Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times

Advertisements

From: Pope calls for protection of environment, says creation-evolution debate is ‘absurdity’

Pope calls for protection of environment, says creation-evolution debate is ‘absurdity’

Lorenzago di Cadore, Jul 26, 2007 / 09:52 am (CNA).- The debate between creationism and evolution is an “absurdity” since evolution can coexist with faith, said Pope Benedict XVI this week while vacationing in the mountains of northern Italy.

While there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory cannot exclude a role by God, he said according to MSNBC News.

“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the Pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

However, evolution does not answer all of the great philosophical questions, he said, including: Where does everything come from?

The Pope’s comments came during a question and answer session with a group of 400 priests, deacons, and seminarians from the region where he is vacationing. In his responses he also spoke about the need to care for the Earth. He urged people to listen to “the voice of the Earth” or risk destroying its very existence.

“We cannot simply do what we want with this Earth of ours, with what has been entrusted to us,” said the Pope.

World religions have shown a growing interest in the environment, particularly the ramifications of climate change, he noted. “We must respect the interior laws of creation, of this Earth, to learn these laws and obey them if we want to survive.”

“This obedience to the voice of the Earth is more important for our future happiness ... than the desires of the moment. Our Earth is talking to us and we must listen to it and decipher its message if we want to survive,” he stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
What does the Pope hope to accomplish by being so sensible? I mean really...

Old 07-27-2007, 02:54 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
The Pope sounds right on target with this one.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
The Pope has said many things. So have I.

Doesn't mean he's right, just means he said it.

The debate over Evolution and Creationism matters....if God is God.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
I don't think it's absurd. Heck, it sure gives me something to do

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
The Pope has said many things. So have I.

Doesn't mean he's right, just means he said it.

The debate over Evolution and Creationism matters....if God is God.
Well Alpha we KNOW you aren't right.

But I still don't understand why evolution as God's plan doesn't work.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:48 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well Alpha we KNOW you aren't right.

But I still don't understand why evolution as God's plan doesn't work.
irishmom, I don't know how to say this that hasn't already been said, but I'll try....

If we evolved from the same sludge everything else did, then exactly what part of us is in God's image? If God didn't create Adam as the Bible says He did, then that means that sin didn't enter the world through one man, and hence, it isn't defeated by one man. If you can take my bible apart at Genesis 1, the rest doesn't stand up either. And if Adam wasn't real, we can't trust Christ.

Evolution is denying the Word, the Savior, and God.

It also is non-existant, but then here me and GCSTroop go again!!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
irishmom, I don't know how to say this that hasn't already been said, but I'll try....

If we evolved from the same sludge everything else did, then exactly what part of us is in God's image? If God didn't create Adam as the Bible says He did, then that means that sin didn't enter the world through one man, and hence, it isn't defeated by one man. If you can take my bible apart at Genesis 1, the rest doesn't stand up either. And if Adam wasn't real, we can't trust Christ.

Evolution is denying the Word, the Savior, and God.

It also is non-existant, but then here me and GCSTroop go again!!
No, I agree with what you said actually, other than the non-existent part But, it is very true what you said about picking the Bible apart at Genesis 1. That, unfortunately, seems to be the biggest controversy between atheists and Christians wouldn't you say? It really boils down to what you believe after reviewing the evidence for yourself and making a decision. I've realized, especially after posting on this board, that you cannot change someone's belief by showing them evidence you find believable and trustworthy. If another person sees it as believable and they choose to believe it there's little chance you are going to convince them otherwise. There are exceptions to this, and for the most part, those are children. I think that's why atheists become so discouraged when people want to throw the evolutionary theory out of school. But, I'm not going to get into that AGAIN.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Pope John Paul said pretty much the same thing. The Catholic Church is indeed open to the idea that some Bible stories are allegorical, and much to its credit, it has no problem with evolution, so long as God is somehow included in the equation! Believing in God and accepting evolutionary theory do NOT have to be mutually exclusive propositions. I've always believed that to be the case.

The pope's comments about the environment are not a big surprise, either. When I was a good Catholic, having dominion over the earth to me always meant being a good steward of it, not doing with it what I want.

The Catholic church also opposed the Iraq war and is against capital punishment. It's more progressive on many issues than some of us may imagine.

Last edited by Adrian71; 07-27-2007 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Is it possible that God gathered one of the man-like creatures (homonoids or whatever you want to call them) that roamed the earth just like the other animals and changed him so that he could THINK and know right from wrong? Changed him so that he would know who and what God was????

Is it possible that the "made in his own image" meant that he became a reasoning being? He became a companion because of whatever gave him the ability to converse with God.

I really don't think it means a Physical image with facial hair and a penis. Does God have kidneys and bowels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality