Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
I never understood why people feel 'God' is somehow responsible for our wellbeing, hardships, misfortunes, etc; or would even care for that matter.

When you look up into the sky; the cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Born from oblivion, have children, die into oblivion. There really isn't any more to it.

Existence is random, has no pattern, save what we imagine after staring at it to long - no meaning, save what we choose to impose.

This rudderless world is not overseen by vague metaphysical forces. It isn't 'God' who kills the children, not fate nor destiny that inflicts a loved one with a terminal illness...

It's us - only us.
It is only us (& nature)! But some of us are not random formations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM

313 posts, read 329,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Ok ok so I know I don't have the best rep to being the most religious friendly on these boards , however, when it comes to logic I am very open minded to understanding these things.

A lady where I work ... is.. well, terribly terribly weird looking. We aren't talking "She isn't cliche hot". It's not even a matter of looking SEXY or attractive. She has these bumps/"boils" all over her face -- her bottom half of the face seems.. dead (when she speaks it looks like a muppet)..and her bottom look like cat teeth?!.. They are thin and curly. It's so weird.

About 2 weeks ago, one of the attorneys (for some reason) had their small child with them (as in maybe 4 or 5 years old). He [child] was talking to her and then he said, "Why do you look like that" so she gave him that cliche old line "Well this is how God made me".

I then realized this woman is probablyreligious and she uses this as an excuse to help herself death with her "deformity". I feel bad -- but if there is a God, why would he make her so hard on the eyes? As far as I know she isn't married.

This isn't just about her. Why are people born into parents of abusive parents? I understand we all choose our actions (such as the parents abusing the children), but why would someone be put into these HORRRRIBLE situations when all they were.. is born?

Why are people born into poverty? Not so much "not able to afford an iPhone", but people in countries who have little to no clean water and very little food. What's the point? What is "God" trying to do with these people?

Why do we have some of the crazy illness' that we have? Cancer? Seriously? Why would God give us a disease that ANYone can develope, and causes a slow and painful death. Why? Why should people who have lived good, decent lives... die slowly and painfully?

None of this makes sense to me. I'll ACCEPT the argument that all evil on earth is man made -- fine -- but why are there BAD UNAVOIDABLE things that happen to people?
Isn't coercing someone with fear, sadness, anguish etc. against individual choice?

Providing unbearable circumstances in order for one to seek your love doesn't sound like real love to me.

sounds like tyranny.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Isn't coercing someone with fear, sadness, anguish etc. against individual choice?

Providing unbearable circumstances in order for one to seek your love doesn't sound like real love to me.

sounds like tyranny.
I'd rather have a God that was solidly in control of it all than the one that sits around wringing his hands because he hopes we choose him and just hopes it all works out ok.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I'd rather have a God that was solidly in control of it all than the one that sits around wringing his hands because he hopes we choose him and just hopes it all works out ok.
Responsibility is a b*tch . . . we know. Unfortunately . . . it is ours and not God's. Try to grow into it. Maturity helps. BTW . . . God does not hope . . . we do. God knows.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:38 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
The universe is indifferent. We just evolved from a billion-year process, now it's up to us to take care of ourselves.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
we are not held by God accountable for the cards we get dealt, but on how well we play them.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Responsibility is a b*tch . . . we know. Unfortunately . . . it is ours and not God's. Try to grow into it. Maturity helps. BTW . . . God does not hope . . . we do. God knows.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
Disability is socially constructed, so is beauty. Really the person who is "ugly" is just as she should be, and if people cannot accept that, it's their problem, not hers. The label "ugly" is just a label reflecting an opinion, it is not truth. We live in a universe with lots of offensive stuff potentially, and mostly its indifferent to our own particular tastes; its a mistake to think our opinion is equivocal to transcendent truth. Comming to terms with that is wisdom.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post

sounds like tyranny.
Christian theism denies God "needs" our love, so God isn't trying to coerce anybody, because he has nothing to gain from a relationship with you, me, or anybody else. There's no manipulation involved. The "unbearable circumstances" are a product of choice and freedom, and not God's intentions. God graciously extends a covenant to human beings, not to prove his goodness to cynical atheists (because he owes human beings nothing and human beings owe him everything), but out of love for his creation. If they choose to forgo his covenant, he will still love them but they will not benefit from that covenant.

God is a tyrrant? Wait, one minute you say God doesn't do anything (and hence we shouldn't believe), now you are saying he does too much (coercing you to believe), make up your mind...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM

[quote=Time and Space;22358235]
Quote:
And after a while even the whole 'God loves you' bit, begins to ring hollow, when people don't see no evidence of that in their own lives... When people are sorounded by 'loving people' they tend to think God loves them...but when an outcast, and alone.....
Some people still believe, even in those circumstances and to do so is heroic,whereas to believe when life is good for you is just doing your duty- as Jesus said, it makes one an unprofitable servant, deserving no reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality