Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 12:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Then thankfully, islam will remain essentially in the ME. N o one is really going to introduce Arabic as a second of third language for the benefit of muslims.
Don't be too sure.

And, in the alternative, just like Jewish students learn Hebrew at Jewish parochial schools or in afternoon Hebrew school, that option is also available to Muslims who want their children to learn Arababic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Don't be too sure.

And, in the alternative, just like Jewish students learn Hebrew at Jewish parochial schools or in afternoon Hebrew school, that option is also available to Muslims who want their children to learn Arababic.
That is not what I was alluding to, the state is not going to add Arabic as a compulsory language to be learned like possibly Spanish in the USA, French in the UK schools.

I agree muslims may utilize this language in an after school setting for kids born in the USA.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That is not what I was alluding to, the state is not going to add Arabic as a compulsory language to be learned like possibly Spanish in the USA, French in the UK schools.
Both Chinese and Arabic, like Spanish and French, are part of the curriculum in many gov't schools in the U.S.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM

397 posts, read 608,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
No it is not..... You have your belief and I have mine and in order for the folks of different faiths they need to just accept that other have a way to believe....

That is the truth and the only truth....
Well that's your opinion. I know people can change denominations and faiths. It happens everyday but they don't just change for no reason, they talk about it, research, and hopefully exchange ideas and opinions and information on forums like the cd forum

I'm not going to ignore those who have questions

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Hi
Could you till me please how many different versions are there of the Bible & what is the original version ?
If there is any difference beside translation then why is that ?
Is't that supposed to be god's words ?!!.. then how could you change god's words ?
Am i missing something here !!
Thank you
There are dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of different versions of the Bible; to determine an 'original version' is very difficult, as the books of the Bible were written and added (and some were removed or substantially altered) to the text as a whole, over a long period of time.

The Bible, in the sense of a complete text, emerged about 400-450 years after Jesus' death. Differences in translation appear due to changes in spoken and written language, translations from one language to another, and the inherant biases and social/political/religious agendas of those making the translation.

Interestingly, very few translators made alterations that substantially changed what the Bible originally said; as has been pointed out elsewhere, it's an issue of interpretation, and most of the translations change the way the Bible is read rather than the meaning of the writing. An argument could be made, in that case, that the translators could justifiably claim that they weren't 'changing' the Bible, but rather 'updating' it for the current era.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
The Bible, in the sense of a complete text, emerged about 400-450 years after Jesus' death.

You're referring to the Christian Bible, not the Bible.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Well I responded to you and in your claim of the fastest growing religion had to set the record straight. It is not growing by conversion, muslims are migrating and having babies that become muslim. The growth of islam and the shrinking of xianity is only by natural attrition. You added some validity to growth as to being the most relevant, called the appeal to number ad numerum, xians also do this
So we must take your word and ignore what is reported in the press? One can only come to one of two conclusions of islam looking at what happens in the ME, islam is barbaric or its adherents there are barbaric/uncivilized.
I read the whole thread. My point stands.
So allah is incapable of preserving the his word w/o the help of his followers? This is the same lame argument xians make. We are told the hebrew copying was carried out so methodically so if a scribe made an error he would have to start that scroll all over again. Turns out that is BS as we have manuscripts that vary/have errors. Your qu'ran is as man made as the hebrew and the xian texts, no deity involved. Your claim that mohammed was the messenger jesus promised only reinforces the atheist's claim of being man made as god 1st talks to the jews then the xians then the arabs. Seems this one god cannot make up his mind who his teacher's pet actually is. Did god abandon the jews, then the xians and make the arabs his favorite?
If it is all the same message, why the need to invent three religions. Seeing all this transpired in the ME and seeing that folk probably spoke aramic, the idea of communication between different tribes was thus possible and no need for a new religion. The hebrew stuff was 1st, xianity changed that and so too did islam, similarities perhaps but not all the same message. Thus you cannot even claim to idolize the same god.
And this is why shaira law is not wanted. By inference you would prefer thieves hands are cut off. We have ways of dealing with this that is not barbaric. Your religion is archaic and only because you live in the USA you have to abide by the laws of that land. Of all three religions, your's is the sickest. Neither you nor xians nor jews can practice the religions in full as set out in their holy books. In most countries, these are crimes against humanity, the secular laws are better.
First of all, I cannot speak to a muslim woman unless her husband is present. Were I in any form of conversation, she would not be in the same room. Were I to be insensitive and address her direct w/o her husband's permission, I would be kicked out of his house, in the ME I would NEVER see his wife except when she came in to deliver food or refreshments. Muslims here are more westernized and you can greet the women but in the ME, it is a whole different ball game. Rape victims are stoned to death - please deny that.
An atheist cannot have freedom of expression in the ME neither can any other religion. It is shut up and nothing more. How liberating is that?

The three Abrahamic religions get equal disrespect from me as no god exists except in the minds of the believers. Their gods are all man made and if it were possible that folk stopped believing for two to three generations, those gods would cease to exist. IOW, your god's existence is solely dependent on the belief of it's adherents.

Other atheists have made the effort to study the Qu'ran and there are even a few ex-muslim atheists I have met online. The texts of all three religions are filled with myths and claims that are ridiculous. mohammed splitting the moon comes to mind. That is in your text and we are supposed to believe that is true? Just like the jewish flying chariots, ladders going up to heaven, xian resurrection of the dead - it is all in the same category, musings of ancient desert dwellers.
if you want to keep watching tv, keep reading up why islam is bad, etc. just hearing what others say, you'll never hear about anything good from them. calling muhammad and his followers or even muslims barbaric is ridiculous and untrue. the prophet, pbuh, went for a long period without fighting back. and when he did fight back it was only in defense. someone attacking him and his people and them defending themselves. you would know that the angel of the mountains once asked him "should i crush the town between these two mountians" and the prophet, pbuh, elevated himself above the angels by saying no, rather maybe, insha allaah, the kids and future generations may become muslim. a REAL barbarian would have destroyed the town no, second thoughts. people in that town just threw rocks at him, and he left the town so bloody that his feet were soaked in blood so much so that his sandals were sticking to feet. and you say he is a barbarian? this is just one of many reasons why i know that you have no idea what your talking about and you havent researched the life of the prophet, pbuh. you just listen to others and base your religion on what ignorant people say about islam. but hey if that works for you go ahead, but i can prove that he was not a barbarian, you can make as many claims as you want until your blue in the face but im not going to waste my breath trying to explain to you something you obviously, want to know nothing about. you just want to bash on islam. and you have your mind set, but insha allaah, i hope allah guides you as he has guided over 2 billion others.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
There are many translations of the Quran into the English language. If they are all exactly the same, then why multiple translations of the Quran? Which one is correct?
the reason is because you can never fully translate arabic into english. the reason being that english has about 25 thousand words there are about 300 thousand in arabic. this can easily be discovered on the "google" search engine. but since that is the case one word in arabic does not mean just one word in english sometimes. sometimes it takes a few words to describe a word in arabic. but rest assured, the arabic language in the quran has not changed.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Jews don't follow Moses and Muslims are fanatical about Muhammad...
Jews follow G-d and only G-d. Muslims have elevated Muhammad to the same level of G-d. They say they haven't but their behavior on the behalf of Muhammad speaks to a different truth.

When you can kill others in the name of Muhammad, when you kill because you believe his name has been sullied then you have elevated him to a new level. Even when Muhammad was verbally attacked in his lifetime he told his followers to have restraint. When garbage was thrown on him by those who were against him he told his followers to do nothing.
Muslims are not fanatical about Muhammad. All muslims love Muhammad pbuh, as a messenger of God but nothing more and this is explained in a hadith at the battle of Uhud when the people had heard the prophet died and they stopped fighting and when they found it to be false the prophet, pbuh, told them that they should only love him as a prophet, because if he dies they must still fight in the name of god. not the name of Muhammad, pbuh.

muslims follow God only god, you just say what Greenspan said, they can even worship in a mosque because they do in fact both believe in ONE god.

Christians have elevated Jesus Christ, pbuh, to the level of God. always saying "in the name of Jesus" praying to Jesus, etc. we do not pray to the prophets of God or any of his followers. we pray to God alone. Christians pray to a trinitarian God and Jesus.

and we follow the example of our prophets. we try to be as much like the prophets as we can because we know that they were the most pious people amongst us. they were chosen by Allaah to be messengers.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
if you want to keep watching tv, keep reading up why islam is bad, etc. just hearing what others say, you'll never hear about anything good from them. calling muhammad and his followers or even muslims barbaric is ridiculous and untrue.
I inferred that they are either barbaric or the religion is barbaric. This is in the ME of course where it is followed more strictly then here in SA.

What I see on TV of public executions of women is the result of following your religion to the letter.
Quote:
the prophet, pbuh, went for a long period without fighting back. and when he did fight back it was only in defense. someone attacking him and his people and them defending themselves.
That is irrelevant, we are talking of the religion as it is probably mispracticed today. The religion in the ME still treats women as second class citizens. In Saudi Arabia, a woman can be arrested if not accompanied by a brother or uncle when she goes shopping. She has to wear a burka. Men only do not have to shave and can wear jeans if they want to. Why must woman hide their femininity, are all muslim men rapists? can they not control their lusts? Are women cursed by allah for being sexually attractive. Your culture undermines the natural where women try to attract the best mate. You have arranged marriages where western civilizations it is based in the choice of the couple.
Quote:
you would know that the angel of the mountains once asked him "should i crush the town between these two mountians" and the prophet, pbuh, elevated himself above the angels by saying no, rather maybe, insha allaah,
Angels do not exist so this is a non sequtar
Quote:
the kids and future generations may become muslim. a REAL barbarian would have destroyed the town no, second thoughts. people in that town just threw rocks at him, and he left the town so bloody that his feet were soaked in blood so much so that his sandals were sticking to feet. and you say he is a barbarian? this is just one of many reasons why i know that you have no idea what your talking about and you havent researched the life of the prophet, pbuh.
Not interested in your prophet, he is no different to other liars of the other religions.
Quote:
you just listen to others and base your religion on what ignorant people say about islam. but hey if that works for you go ahead, but i can prove that he was not a barbarian, you can make as many claims as you want until your blue in the face but im not going to waste my breath trying to explain to you something you obviously, want to know nothing about. you just want to bash on islam. and you have your mind set, but insha allaah, i hope allah guides you as he has guided over 2 billion others.
I have no religion, I am an atheist. You want to push your religion so I will challenge the religion based on the facts we see and read about in the news. You cannot simply tell us to ignore that and pretend it does not exist.

As the cultures becomes more disenfranchised with their leaders, the ME societies may evolve to be more modern and moderate. Until I see that happening, I will oppose any attempt to paint islam as a religion of peace or a better religion. I would prefer it disappears completely but we may have to wait another 300 years for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality