Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:15 PM

562 posts, read 660,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
This country is about diversity and the Senate belongs to everyone. What these people did was outright rude and disrespectful.

I don't see Hindus protesting or disrupting Christian prayers.
However, they don't allow prayer in school, or before football games etc.. so why should there be allowed in the Senate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Have you 2 READ the link I provided? It goes into to pretty good detail...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 PM

28 posts, read 20,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
However, they don't allow prayer in school, or before football games etc.. so why should there be allowed in the Senate?
Exactly. They shouldn't!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Have you 2 READ the link I provided? It goes into to pretty good detail...
Who are the 2 you are referring 2?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
He also had a Bible. Doesn't mean he believed in it or was a Christian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Doesn't mean he wasn't either. Liz
It does when you consider all the negative things he had to say about Christianity.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzippler View Post
But statements that he made durring his first First Inaugural Address March 4, 1801
" And may that Infinite Power which rules the destinies of the universe lead our councils to what is best, and give them a favorable issue for your peace and prosperity."
Hmm well his statement/prayer doesn't sound too different from the one the Hindu cleric recited in the Senate last week:

"We meditate on the transcendental glory of the Deity Supreme, who is inside the heart of the Earth, inside the life of the sky and inside the soul of the heaven. May He stimulate and illuminate our minds.

"Lead us from the unreal to real, from darkness to light, and from death to immortality. May we be protected together. May we be nourished together. May we work together with great vigor. May our study be enlightening. May no obstacle arise between us."

"United your resolve, united your hearts, may your spirits be at one, that you may long dwell in unity and concord!'

"Peace, peace, peace be unto all."

Quote:
Proves that he believed in one God not thousands, and that one God rules over our destinities
Even if that is so it doesn't mean it is the God of the Bible.

GOD refers to the creating force of the universe, regardless to whether one interprets that as a single entity or many. Even Christians have the trinity. And Hindus do believe in one supreme being btw. The other deities are incarnations of the supreme being.

Quote:
he was no Hindu, and he was no diest.
Never said he was a Hindu. But he was definitely not a Christian.

Quote:
And the fact that he attended Church services in the House of Representatives goes a long way to prove he had allot in common with Christians.
So what. I've attended Church services with my friends (both Catholic and Protestant) and I am Deist/Agnostic/Universalist

Like me, I think his attending Church was more along the lines of "When in Rome..."

Last edited by Mithrandir_; 07-25-2007 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir_ View Post
Who are the 2 you are referring 2?

Sorry Gandalf ...more than 2 in this conversation...my bad.

Anywho, here's that link again.

Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Because this would be unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this and correctly determined that there was not a violation of the First Amendment. Schools and football games were different because students had no choice to be present, but people visiting the Senate were free to come and go as they please.

If the senators wish to have a chaplain or multiple chaplains, that is their right. The founding fathers prayed at their meetings too. Religious freedom and freedom of speech is a constiitutional right in this country. The government has no business prohibiting its free exercise.

Frankly I'm getting tired of hearing that anything remotely religious should be limited to one's home or church and has no place in public. This is nonsense. By the way, do you know who agrees with me? Some of the most liberal Supreme Court justices such as Stephen Breyer, John Stevens etc. I have read their opinions in which they admit that religion is an integral part of our society and there is a place for the public display of religion.

I exercise my constitutional religious freedom rights daily. I pray whenever and wherever I feel like praying and teach my daughter to do so also. I was very proud when she spontaneously sang Jesus Loves Me in public. Chaplains in the senate are a positive thing and represents the spiritual heritage of our nation.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Because this would be unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this and correctly determined that there was not a violation of the First Amendment. Schools and football games were different because students had no choice to be present, but people visiting the Senate were free to come and go as they please.

If the senators wish to have a chaplain or multiple chaplains, that is their right. The founding fathers prayed at their meetings too. Religious freedom and freedom of speech is a constiitutional right in this country. The government has no business prohibiting its free exercise.

Frankly I'm getting tired of hearing that anything remotely religious should be limited to one's home or church and has no place in public. This is nonsense. By the way, do you know who agrees with me? Some of the most liberal Supreme Court justices such as Stephen Breyer, John Stevens etc. I have read their opinions in which they admit that religion is an integral part of our society and there is a place for the public display of religion.

I exercise my constitutional religious freedom rights daily. I pray whenever and wherever I feel like praying and teach my daughter to do so also. I was very proud when she spontaneously sang Jesus Loves Me in public. Chaplains in the senate are a positive thing and represents the spiritual heritage of our nation.
I'm also pretty sure you can pray in school and at a football game, it's just that the prayer cannot be led by a school official or coach asking the entire student body (or football team) to pray with them in regard to a certain religious belief. I agree with the courts that it's stepping over the line to expect all students to pray the same way.

It used to be that if you prayed with a group of friends at lunch in the cafeteria, or if you prayed before a test, the ACLU would be all over you. Not any longer.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM

311 posts, read 1,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I'm also pretty sure you can pray in school and at a football game, it's just that the prayer cannot be led by a school official or coach asking the entire student body (or football team) to pray with them in regard to a certain religious belief. I agree with the courts that it's stepping over the line to expect all students to pray the same way.

It used to be that if you prayed with a group of friends at lunch in the cafeteria, or if you prayed before a test, the ACLU would be all over you. Not any longer.
Yes, you are correct. Thank you for the clarification. What they found unconstitutional was a prayer that was either sponsored by the school or where everyone was expected to join in. Of course, you have the right to pray on your own in school or with a group of friends who also wish to join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality