U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM
 
705 posts, read 902,217 times
Reputation: 320

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Do you believe in them, or not?

Have you ever personally seen them, or merely accept the claim that they exist without any proof?

Do you take some things at face value while deriding others, when you have no personal experience with any of them?
Yes, I do believe in subatomic particles. I believe that a meter of length is a full meter, and is made up of centimeters and milimeters and nanometers, etc. Particles and elements make up the universe, so sub particles make up the particles.

 
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,616,733 times
Reputation: 10890
I've never seen these particles. But I must assume that they exist because someone else says so?

I should take THEM on faith, but God is a silly joke?

I see both as plausible, but outside the realm of my personal experience. I'm agnostic on a good many things that I have not personally experienced.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
705 posts, read 902,217 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've never seen these particles. But I must assume that they exist because someone else says so?

I should take THEM on faith, but God is a silly joke?

I see both as plausible, but outside the realm of my personal experience. I'm agnostic on a good many things that I have not personally experienced.
Hey, you don't have to take anything on faith, you can bellieve what you want. I said it was my opinion that a belief in a god is silly. When one really thinks about it, it is very easy to see why. Believing in gods is no different from believing in the tooth falry, the easter bunny, werewovles or superman.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,616,733 times
Reputation: 10890
I agree that a person can believe what they want. I'm just saying that without personal experience, one thing is just as plausible as another. I don't know that God exists. I don't know that subatomic particles exist. I'm not willing to believe in either one, since I don't have knowledge of either. I'm also not willing to disbelieve in either one since I don't have any proof that they do not exist.

For me to either believe or disbelieve, I need proof--the proof of personal experience.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
 
705 posts, read 902,217 times
Reputation: 320
Well, I understand your point of view. For me, there's faith and there's logic. Many of the religious zealots I have spoken to who say they have faith seem to be lacking a sense of logic.

Now you may respond by saying that there is a huge difference between assuming something from logic and having literal or strict proof. I would understand that point of view. But again, this a very subjective issue, the belief in or belief in the existence of a god.

However, many who believe in god also hold as true the supernatural powers and abilities of such gods. That, I find completely illlogical and unbelievable.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,616,733 times
Reputation: 10890
If we were to learn how to travel through time, how do you think our modern technology would appear to people who lived even 100 years ago, much less thousands of years ago?

These powers and abilities could be explained away as a technological advantage, or perhaps just as a nature of that species. Could you imagine if dogs were the dominant species on Earth, and they were visited by bipeds?

"And, can you believe this?, they walked on TWO legs! And used their front paws to manipulate these devices!"
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 7,954,684 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
who said i was sure that dragons done exist.
I did. In my previous post. Of course, you're free to believe in all kinds of fantasies w/o my permission.

Quote:
the oldest religions in the world (Hindu's)are still here,these have been around since before history has them recorded they are timeless
There are plenty in the trashbin.
 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,898,153 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I

There are plenty in the trashbin.
name one ?
 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,616,733 times
Reputation: 10890
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I did. In my previous post. Of course, you're free to believe in all kinds of fantasies w/o my permission.

Fantasy? Like muons? Like protons?

Should we believe in coelcanths or the Loch Ness monster?
 
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 PM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,898,153 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
It is my opinion,...my opinion,........ that to believe in a god, or otherwise supreme being that created the universe and can see all we do and actually hears prayers and has the power and/or ability to make things happen here on earth or elsewhere in the universe, is just that, silly, very silly. It is a puerile concept in the same vein as dragons, fairies, witches and werewolves.

As humans are emotionally frail and given to impulsive rationale, I am not surprised that so many do indeed believe in a god of some sort. What I am surprised is that with so many truly intelligent people abounding on this earth there are so many that still believe in such drivel. It is also my opinion, again just my opinion, that these same people are either in denial, meaing refusing to believe the truth rather than in the river, or are just putting on an act to fit in for their own gain. Can you imagine how unsuccessful most politicians, if not all, would be in getting elected if they were to embrace the truth regarding this issue? All the church types would have no problem shunning them and surely wouldn't vote for such a politician.

Believing in gods and supreme beings is akin to worshiping thunder and lightning. It's no wonder primitive mankind looked upon what was misunderstood as some kind of god. I would like to think that as a race we've outgrown such thinking, but alas, church parking lots still fill up on sundays, and we still can't but liquor on sunday in some states. Sad, very sad.

But to answer your quesion, I do not believe in such nonsense because I am a realist. As a realist I can see very clearly and easily how silly and ridiculous any belief in god is. The mere existence of the universe explains why any such beliefs are silly.
you have a right to your opinion!!!!!!!!!,,glad to hear you have it all figured out,!!!!!!!!!!?/////////

''realist''??????????reality is beyond your controll in oh so many ways,you claim to know what reality is bye mearly using your imperfect senses and think that this is the all in all,that IMO is silly!!!but of course you think that everyhone that beleives in God are just silly,well thats alot of people,you must be better than all these then are you,because what you know must be the supreme truth and anyone who dosent BELEIVE what you beleive are just silly,i smell fundamentalism but in a different flavour/go spread the word eh!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top