Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: pro-life or pro-choice
pro-life (against abortion) 32 50.00%
pro-choice (pro-abortion) 32 50.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,647,509 times

Advertisements

I'm in between. Girls should only get an abortion if they are raped, otherwise it's their fault that they got pregnant and they shouldn't get an abortion because of their stupidity. Simple as that. How can a girl be okay with killing a baby? That's sick.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:01 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,673,734 times
I'm an atheist and against abortion for the most part.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,358,196 times
Agnostic, pro choice but NOT pro abortion. I can think of only one situation where I would consider abortion, and that is if my baby would not survive and going through with the pregnancy would likely kill me. I think it would be selfish of me to continue since I have other children who are here who need me.

Outside of that one situation I would NEVER get an abortion. That being said, I don't think I have the right to tell other people how to live their lives.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,358,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hear! Hear!

I agree with you Nea...life is just sooooooo "complicated" now. Says I...as I type on a computer. LOL!

Oh, and TKramar (I really dig your cynical/sarcastic style)...I rarely agree with Nea...but this I have learned---She is REALLY sharp...incredibly tenacious...and can "sting you" if you give her the slightest opening. You have your work cut out for you if you go "toe to toe" with her. Believe THAT!
I have to disagree with you. Nea still hasn't figured out a response for her conclusive attitude towards marriage between those with different religious beliefs. I think her view is a bit narrow and fails to take into consideration numerous ideas.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,492,794 times
I think unless one has actually walked in the shoes of a savagely raped woman or was the mother of a very young girl who is pregnant against her will and before she is even mentally or physically a woman that we have no right to judge their actions, or to create laws mandating she goes through with the pregnancy.

This is a very personal matter that will affect the future of the girl/woman..I am all for trained counseling if needed, otherwise (as a believer) I don't think God needs us to do the judging., the finger pointing or for us harm or do damage to the Dr's or their clinics where safe abortions are performed and counseling services are provided.

The only thing I am against personally with abortions would be in the case of a very self centered woman who feels pregnancy will ruin her body, or a very careless one with no thought about preventing pregnancy, but then again it is her decision and she must bear the consequences of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM

397 posts, read 607,918 times
very interesting! the poll is 50/50 as of this moment. i know that some of you did not participate in the poll and just posted a response to the thread which is fine, nothing wrong with that and ones that did vote on the poll gave explanations for why they chose what they chose. whether that be pro-choice or pro-life, but only to an extent i do appreciate everyones participation and thoughts towards this situation!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM

18 posts, read 23,512 times
Well i am religious and a Muslim . any thing with out right relation is not allowed in Islam. when ever a man touch you with out relation their is a sin you do and you have to pay for it in any case or situation weather you like it or not.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,628,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Again, not a fact . Humans have value and no one is above the other, I never said I was but I have value and so do others. You can choose to be miserable, cold and unproductive, that's your loss.

There is not a single human alive that the world would miss, and if all of us were gone, the world would be able to finally heal.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,366,043 times
Quote:
Obviously, for all of human history...women have bore young...and mostly in what modern society would consider terrible conditions...and that's still common in many parts of the world today. Most didn't/don't abort...
As a statistic pointing out that through most of history most women did not abort is a bit of a non-point. Safe medical abortion was not an option for most of "human history" and is only a recent development, so it is sort of a non-point to mention that women did not avail of an option that they never actually had.

Quote:
The process of human procreation has to have it's "launch event" at some point in the process...I figure, without conception there is never going to be any new life...so that's the logical starting point for me.
That is alas not so logical as you think as you can say the very same thing about many other things. Without sex there would be no new life for example.

This is before you mention the fact that a vast number of conceptions self abort. More than we know of in fact as many of them happen before the mother even knows there was a pregnancy at all.

At best choosing conception is arbitrary and baseless, at worst it is, as I have pointed out, a meaningless point with regards discussions about "morality", "rights" and things like "right to life".

Unless we can find some way to define why a zygote has rights at all, then there is no basis for arguing that a women... who we CAN argue is an entity with rights.... should not have the right to remove it from her body at will like any other infection or parasite.

The challenge for the anti-choice campaigner on this issue therefore is to make an argument that establishes 1) first that the zygote has rights at all and 2) second that those rights are of a level to usurp or negate that of the mother.

And as I keep pointing out the first step in that challange is to be clear what you mean by your terms when you throw around words like "human" and "life". The definitions you work with have to 1) be such that they include the zygote and 2) be relevant to a discussion on rights and morality.

I have heard no definition yet that does both of these things.

For example you talk about it being a seperate "person entity" from conception. How is it a "person". What definition of "person" are you using here? It is no such thing by ANY definition I have ever heard. It is simply a cell with a piece of DNA in it, DNA which instructs the call on how to make a person out of materials it does not yet have. It is no more than a blue print.

Quote:
I feel, to be fair and just, we MUST act in accordance with that possibilty...until such time it can be PROVED DEFINITIVELY whether we are killing "a person" or not.
I disagree entirely because I work from a world view basis of "innocent until proven guilty". Therefore if we can not show we ARE doing harm, I assume we are not.

To operate like you are, I would have to start operating on "Guilty until proven innocent" which is not only something I am not going to do.... but is a completely unworkable world view as you would have to prove that literally everything we do does not cause harm before we allow ourselves to do it. There simply is no way to do this, nor enough time in the world to complete the project.

So no, unless it can be established that we are doing harm, I assume we are not.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,366,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Girls should only get an abortion if they are raped, otherwise it's their fault that they got pregnant and they shouldn't get an abortion because of their stupidity. Simple as that. How can a girl be okay with killing a baby? That's sick.
I am pro-choice but I never use the rape argument ever… ever ever and I wish pro-choice people would generally stop too.

I am ever more confused by people who make the rape argument, but then say that killing babies is sick. It seems a contradiction to me.

Either you think the “baby” (it is not a baby it is a foetus, but different conversation) has a right to be alive… or it does not have such a right. Which is it?

The baby does not lose that right (if you think it has it) just because someone ELSE committed a crime.

Can you think of any other scenario where person X loses their right to life because person Y committed a crime on person Z????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality