you could demand of God any kind of miracle, even one that's of little consequence or clear value, but I tend to look down on that. For one I don't like the idea of "demanding" things of God, like he's a genie in a bottle. For another I guess I do tend to think God has a reason to do things and it's not for your personal entertainment. So he's not a magic trick either.

A common atheist complaint I've heard is why God does this miracle rather than that miracle. Why cure someone's cancer and never regrow their leg being a common one. Granted my initial feeling on hearing that is "surely atheists aren't that childish?" And sure enough most of them probably aren't, I'd never encountered this kind of question from atheists until very recent, but it might be unfair to write it completely off as childishness. Granted the leg or arm thing is still a stupid example, to me that's obvious so I'm not getting into it and don't try, but if the basic point of it is "Why are there no miracles that cure things medical science can never cure?" than that's an understandable point. God curing something serious that's never cured, like AIDS or at one time rabies, would seem to have a clear purpose and be more likely to be miraculous.

This actually has bothered me at times, but I might be getting off the point of the thread. Still I think it's somewhat about "Why do we think God protects say a statue and yet he never does..." and then fill in with some wonderful thing. Anyway on the issue various ideas have come to mind.

Perhaps miraculously curing an AIDS patient would ultimately cause more resentment than it solved. After all why save this AIDS patient rather than another. Although that could be said of any miracle I suppose. At times I think bigger disruptions in nature may have bigger consequences. Perhaps the benefit of saving one, or even a hundred, AIDS patients has a much larger negative. Maybe AIDS patients will start thinking they can just "pray it away" or maybe faith would become "too easy" encouraging a complacency or increasing unhealthy fanaticism. (Although after enough exposure I think an AIDS patient miraculously being cured would prove nothing to most staunch atheists except that there's some things about the virus we don't understand. Even leg regrowth might just only be seen as a sign of an as yet unstudied genetic mutation in humans.)

Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM

4,345 posts, read 3,435,618 times
God's compassion is manifest directly to and through human consciousness, not through wild tales of random supernatural acts. The real miracles of God are humans who care enough to expend themselves for the "salvation" (ie: safety, help, relief from pain etc etc) of others.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:57 AM

48 posts, read 28,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
Miracles are rare coincidences. When someone comes up with a series of them dedicated to one individual or one cause there's some lying going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality