U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,600,915 times
Reputation: 591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because you have to establish it as impossible, for it to be impossible. Until then, anything is possible until proven otherwise. Extraterrestrial life? Possible. Santa Claus? Possible. Splitting the atom? Possible.
Establish.. NO, claimed with very little thought, YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I've never seen these particles. But I must assume that they exist because someone else says so?

I should take THEM on faith, but God is a silly joke?

I see both as plausible, but outside the realm of my personal experience. I'm agnostic on a good many things that I have not personally experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Fantasy? Like muons? Like protons?

Should we believe in coelcanths or the Loch Ness monster?

YOU have never taken the time to perform any simple experiments.


The unknown doesn't automatically fall under possible, because it just maybe impossible, the HONEST people recognize this, and leave it in the unknown.
You are dishonest and willfully ignorant!

Last edited by Gplex; 03-06-2011 at 09:57 PM..

 
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,839,269 times
Reputation: 10898
At one time, muons were unknown. I still personally haven't seen evidence that they exist, so I refuse to take their existence on someone else's word. Yet, I don't deny the possibility that they exist.

Just because something is unknown doesn't mean it is not possible. EVERYTHING is possible, until proven otherwise.

Addendum: these experiments you speak of aren't so simple, they're the product of a large investment of time and money.

Gplex: which of these do you believe exists? Coelcanths or the Loch Ness monster?
 
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 4,967,661 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is repeatedly claimed but entirely false. You have allowed all the evidence for the Source of all that exists ("laws" of physics and chemistry, consistency and constants instead of chaos, Life, survival drive, etc.) to be classified as an unknown source and labeled with the euphemisms of ignorance (universe, nature, natural, emergent, self-organizing, spontaneous, random mutations, etc.).
Put words in peoples mouths much? I have said none of the things above which you assigned to me.

I merely say that those who claim there is a non-human intelligence out there which is responsible for the creation and/or subsequent maintenance of our universe are doing so without providing me with a single piece of evidence, argument, data or reasons to back up their claims.

That is what I have said. Not what you invented for me and inserted into my mouth.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,600,915 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
At one time, muons were unknown. I still personally haven't seen evidence that they exist, so I refuse to take their existence on someone else's word. Yet, I don't deny the possibility that they exist.

Just because something is unknown doesn't mean it is not possible. EVERYTHING is possible, until proven otherwise.

Addendum: these experiments you speak of aren't so simple, they're the product of a large investment of time and money.

Gplex: which of these do you believe exists? Coelcanths or the Loch Ness monster?
Again you FAIL to explain yourself. Fail to explain why you think EVERYTHING is possible, until proven otherwise. You know why it fails? Because by your failed logic, it was possible to fall off the edge off the earth until it was proven otherwise.. Ludicrous!
I'm wondering why your once were warrior supporters are no longer supporting you on this "everything is possible" stance

Have you used electricity lately.. you do know electrons are subatomic particles?

You FAIL to understand belief doesn't matter, it will not change facts.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,839,269 times
Reputation: 10898
Because the only things that aren't possible, are those things that are impossible.

For something to be impossible, it must be demonstrated to be such.

Quote:
Have you used electricity lately.. you do know electrons are subatomic particles?
Sorry, but that's YOUR explanation of it. How do I know that your explanation is valid? (And I was an electrician in the Navy--but I don't care HOW it works, only if it does or not).

Quote:
I'm wondering why your once were warrior supporters are no longer supporting you on this "everything is possible" stance
Some people get tired of having to repeat themselves, especially when repeating themselves doesn't help get it through someone's thick, protruding-brow skull.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 AM
 
1,838 posts, read 1,910,200 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
, it was possible to fall off the edge off the earth until it was proven otherwise.. Ludicrous!
well what if God does exist,and everyones been saying thats immpossible,like it was immpossible to go around the earth in a straight line and end up in the same place,as far as we thought anyway,a couple of hundred years ago!!!!!we base whats immpossible bye our own logic,that logic can and has been proven wrong so many times
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 AM
 
705 posts, read 907,656 times
Reputation: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
you have a right to your opinion!!!!!!!!!,,glad to hear you have it all figured out,!!!!!!!!!!?/////////

''realist''??????????reality is beyond your controll in oh so many ways,you claim to know what reality is bye mearly using your imperfect senses and think that this is the all in all,that IMO is silly!!!but of course you think that everyhone that beleives in God are just silly,well thats alot of people,you must be better than all these then are you,because what you know must be the supreme truth and anyone who dosent BELEIVE what you beleive are just silly,i smell fundamentalism but in a different flavour/go spread the word eh!!!!
Soneone sounds a bit overzealous. In my opinion anyway.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 AM
 
Location: North Central Ohio, to be exact :)
360 posts, read 382,075 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sorry, but that's YOUR explanation of it. How do I know that your explanation is valid? (And I was an electrician in the Navy--but I don't care HOW it works, only if it does or not).
It's very easy to use Google and just find the evidence yourself. Why are you bothering the people here? YOU are the one with ridiculous standards about proof and the like. Why don't you make this your endeavor, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Some people get tired of having to repeat themselves, especially when repeating themselves doesn't help get it through someone's thick, protruding-brow skull.
I wasn't aware ad hominems helped validate your stance.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 39,839,269 times
Reputation: 10898
Same question for you, OhioanKid
Why should I believe what someone else says about it, and take it on faith? The only valid proof is personal experience. Since I don't have that, it may be possible, but I will neither believe or disbelieve it in the absence of proof either way.
 
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 8,001,326 times
Reputation: 4070
Smile Would five be OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
name one ?
1. the ancient Egyptian pantheon of gods

2. the ancient Greek pantheon of gods

3. the ancient Roman pantheon of gods

4. the old Northern European paganism

5. the ancient druidism of the British Isles

All discards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top