U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 AM

5,120 posts, read 1,823,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why am I bothering with this lunacy??? Burn up or freeze if the distance varied by even a centimetre my arse!!! What a plonker!!!

Good...and please don't say any more because you make ignorance into an art form.
You are of course assuming that it IS ignorance.... and not outright lying. I am not so sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 AM

570 posts, read 351,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius
Good...and please don't say any more because you make ignorance into an art form. I'm sorry pal but it has to be said, even if I get banned for it, you are the most scientifically illiterate person that it has been my misfortune to come across since I landed on this planet 61 years ago!! Get your head out of your backside, put your Qur'an down and actually LEARN something about what you are trying to dismiss....
That's a big compliment .. it really means a lot to me .
You just made my day ...
of course you know what i mean
Thank you

Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 AM

7,884 posts, read 4,540,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
That's a big compliment .. it really means a lot to me .
You just made my day ...
of course you know what i mean
Thank you
So do you have the integrity to admit that you were wrong about the Earth-Sun distance?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 AM

570 posts, read 351,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill
You have everything backwards.
How ??
Quote:
There appears to be millions of planets in the universe. A small portion of them are the right distance from a star that they will have liquid water. For that small portion, there is a good chance that some form of life as we know it will exist.
there is a good chance !!!!
are we talking about what have been discovered so far or what we "might , might not" discover in the future ??
Quote:
Your claim that if we were only a centimeter closer to the sun we would burn up, and a centimeter away from the the sun we would freeze, is clearly not true.

The Earth's orbit varies from 91.5 million miles to the Sun, to 94.5 million to the sun each year. So there is a 3 million mile difference in how close we are to the sun through out the year.
Maybe I didn't explain it very well after all
So let me put it that way .. could you tell me please how long does it take the sun's light to reach earth ?
In other word ... does that time change every year??
Thank you

Old 03-31-2011, 06:18 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,491,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I differentiated between conventional evidence. Of course we are not going to see some smiling bearded figure on a throne with our telescopes. How is using stricter scientific standards to observe something that is not observable scientifically going to help? The only thing observable that is any evidence at all is existence itself. Other than that, I have only philosophical, spiritual, and moral evidence. And really just a hunch.
My point was that you don't see people saying things like "curing cancer extremely important, so let's not limit ourselves and instead use supernatural evidence when doing cancer research". Would you really take a drug that has only "moral" evidence of being safe and effective?

But change the subject to god and suddenly it seems like a good approach. I'm not sure why gods get a free pass like this, but it seems like special pleading.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,491,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
So let me put it that way .. could you tell me please how long does it take the sun's light to reach earth ?
If you really don't know or can't find the answers to simple questions like this, you probably aren't in a position to be lecturing others about the limits of scientific knowledge.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,501,086 times
We discover things so far, but the "three second" thing for the sun shining like other celestial bodies are experienced here on earth has the Being existing "out of synch.".

So we begin the thinking for knowledge again. In such an epistemological beginning we can refocus the earth to be the centre of the universe. It just became possible through the psychology of perception which ironically needed the cosmological knowledge to itself. We make the greenwich time accurately for a cosmos lagged to the conscience for facts: these are facts about the rotation of the Earth anyway.

I like to say: it is subjective that the earth goes around, not due to money but due to the spirit of rising in the morning and going to sleep at night. That existed first.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,507,209 times
How long does it take the sun's light to reach earth?

Answer

The distance from the Earth to the Sun varies because the Earth's orbit about the Sun is elliptical.At it's closest, the distance is 91,402,000 miles and it's farthest distance it is 94,512,000 miles.This gives an average distance of 92,957,000 miles. Light travels at 186,282 miles per second. Dividing the average distance by the speed of light gives 499.01225 seconds which is 8.3168708 minutes.

Rounded off, let's say 8 minutes and 18 seconds.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,501,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
How long does it take the sun's light to reach earth?

Answer

The distance from the Earth to the Sun varies because the Earth's orbit about the Sun is elliptical.At it's closest, the distance is 91,402,000 miles and it's farthest distance it is 94,512,000 miles.This gives an average distance of 92,957,000 miles. Light travels at 186,282 miles per second. Dividing the average distance by the speed of light gives 499.01225 seconds which is 8.3168708 minutes.

Rounded off, let's say 8 minutes and 18 seconds.

So you're saying that the cosmology makes the psychology less epistemologically true. If we are to presume the true existential beliefs about the sun and the earth; I thought that it was something somewhat of minutes to follow for the astronomically measured values, but then I thought that liking the heliocentric point of view became hard to accept on an individual basis.

It is true that the sun God wants to fool us. But the money is easier to suggest that He is psychologically very off for over a century.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,460,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Boxcar Overkill posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior

RESPONSE:
An infinite regression,eh? Is that possible?

>>No more or less possible than something always existing - and those appear to be our only two choices.<

RESPONSE:

Maybe not. I don't believe that an infinite regression is possible. Let me check out that point and get back to you.
ADDITION:

You've asked an interesting question. It may take a number of posts to explore. Here's one answer:

"Thus an actual infinite could come to exist only if all the memebers came to exist at the same time. As Craig points out "if an infinite number of Days existed before today, today would never come because one can never traverse the infinite."

Perhaps you'd like the fuller explanation found in this article.

Against Infinite causal regress

www.doxa.ws/cosmological/No_ICR.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality