Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,151,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Christians aren't hedging 'their' bets. As you point out, God sees and knows the heart and there is no advantage to only a pretense.

Christians use the 'hedging' arguement to try to get non-believers to recognize that there is far greater danger in clinging to a Christless belief, than simple theological or religious error.
No more of a danger than clinging to a Mithras-less belief or Horus-less belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,345,460 times
I've had people try and use this idea on me to get me to follow their beliefs. I always give them the same response - if your God does exist I don't think he'd be thrilled with the idea of me believing in him simply because I'm scared not too.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I believe in Christ as my savior because it is impossible for me not to believe.
You were brainwashed into that belief just like I was.
Quote:
I don't want to go to hell because I don't want to separated from God for all eternity.
You are already separated. Anything you perceive is because your mind makes it real including the voices in your head and the holy spirit goosebump anointing - all of this is self induced. Your god is as real as the tooth fairy. At least the tooth fairy lies were dismissed when you got older.
Quote:
It is not out of fear, except for fear that I would be without God. Like I wouldn't want to be without water in the desert.
It is fear. The separation from god angle is just a play on your emotions. You are not connected to god right now other than fellowship at your church/friends/family. Everything you perceive to be real now are figments of your imagination at work.

You fear death as you cannot make peace with the finality of it, there has to be more to this life etc.

Anything you claim is real, I also experienced. I experienced it and it was real to me because I needed it to be real.

Just stop going to church, stop talking about god, stop reading your bible. The stuff starts to fade away. This is why your bible instructs you not to neglect the gathering of the saints, renew your mind daily. It is like drug addiction and you need your daily and weekly fix to hold the course.

You cannot see it now because you are so caught up in all the hype and promises. What you perceive as reality is a mass delusion. I know, I was there for 30 years.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,907,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have heard more then once from Christians that they believe in Jesus because if they are wrong then they don't have anything to lose if they are wrong...

Are you all really hedging your bets and wouldn't Jesus know you are doing that so if your are right and there is a heaven won't G-d know you were just believing to hedge your bets?
You don't hedge your bets with God as He knows the heart of men, you can fool man but you can't fool God as you are a fool to think that you can fool Him.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You don't hedge your bets with God as He knows the heart of men, you can fool man but you can't fool God as you are a fool to think that you can fool Him.
What a load of codswallop.

The whole premise of your theology is to be saved from hell. So you answer the alter call, say the sinner's prayer, attend church regularly, read the the church's bulletin faithfully, the bible is too dangerous as you may deconvert, get involved with some church activity, show dedication to this and all the while have doubts if god exists.

Oh and if you are a big tither like I was, you tend to get preferential treatment.

What more could god ask for? You did all that was taught/indoctrinated into you. You can even pretend to have tongues just like everyone else pretends they have tongues.

Learning chirtianese is easy, practice makes perfect. You can even learn to pray with a passion to sound more convincing, best to do this in church and shed a few tears for more realism and not in private as no one will notice except maybe your family.

Most do it the way I describe but are not aware that they are doing it.

Oh and you must be facetious and knock other xians when they are down and say they do not have enough faith and that they are backsliden, just to make yourself seem better than others.

Always make a point to suck up to the pastor, if you church is really big, your deacon will do.

Afterall, you only see each other Sundays and perhaps Wednesdays, and the small amount of interaction time you can put on your xian mask.

99% of the congregation will see you as saved except you of course, you do seem to have the only hotline to god.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
Quote:
There is no shortage of fools, fooling themselves about fooling the main character in a fools fable.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
What a load of codswallop.

The whole premise of your theology is to be saved from hell. So you answer the alter call, say the sinner's prayer, attend church regularly, read the the church's bulletin faithfully, the bible is too dangerous as you may deconvert, get involved with some church activity, show dedication to this and all the while have doubts if god exists.

Oh and if you are a big tither like I was, you tend to get preferential treatment.

What more could god ask for? You did all that was taught/indoctrinated into you. You can even pretend to have tongues just like everyone else pretends they have tongues.

Learning chirtianese is easy, practice makes perfect. You can even learn to pray with a passion to sound more convincing, best to do this in church and shed a few tears for more realism and not in private as no one will notice except maybe your family.

Most do it the way I describe but are not aware that they are doing it.

Oh and you must be facetious and knock other xians when they are down and say they do not have enough faith and that they are backsliden, just to make yourself seem better than others.

Always make a point to suck up to the pastor, if you church is really big, your deacon will do.

Afterall, you only see each other Sundays and perhaps Wednesdays, and the small amount of interaction time you can put on your xian mask.

99% of the congregation will see you as saved except you of course, you do seem to have the only hotline to god.
You don't read very well do you.
Try again.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is no shortage of fools, fooling themselves about fooling the main character in a fools fable.
You'll see who the fool is when you die.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Try again.
Oh no I read very well thank you. Just amazed that you proclaim to actually know what god will do and how he thinks. Tell me where can I get a mobile that is god connected or better still, do you have his mobile number. It is after all better to hear from the source direct is it not?

I tried fervent prayer but all I heard was silence mingled with my own thoughts.

Some folk like you came to me with messages from god apparently, but they were all conflicting messages.

Some said when I lost my job god will provide. Well I waited and there were no job offers even when I applied to ads. Only when I started my own business did things change.

Maybe if I get his number, he can tell me what I did wrong. Or surely in this day and age he has an email address - no? I can even verify his IP address and if the trace shows 777.777.777.777, I will know it is authentic. Seven is after all gods favorite number is it not?

Wow wouldn't it be cool if he could spam my laptop with a pop-up msg window and say "hey dude stop giving Perry such a hard time - God" I would make an exception for him on my firewall.

All his followers seem to have a facebook page, odd that he has not registered one yet, he will no doubt have the most fans on FB. Then I could friend him and if he accepts my friend request, then I know I will be saved. After all, he did say knock and the door will be opened. I guess he will not go back on his word now will he?

See if he did this, at least I could expect a reply from him when I posted on his wall. I will be polite I promise. I know he is temperamental and all and would not want him to unfriend me or block my many questions.

So next time you talk to him, please convey my sincere requests.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,345,460 times
Quote:
Try again.
After seeing your response to Asheville's response... I have to believe this statement is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality