Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times

Advertisements

Was a year in biblical times equal to 365 days of 24 hours each as we know it today? - Yahoo! Answers this notes a difference, but I didn't do the math on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
You need to read the Scriptures and see that the high Sabbath after Passover was the 1st day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which is the day after Passover.
Then the 6th day came, and the women purchased and prepared their embalming spices [a big job], and the 7th Day Sabbath, and Jesus rose as the sun went down, beginning the first day of the week and the feast of First of Firstfruits -just as the living Oracles instructed, for that was when the First of Firstfruits were to be gathered, on the first, first day of the week after Passover, 3 days and 3 nights =72 hours, after Passover ended.
Christ is the Firstfruits, being the first to rise from the dead, with those whom He gathered at sundown, to use as the wave offering in the temple in heaven, to fulfill the true Feast of First of Firstfruits, which Moses gave as a type, to rehearse, for that Day to come when He rose.
First of Firstfruits is fulfilled forever.
Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
First of all, I made a stupid mistake. I meant the third day as Mo...damn' nearly did it again...Sunday. Perhaps I am confused by our first day being Monday not to mention the resurrection being 'Easter Monday' as I recall.

Quote:
high Sabbath after Passover was the 1st day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which is the day after Passover.
Then the 6th day came, and the women purchased and prepared their embalming spices [a big job], and the 7th Day Sabbath, and Jesus rose as the sun went down, beginning the first day of the week and the feast of First of Firstfruits -just as the living Oracles instructed, for that was when the First of Firstfruits were to be gathered, on the first, first day of the week after Passover, 3 days and 3 nights =72 hours, after Passover ended.
I still don't see the relevance of this, however.

Whenever the Passover was celebrated and setting aside dickering about Sadducees and Pharisees having Passover on different dates, the fact is that Jesus had to be down off the cross because the Sabbath, Saturday, was approaching and would begin at dark.

Thus Jesus was arrested, tried and nailed up on Friday, the day before the sabbath.

Saturday was the Sabbath and nobody did anything.

Sunday was the 'Third day' and that (presumably at dawn) was when the women went to the tomb, Cleophas could do his trip to Emmaus and Jesus supposedly appeared. Third day, Sunday. I don't see how fiddling about with passover sabbaths or sabbaths of sabbaths or various passover dates or how many days Jonah was in a fish's belly is of any relevance at all. Nor do I see the problem. Third day, as predicted, isn't that what is wanted? Doesn't this answer the OP's question? The women did not go to the tomb the next morning (Sabbath - Saturday) but the morning after (Sunday).

My doubts about the gospels have to be based on more than trying to pretend that the evangelists couldn't count.

Always happy for more input and I'll check the Gospels again to make sure the clues all add up to the same scene.

1st day of unleavened bread, related to passover. Mark 14.12, Matthew 26.17. John (13. 1) says it was 'just before 'the Passover feast. Whenever that was, doesn't really matter. Luke (22.7) says it is the day of unleavened bread on which the Passover lambs had to be sacrificed. I should look that up but, as I say, it seems to be neither here nor there; the crucifixion was on the day of preparation before Sabbath, which has (so far as I have ever heard) to be a Saturday.

Friday (1st day) arrest trial and execution. Preparation day, before the Sabbath. Mark 15.42. Matthew 28.1 Luke. 23.54. John 19.31. says it was a 'special' Sabbath. in the book I'm using right now. Whether a Passover Sabbath or a Sabbath of Sabbaths, it is still a Sabbath and falls on a Saturday. John implies that evening (when the Sabbath would begin) was approaching and the victims had to be finished off quick and taken down before Sabbath began. That evening is when the spices were prepared (Luke 23.56)

Saturday, Sabbath. (second day) The day after the day of preparation (Friday). Matthew 27.57. Astonishingly the priests go to ask for a guard on the Sabbath, when they should have duties at the Temple. Though all sorts of explanations can be thought up, it is one of the reasons l am inclined to discount this 'guard'. In any case, if the disciples had 'stolen the body' (Matthew 28.15) they'd had all night to do it, before the guard arrived.

Sunday, the first day of the week. (John 20.1) (third day) 'when the Sabbath was over'. Mark 16.1, Matthew 28.1. Luke 23.56 the women go to the tomb, Matthew's guard run away and Cleophas goes to Emmaus, says that this is the 'third day' since the arrest, trial and crucifixion (24.21) which seems right.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-28-2009 at 06:56 AM..

Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
First of all, I made a stupid mistake. I meant the third day as Mo...damn' nearly did it again...Sunday. Perhaps I am confused by our first day being Monday not to mention the resurrection being 'Easter Monday' as I recall.

Our first day of the week is the same as God's. The Sabbath is the seventh day of the week and the first day begins at sundown.

The oracles were understood by the NT authors, who were Jews.
The First of Firstfruits were to be gathered as the sun went down on the Sabbath, and they were. Jesus, as First of Firstfruits, rose from the dead as the sun went down on the Sabbath, making three days and three nights in the belly of the earth -72 hours, just as JEsus said.

The Passover was always to be on the fourth day of the week in God's calendar, as the book of Jubilees [not written by Moses or an angel, but by an Essene, who separated from the Pharisees because of the accepting of the Babylonian calendar after the Diaspora], explains.

Only Enoch's calendar explains the cycles of the weeks from God's establishment of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality