U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is a married man having thoughts about a woman other than his wife tantamount to adultery?
Yes, it is adultery or a similar offense; I'm Christian 6 15.38%
No, it is not adultery but is still wrong; I'm Christian 3 7.69%
No, it is not wrong at all; I'm Christian 3 7.69%
I don't know; I'm Christian 0 0%
Yes, it is adultery or a similar offense; I'm not Christian 1 2.56%
No, it is not adultery but is still wrong; I'm not Christian 5 12.82%
No, it is not wrong at all; I'm not Christian 21 53.85%
I don't know; I'm not Christian 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM

15,974 posts, read 8,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Lust is the key word. you can think about something and not lust after it. Lust would indicate something that consumes you till it is about all you think about. If it is a woman, fame , or fortune it is wrong to lust after material things.
I think you are confusing "lust" with "obsession." You can be lustful for a fleeting second or a minute or an hour. Lust does not mean an all consuming thought or idea. Lust is simply lust. Lust can turn into an obsession but lust can simply be a fleeting thought as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,465,311 times
Can't we just redesignate adultery as "loving thy neighbor" provided her husband doesn't object?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM

2,958 posts, read 913,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Can't we just redesignate adultery as "loving thy neighbor" provided her husband doesn't object?
Who's gonna' ask her husband. Enough of this permisssion stuff already!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM

4,083 posts, read 2,498,276 times
Well folks all I know is being married doesn't stop one from looking....lololol It stops one from acting...

Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 AM

4,590 posts, read 3,484,075 times
Just because I can't eat doesn't mean you can stop me from reading the menu!

On a serious note, one does not have to be religious to believe that checkin' out the opposite sex when married is in poor taste. But.... We are humans, and it is definitely human nature to do so.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,523,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Here on Earth that is true but on Judgement Day,that is a different story.
I'll take my chances.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,498,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Here on Earth that is true but on Judgement Day,that is a different story.

Judgement according to your beliefs does not make it true... Many of us have other beliefs and religious traditions that don't include fear mongering.

You can have your judgement day!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM

629 posts, read 693,667 times
I wonder too that the fact that even the thought of adultery being 'forbidden fruit', and that no one can see your thoughts, would maybe be even more attractive to a Christian than to someone who does not believe that someone can read even your thoughts.

In my experience, the belief that God can see what you do in secret, and the amount of unchristian shenanigans that take place 'in secret' by those who profess to be Christians, shows a distinct lack of faith that God IS actually watching.

If you can be judged for your thoughts then it seems difficult to believe that anyone will go to heaven (if you believe in heaven).

Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM

837 posts, read 1,115,441 times
If fantasies about women other than one's own spouse are tantamount to adultery, then 99.99999% of the male heterosexual population is guilty...

Let me be clear: I NEVER cheat on my wife. Since I've known her, I've never so much as held hands with another woman. I love her and I take my vows seriously.....

While I don't cheat, do I think about it? Guilty as charged.......

I arrived at an epiphany some years ago:

I am a man, and I will make no apologies for being a man. Nor will I feel guilty about thinking and behaving as a man.

I believe thoughts and fantasies of a sexual nature are a part of the human condition, especially for men. As long as they are not acted upon, they're harmless.......

Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM

347 posts, read 146,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think you are confusing "lust" with "obsession." You can be lustful for a fleeting second or a minute or an hour. Lust does not mean an all consuming thought or idea. Lust is simply lust. Lust can turn into an obsession but lust can simply be a fleeting thought as well.
Lust can be brief but even brief it it wrong because it is :

intense sexual desire or appetite.
2. uncontrolled or illicit sexual desire or appetite; lecherousness.

3. a passionate or overmastering desire or craving (usually followed by for ): a lust for power.

4. ardent enthusiasm; zest; relish: an enviable lust for life.

5. Obsolete . a. pleasure or delight.

b. desire; inclination; wish.

–verb (used without object) 6. to have intense sexual desire.

7. to have a yearning or desire; have a strong or excessive craving (often followed by for or after ).

When you lust after something even for a short time it still consumes you for that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality