Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM

104 posts, read 208,080 times

Advertisements

This might be too controversial for this forum, but what do ya’ll think about switching from BC/AD to BCE/CE? I’m trying to keep an open mind, but it seems like a waste of time to me. Also, what is "common" supposed to mean and why would it start the same year that Jesus was born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
BCE/CE is mainly used in academia, certainly in archaeology.

I'm fine with it but I use BC/AD in everyday conversation, after all, the Christian worldview is dominant in Western society. Everyone, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, atheist, etc. understands it.

The use of the word 'common' is to refer to the manner of reckoning time that is 'commonly agreed upon'.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:37 PM

ABQ - that is a good answer. Still, seems like it would be easier just to drop the “AD” if that is a problem for the individual. Nice to know that we can all agree on something, though.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
BCE/CE is mainly used in academia, certainly in archaeology.

I'm fine with it but I use BC/AD in everyday conversation, after all, the Christian worldview is dominant in Western society. Everyone, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, atheist, etc. understands it.

The use of the word 'common' is to refer to the manner of reckoning time that is 'commonly agreed upon'.

Jews do NOT use BC or AD....... It is Christian pure and simple.......

Old 02-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Jews do NOT use BC or AD....... It is Christian pure and simple.......
What is used to indicate older dates (5,772+ years ago) before the Jewish calendar? Just curious.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:23 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
What is used to indicate older dates (5,772+ years ago) before the Jewish calendar? Just curious.

We just don't use BC or AD because they are Christian ways to date.

We use BCE and CE.

So BCE and CE are not just used in Academia and Archeology but also in many non Christian areas.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:46 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Personally, I think it's a waste of time and just makes things more confusing. I kinda understand them changing A.D., but I prefer B.C. over B.C.E., because it's honest about what is used to determine the "common era".

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
CE/BCE is standard in academic history, archaeology etc.

Why would anyone use "before christ" to describe the history of peoples to whom christ was either rejected, or unknown? Its kind of silly.

I make it a habit of using CE/BCE.

I dont get offended if someone uses BC/AD out of ignorance. I also dont mind their use in discussing specifically the history of christian peoples.

When someone who knows better makes a point of using BC/AD for the history of non-christians, or someone makes a stink about not liking the use of BCE/CE, I tend to think they have some kind of agenda, and it tends to alienate me.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
The point at which mankind started keeping track of time in a manner that was universally accepted was a completely random event and had nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Christ. No one is able to document that Christ ever even existed let alone that his date of birth (which is also unknown) was when everybody decided to syncronize their watches (oh wait, they didn't have any) and calendars and to universally declare that this was the first year. Also, the only reason that we refer to a date as BC is because we're referring to a time in which the concept of adopting a system of tracking the passing of the years in order to create a historical record of events had never been thought of.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The point at which mankind started keeping track of time in a manner that was universally accepted was a completely random event and had nothing whatsoever to do with the birth of Christ. No one is able to document that Christ ever even existed let alone that his date of birth (which is also unknown) was when everybody decided to syncronize their watches (oh wait, they didn't have any) and calendars and to universally declare that this was the first year. Also, the only reason that we refer to a date as BC is because we're referring to a time in which the concept of adopting a system of tracking the passing of the years in order to create a historical record of events had never been thought of.
No matter how often I try to reiterate that they did not deal with time linearly as we do . . . it fails to be understood, Montana. We are so deeply conditioned to time it is an impermeable gestalt that colors every aspect of our thoughts and reason as "given in the inner consciousness" . . . it just is the way it is for everyone . . . "naturally."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality