Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,523,780 times

Advertisements

It's hard to return to anywhere once you're dead.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

124 posts, read 165,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Obviously, "This generation" refers to Jesus' generation. Note the word "This."
Or as Matthew says in his 16:27-28:

27 ‘For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. 28Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.’ (NRSV)

And as Paul wrote in 1 Thes 4:15-17

15For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died. 16For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord for ever. (NRSV)

None of this (angels, trumpet, descent from heaven, resurrection of the dead, etc.) occurred during Rome's invasion of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., so any "theologians and scholars" making such a claim are obviously wrong.
According to you.

I'd suggest you do some more serious study of the passages you quoted, before making such broad and sweeping generalizations.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,711,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Why didn't Jesus return?

UHHHHH, cause he never existed in the first place?

And if he did exist, he was merely a man with no magical powers.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,155,553 times
Why would anyone, who has had the good fortune to depart this planet, want to return?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,710,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
According to you.

I'd suggest you do some more serious study of the passages you quoted, before making such broad and sweeping generalizations.
RESPONSE:

I'd suggest that you go by the plain meaning of words, rather than some apologists whose belief systems won't allow them to admit the obvious. The words say what they say.

Would you like a more complete listing of New Testament scriptures in which Jesus said he would return during his generation?

But He didn't return during the life times of his followers.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-22-2011 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,710,439 times
Matt 24 "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other…Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place.”

Mark 13 "And then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in the clouds' with great power and glory, and then he will send out the angels and gather (his) elect from the four winds, from the end of the earth to the end of the sky. Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place."

Mark 9 “Amen, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see that the kingdom of God has come in power."

Matt 10 “When they persecute you in one town, flee to another. Amen, I say to you, you will not finish the towns of Israel before the son of man comes.”

Matt 26 “But I tell you: From now on you (the chief priest) will see 'the Son of Man seated at the right hand of the Power the clouds of heaven”

1 Thes 4 "Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord."

Obviously, none of this happened during Jesus' and Paul’s generation. So apologists have written extensively trying to prove that Jesus didn’t really mean what he clearly said.

The plain meaning of words is considered to be the actual meaning unless there is clear evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-22-2011 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Eliminated [SIZE]s

Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

The preponderance of the evidence is that Jesus did exist.
Really?? "Preponderance of evidence."?? I don't know of any. Could you elaborate on this "Preponderance of evidence." please?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,042,545 times
There is a good reason for the popular saying "slower than the second coming of Christ"....It ain't gonna happen....Ever.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,752,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Mark 13:26 “At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. 27 And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.28 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 29 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it[d] is near, right at the door. 30 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Jesus spoke of great calamity that was to come, as well as his own glorious return. He also said that these events would occur within the lifetime of those he spoke to.

But it didn't happen. It didn't happen. Christian, how do you deal with this?
Hey, if I died and came back to life as a god I wouldn't hang around this dump. There's a whole universe out there to see.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,815,449 times
He's back!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality